Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

Praise being Frugal <3

:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I've recently gotten into more craft related things, I've got little budgets for christmas and its SO FUN! I've budgeted £100 for my entire family, including my Mums birthday gift ( shes born on Christmas, its annoying! ) its also her 40th, so I've budgeted £30 to find a piece of jewellery! Oh its so exciting.

There is something very satisfying about making money last longer.

So what're you doing for Christmas? Any nice neat tricks to save spending those pennies?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Usually I work on people's Christmas presents year round so I can save the most money and not spend it on all kinds of things at once. Usually I just try to use things I already have, like wood boards instead of going out and buying expensive canvases. I also made a habit of using all of my supplies until it is impossible to use them any longer; a lot of my drawing pencils are little stubs but they work fine! X3
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I am going to buy a new phone, so yeah, that is my little gift for me
:iconjaredtrombley:
JaredTrombley Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I am going to purchase a probably like a Corvette for my mother, and I'll also buy her a $3,000 24K gold wrist watch, maybe one of those expensive coffee makers that does everything, and a flat screen...
Yes, that will happen.
:iconriseofgreenbean:
RiseofGreenBean Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
I'm going to hand-make gifts for my family and friends (paintings, illustrations, baked goods, etc) and buy cute, functional, and inexpensive treats. Any suggestions for those treats?
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
That sounds nice! Brownies, cookies, maybe chocolate truffles? I have a massive sweet tooth though, oh maybe turkish delight too?
RiseofGreenBean Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
I don't know how to make truffles or turkish delights. Maybe I'll do peanut butter cookies b/c I have the ingredients for that and the recipe doesn't look hard (I'm slow and clumsy in the kitchen :p)
Google!
RiseofGreenBean Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
or my mom's favourite cookbook :XD:
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I bought my sister a bunch of Pokemon plushies on Ebay. I'm sure Christmas will just be us playing with our new stuff and eating. I like it that way though.
Cuuute!
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Yeah. :3
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Definitely. :nod:

I spend £10 on food a week and I hear my housemates spend something like £50-£60. It boggles my mind how you can spend so much, but.. maybe that's just me. ^^;

I'll be visiting my fiancé in New York. :la:
A lot of the people at uni did that too. They would spend 60 and I would be spending about £10-£15. I was impressed!
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Exactly! It's amazing. :O
:icontrutze:
Trutze Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
As you are a 3d artist too,
maybe this is something for you www.shapeways.com/ ,

I was thinking about sculpting a caricature of my parents and printing it,
some materials are surprisingly "cheap", there are other 3d printing services,
some have paper and cardboard which is better in prize.

I have very few money too and making nice presents with few money is quite hard.
My lil cousin is getting a german-english song book and two books about animals I
bought for his birthday in summer, but forgot to give him ^^

My brother is still missing the last Harry Potter dvd, so that's easy enough.

I really have NO idea what so ever for my grandma and grandpa,
they are always the hardest, don't you think?
Last year I wanted to write a letter to my Granny, but mom said "don't write anything that could make her cry, not even happy cry"
so I didn't write anything because my gran cries a lot for various reasons...
:iconmagnanimoussquirrel:
magnanimousSquirrel Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
I don't save any money. >.> I just buy what they want or something that I think they might want. I did sort of limit myself to 100 dollars for my sister and mom's gifts, though. I ended up just under so that's good.
Crazy!
:iconxerafcz:
XerafCZ Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Not giving presents to people is a good way to save money :D. But yeah i guess if you are good at making stuff you could make something for them...assuming you can make something they would appreciate.

Anyway i should probably start thinking what to do myself :|
This stuff is hard.

You could find some not so pricey stuff on etsy i guess, if you wont get screwed over with shipping that is.
And just simple stuff like not buying things in the first place you see it .
I can't really not buy gifts, because, well, its christmas :D
XerafCZ Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yeah, what can you do right? You want to give people stuff on Christmass. Thats just how it is :D
Well, I've already went and done the not buying many gifts, but it sucks and I feel guilty.
Yeah but its still almost a month to christmass, maybe you will see some little things that will be great for some people and you might get those. And besides i am sure people understand you are on a budget and they will apreciate anything from you. Just give them a big hug and do some puppy eyes and people will be like "What presents? What christmass?"...you are too cute for this not to work :)
Its my Mothers 40th, I can't get away with it. I could for my Dad, but he -deserves- a good present :)
Haha, i can imagine there would be less success with mom than with dad. Maybe make her a picture from a wedding photo? Or when she was a kid, or a picture of some relative. A lot of people like that stuff.
My parents aren't married, I'm going to be finding a photograph of my nan who passed away, and will be colouring it.
Add a Comment: