Scientific Study On Magic Mushrooms Makes Big News

[link]

^ ^
READ THE ARTICLE!

This thing here is big news to me, for one I'm shocked that anyone was allowed to do such a study. But for two, this only reinforces something real important about brain chemistry. The experiences that we have and the way in which we perceive things are dictated by the distribution of chemicals in our brains. "You could be a piece of fish, or a bit of old cheese," as Ebenezer Scrooge might say. The only difference between seeing a vegetable garden house and family, and the divine collective unity of all creation, is eating a little fuckin slightly-toxic mushroom.

And look at what these people, who are apparently just regular folks, say:

"Many of the 36 volunteers rated their reaction to a single dose of the drug, called psilocybin, as one of the most meaningful or spiritually significant experiences of their lives. Some compared it to the birth of a child or the death of a parent."

"most of the volunteers said the experience had changed them in beneficial ways, such as making them more compassionate, loving, optimistic and patient. Family members and friends said they noticed a difference, too."

"Two-thirds called their reaction to psilocybin one of the five top most meaningful experiences of their lives. On another measure, one-third called it the most spiritually significant experience of their lives, with another 40 percent ranking it in the top five."

"experience included such things as a sense of pure awareness and a merging with ultimate reality, a transcendence of time and space, a feeling of sacredness or awe, and deeply felt positive mood like joy, peace and love. People say "they can't possibly put it into words," Griffiths said."

Now I know what these people experienced, having maybe eaten a few magic mushrooms a time or two myself...but I'll be honest, seeing it on CNN sent big fuckin shivers right down my spine and made all the nerves in my body tingle.
Comments126
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
the simple fact is that no one NEEDS to take drugs like shrooms, acid, or DMT, or anything else you can think of. it is a choice you make, and it is not a shortcut to or from anything. as modern human beings, living in the overly developed, desensitized, superficial society that we live in, we are actually detached from reality thanks to such a large majority of what we come in contact with every day being unnatural material, whether we're talking about tangible technology or the psychological effects the said technology has on us. my friend just told me today about his personal experience with shrooms, and made me understand it much more clearly. he said that while he was tripping, things that should not bother us but do for some irrational reason, did not even enter his mind as negative things. for example, he was at a nature preserve, and there were mosquitoes and other bugs all over the place and all over him and his friend, and instead of being annoyed or disgusted by them as we normally are, he was absolutely fine with it. he felt completely at one with them, as we should be, if you think about it- we are, after all, made of the same natural matter. humans have this sense that we are somehow above nature, or more advanced than nature, cleaner than nature, in some way not 100% natural. I'm not explaining it nearly as well as he did, but if you really think about it, that is an incredibly desirable thing to be able to see so clearly and feel and experience. the real connection that made me see the significance of what he was saying was, if you think about it, when we were less intellectually developed (say somewhere in between caveman and modern humans) we were definitely in that same state of mind which my friend got to experience. the way we are now is NOT completely naturally, and is only getting further and further removed as time goes on from what our natural perception of the world and ourselves should be, would be, and has been. so, think of a drug such as shrooms as a way to break through our flawed, overcomplicated, detached modern lives and get in touch with what actually matters to the rest of the universe. not as something that we use to detach ourselves from reality, because it is quite the opposite.
Why does it matter if its an old thread? the topic is still interesting.
yeah they're fun. what i love is seeing the similar conclusions buddhist monks meditating and silly kids tripping on shrooms come to. i'm sure that the buddhist monks having the epiphanies through the power of their own mind and not the influence of foreign chemicals are much wiser, but it's still fun to see the similarities.
Every time you revive an old thread God kills a baby. Think of the babies.
someone else did it! it wasn't me. i didn't know it was old. it was on the front page and i am bad at looking at dates.

but babies won't convince me not to, for future reference.
Trivia: Cary Grant took LSD under a pychiatrists supervision. He loved it.
On his deathbed, Aldous Huxley had his doctor inject him with pure liquid LSD.
I'm shocked that anyone was allowed to do such a study How so?

Drugs considered 'recreational' now a deep routed history in experiments used to identify the effect on the mind, particularly in relationship counselling. Check out the history of MDMA development where it was frequently used in psychotherapy and person centred counselling.

I think we need to move away from demonising substances which used correctly and under proper supervision might actually open up people's minds.
Well let's consider for a moment how backwards and crazy the American government is on the matter of illegal drugs and drug research...now think about the Federal Government actually FUNDING a study like this...that it happened is incredible. I'm surprised the DEA didn't raid John Hopkins.
Sounds really interesting, but I'd probably be too chicken to try it, I'm really afraid of side effects and I've aquaintanced with people who have died from stimulants like speed.
No matter how many medical studies there are proving the contrary, some people will never be convinced that psychedelics (or scheduled psychoactive drugs of any kind, really) are anything short of evil.
Only cause of the stigma surrounding them. tattoes used to have the same steretype but now they're almost acceptable.

One day, it could change.
hmm... seems intresting would like too try it? but it seems risky.
[link]

Read this article, despite the medical/therapeutic attention paid to mushrooms, the US government still actively prosecutes known users and promoters of magic mushrooms.
this is really kind of old news.

there has been an ongoing study of psilocyban in north carolina for some time now.
Well of course it's old news, people have been eating mushrooms in religious rituals for thousands of years. Hell Tim Leary only got all crazy enlightened-like after he went to some kind of mushroom ceremony on vacation in Mexico. This is the first time I've seen a study about em on CNN though.
"The experiences that we have and the way in which we perceive things are dictated by the distribution of chemicals in our brains."

*Your brain is electro-chemical in nature. You can also produce altered states with disruptions or sychronization with EM fields.
i ate mushrooms for the first time about 14 months ago, and it was great. since then i've done it 3 more times and each time was fantastic, although the last two were significantly less profound.

i think it's a terriffic "drug" that should be decriminalized.
I would say that the biggest benefit of psychedelics is that they show the person what their own mind is capable of. The challenge is then to tune the mind toward that goal through a spiritual discipline.

It's like the differance between climbing a mountain and taking a helicopter to the top. The climber learns the terrain.
So THAT'S how one becomes a liberal! It's so clear now. I just KNEW that there had to be some sort of drug involved in altering the natural state of the human psyche so drastically, and they finally found it. Congratulations to them :)