Should "Muslims" become a new race like "Hispanics"?

"Muslims" tend to bear a lot of racism and cause a lot of problems in the west but aren't officially considered a race in their own right. They tend to be quite into segregation and are in their own right associated with a lot of socio-economic problems that get overlooked.

The United States has a definition of race called "Latinos/Hispanics" that is used to represent people from countries in the Americas located south of the USA.

I think it would be progressive to establish a new class of race called "Muslims" to represent this ethnic group. I think the United Kingdom has stated to move in this direction and I think several European countries already informally do this.
Comments136
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
That wouldn't make any sense. Muslims are people who follow a religion, their not a race. By that logic you might as well give Scientologists their own race as well. 
Muslims are not a race. They are a group who practice a religion. Anyone of any race can be Muslim, there are middle eastern, black, Asian, even white eastern European Muslims! If Muslims are a race then might as well call Christians a race too. Which is silly because Christianity is practiced all over the world of various races and ethnicities.
You can't convert to or from a race.
Now that's what i call shitpost !
Humans shouldn't be split up into "races". We are all the same piece of shit, after all :nod:
I can agree that the world would be a better place without people discriminating against each other based on race. 

However, I think the classification of different races is useful when talking about a certain group of people. 
Well, you can use their nationality instead x)
What about in ethnically diverse countries like the US? 
Then refer to people's original home nation.
You don't need that race stuff to differ people from another.
Islam is a religion not a "race". If you mean Arabs (a lot of Muslims are not even Arab) there are not enough of them in the US to require reclassifying them (Arabs are currently classed as non-Hispanic Whites under the US census).
Why would you want a religion to be a race? By your logic, anybody who's Christian should be part of the Christian race.
Mohammedanism should be reclassified as a mental illness, some might say. Others might point to mounting evidence for it being an aggressive and expansionist, and totalitarian political ideology. One that is hostile towards and incompatible with western civilisation, individualism, classical liberalism and intellectualism. One allowing no room for free thought and freedom of expression. The very fact that many schools of Islam believe the proper way to deal with apostates, i.e. those who wish to leave the 'religion', is to kill them, says all that needs to be said.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r018oh…
That doesn't make sense. Muslims are people who are part of the Islamic religion. Not an a background that has an ancestry from Spain or a Spanish speaking country.
"Hispanics" is only used to denote those from come from Latin America; they can speak any language and come from any racial background.
Spanish and Portuguese are often included under the Hispanic umbrella. 
Hispanic isn't a valid term outside the United States. In Europe. the idea of a "hispanic" race doesn't exist. They know what you mean though... they've got Muslims.
Even in the US, it's not a race but an ethnicity.
I think that "Muslims" should become an ethnicity like Hispanics.
Except that they aren't one, as I've pointed out.  There are many ethnic groups within Islam.
It's not a race.:stinkeye: Races are skin deep.
A religion can't be a race. End of story. 
The jews called. They want your statement taken back.
There are religious Jews who are not genetically Jews.