Millennials Want To Ban Offensive Speech

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlM2iy…

www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/…

America speech by Valzeras Europe speech by Valzeras

So most western nations have already banned hate speech and some have even enacted anti trolling laws where you can be jailed for posting anything remotely offensive

I was telling :iconsaffireprowler: the other time that whatever leftist idea Europeans have is going to influence America to a certain degree, and it looks like the worst leftist idea from Europe might end free speech in America at some point in the future.There is already a culture of intolerance towards free speech in America right now where people will get financially destroyed for saying anything remotely racist or politically incorrect.

I think that freedom of speech and the right to bear arms will end by the end of the century due to mass immigration, changing culture and low American birth rates.There are several ways to change the constitution after all and all that is required are numbers.

Do you think that offensive speech should be banned?

Will America ever abolish freedom of speech?

Is it morally justified to silence someone just because their words are hurting certain groups of people?

Is the European system of jailing racists and trolls the superior way?

Comments84
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
This is common knowledge. Just leave them alone to kill eachother off, the smarter ones will emerge sooner or later.
If enough people speak up about it theirs no doubt they will at least try to regulate free speech which is just completely insane.
You might as well just ban having an opinion altogether. Whats the point in having an opinion any ways if can't even talk about
it.

I can't believe that the majority Europe would agree with limiting free-speech. Of course that would explain why most of my
European friends get so pissy with me at times.
Just be aware of what it is you are defending. If an imam were to stand up in a New York mosque and say it is every Muslim's duty to bomb America, you are defending that too. Osama bin Laden technically committed no crime in US law. He simply sat in a cave and exercised some free speech.

When the right of the mouth to move is ahead of the right of a heart to beat something is seriously wrong with a nation's constitution. The right to talk must never be allowed to endanger the right to life.
They must be really brainwashed by schools, and Political b.s correctness.
The problem is the overly sensitive idiots. We throw away the sensitive people and I guarantee there won't be as much people complaining about free speech.

Also isolate any ongoing and current European ideology except for any country that isn't polluted with extreme left wing cancer.

Censorship due to "hurwwting feeeeelingz" is immoral. It hides the truth.
Them arresting trolls just shows that they can't handle comments or criticism. Talking shit about someone isn't a crime, even politicians do it in front of live TV.

The day freedom of speech and the Second Amendment being banned is the day the Second Civil War begins.
Being overly sensitive in apart of the ideology, it is not just the people.

The over sensitive behaviors, in some part, are being manufactured by the thinking and lies being taught,
That's why we need to remove the people corrupting society with lies.
It shouldn't be banned as it could possibly open up opportunities, unless its just pure hate, then you'd have to do something about it.
oh wow, that's interesting.. I think it's totally contradictory though, the way that we're handling free speech these days. I'm not sure how it's unacceptable for donald sterling to be banned from the NBA over his words on black people, yet how at the same time it's acceptable for comedians to make the same type of remarks. One person loses everything, while others are glorified, and I think it's ridiculous. Banning free speech doesn't do anything either, people are always entitled to their opinions, and I just think it's a matter of common sense and having the ability to tolerate different things said about you, as of course, not everyone in the world has to love you
Because people are dumb and hate freedom these days.
It is all the Horse Shoe effect really.
When people associate "Freedom of speech" with hate speech, neo nazis, militant communists, and bigotry, then something has gone wrong. Very wrong.

Rather funny though - the same laws that keep groups like the KKK and the WBC from being censored also are used to protect feminists, LGBTQ activists, and the kept the Civil Rights movement from being quashed in the 50s and 60s. Believe you me, you all know of some people who happily would have wanted freedom of speech limited in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. 

Oh sure you hear people like PETA and Anne Coulter speak yet nothing worthwhile ever comes out of the mouths... but guess what? That means that they can't censor you back. Are you ready for when your opinions become considered "offensive" and you find yourself banned from campuses while your magnum opus you fought tooth and nail to get published and recognised is now banned because it is considered offensive? Didn't you remember how many books you never would have even heard of were it not for people trying to take them away from you in elementary school? (Harry Potter, anyone?) 

And before you say that will never happen because you are right... consider how things have shfited. Suppose I took you back in time to 2000 and told you that within 15 years, gay people would be allowed to marry in the U.S and that Colorado&Washington legalized marijuana in 2012. Most people would have laughed either thinking that would be impossible, or laughed and thought it wouldn't happen THAT SOON. 

I guarantee you that a period piece written about the early 20th century will be deemed offensive in 20-30 years. Just look at some stuff from the 1980s or even the 1990s and be surprised at how that wouldn't work today. 
Free Speech is a lefty ideal actually........it started in France with philosophers like Voltaire.
Benjamin Franklin traveled to France and actually brought back this ideas with him.

Freedom of speech unfortunely is always violated, specially here in the states. I experienced it as a teen when 9 of my classmates got arrested for expressing their voice. Their constitutional rights where brutally violated when the school authorities and the police arrested them even the minors without having an adult parent present or a lawyer.
They only wrote a bunch of stupidity on a paper and called it the first amendment, the school's answer was far worst.

So see freedom of speech is always targeted most people cant handle it.
Voltaire and Ben Franklin would be absolutely disgusted with the type of people who call themselves 'liberal' nowadays.
They were not liberals. Voltaire believed in a monarch and benjamin on state trade how does it make them liberals.
Who cares if they were liberals.  modern day liberals,  claim to espouse 'left wing'(classically) ideas(free speech),but contradict themselves with authoritarian policies and demands.

So on record you are saying Volitaire would not be disgusted with the modern liberals approach to restricting free speech and banning offensive literature?(whilst claiming to be champions of say free speech)

And you are saying Ben Franklin would not be disgusted by the restricting of free speech by those who claim to be champions of free speech?(liberals)
Someone tell my fellow millennials to actually think about the implications of their actions. It's not just hurting free speech, it's beginning to hurt EVERYTHING. I can't even enjoy video games as a hobby without seeing anything that may be related to GamerGate. And now Dead or Alive: Extreme 3 isn't being sold to the US due to GamerGate-related events. While DoA Extreme 3 isn't the kind of game I typically play, what happens when we eventually have critically acclaimed, very artistic video game that tackles taboo issues which has a similar presentation, albeit more relevant to the story or topic and it gets banned? It reminds me a lot of events in the past where well-known books in literature got banned from being teached in schools because of its content.
I believe in free speech, and common courtesy. It shouldn't be illegal to be an asshole, just discouraged.
Well, only the speech of others. When it comes to speaking their own mind, they are peerless and are suppose to be unchallenged.
Which is why I say this

"Within 20-40 years, your speech will be considered offensive by the future generations, and since they would use your logic, ergo it is okay for you to be censored and for them to just be able to do that no questions asked. Are you ready? And if you say it won't happen... it will. how many things do you consider racist or sexist, but don't realise that at the time they were written, it was actually perfectly acceptable or - believe it or not - maybe even considered progressive?"

"Don't believe me? Song of the South - everyone knows it's considered racist, but did you know that was actually a very positive portrayal of black people for the time, and Disney worked hard for Baskett's performance to be acknowledged? Did you know that it was actually considered quite dating for Buckwheat to even be in The Three Little Rascals? Or that Mammy in Gone With the Wind was considered a strong female and a strong black character? Or that Mandrake the Magician treated a black character with more respect than other comics did for the time? OR that the Athenian Democracy was actually VERY progressive for its time, despite the exclusion of women? Or that Abraham freaking Lincoln would be considered a racist if he were alive today?" 

"Times change. It's not always in your favour. So are you ready to fight for your own free speech?" 
Why I am ready to fight my free speech.
oh that's not to you. ;) 
It's what I say to people with the mentality of how it's only their spech that matters.