Western definitions of "privilege"

A lot of times, there are people who think that "Asians are not oppressed" which is hardly true because it ignores history and economic status. A lot of discourse pertaining to which group is more privileged than who is often based in North America and Western Europe. So many often assume that a black man in the United States is more oppressed than an Asian or Native American man (in terms of anti-blackness that is probably true but not in others). Questions to ask are:

:bulletblue: Are the regions of Eastern Europe, Asia, Latin America and Africa more privileged than oppressed people in the United States?
:bulletblue: Would you consider a black man more oppressed than a white woman or vice-versa?
:bulletblue: Would you consider that there is anti-blackness in Eastern Europe, Latin America and Asia? Or more misogyny/homophobia within those regions?

A lot of tumblr social justice bloggers and anti-SJWs both make the same Western-defined mistakes and assume and act that just because someone said something must mean that they're this and that.

As someone who has traveled abroad and has had international experience, I can tell you that the rules are VERY different. What are your thoughts?
Comments50
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Most people on Tumblr and social justice bloggers haven't actually left their country at all or read about it. 

Several people I've read about promoting things like "Keep white people away from pocs" I've responded to with, "Steven Biko is rolling in his grave right now" and they had no idea who I was talking about. 

Because funny... isnt' that the logic used by segregationists and apartheidists? 
If you mention names like Steve Biko or Thomas Sankara, chances are that many of these tumblr users' minds will turn into a complete blank. Also, not a lot of these people have ever been to a protest in their lives ever (I've been to protests against white supremacist police brutality and I can tell you that real life activism is nothing like what you see on tumblr). Tumblr is more interested in reblogging stuff related to Anime, Superwholock, Homestuck, MTV and celebrities.
Nope. They definitely haven't been to a protest before in their lives. They also haven't really done much in the way of research or anything. 
Nor do they have life experience of any kind.
Nope. 

Then again a lot of 'em graduated into the worst job market ever after being scared into college by their parents who went in when a degree was a golden ticket to employment. 
top kek at people who talk of history and then refer to Asians as one group. Yeah, the history of Asia is just one big group hug.
And a brony like you is any more informed than someone with experience traveling abroad?
Nice ad hom broh C;
So basically you're telling me you're a waste of space?
I'll take that as a yes.
What does knowing some history have to do with travelling abroad? You don't need to be an expert to know the Asian countries haven't exactly got along with each other in the past.
What does that mean? What's irrelevant?
This is a discussion on racial issues outside the US and Western Europe. Not about whether or not Asia is "one big group hug" or not.
Yeah so it's very much to do with the discussion. You talk of whether the Asians are more or less repressed than the West without thinking about whether they are oppressed amongst themselves. You're either assuming yourself or taking on the argument that assumes only white people can be privileged. Who do you support in a racist argument between a Japanese and Chinese person? No white boogeyman to point finger at.
View all replies
"asia" is politically incorrect. You must say "eurasia"
 So many often assume that a black man in the United States is more oppressed than an Asian or Native American man (in terms of anti-blackness that is probably true but not in others)

This is genius: you've discovered that a Black man suffers more anti-Black prejudice than someone who isn't black. Wow!

A lot of tumblr social justice bloggers and anti-SJWs both make the same Western-defined mistakes and assume and act that just because someone said something must mean that they're this and that.

No - not "this and that"! Anything but that! (Except this...)
Are you a troll account?
You seem to be saying that oppression and privilege are two sides of the same coin. They are not. Both are pretty vague terms, though. 
No dude. This is not about whether or not they're vague terms. This is about whether or not countries outside the US and Western Europe are considered "privileged" and whether or not an Eastern European immigrant is considered more "privileged" than an African-American.
Well, I'm afraid the vagueness of these terms, along with the very vague questions you're asking, make it impossible for me to answer you. 

Countries are not privileged. Countries have relative levels of power and wealth, and these factors give them advantages or disadvantages. Does the US consider Paraguay privileged? The question is entirely without meaning. 

As far as whether an Eastern European immigrant is considered more "privileged" than an African-American, considered by whom, privileged in what way? A rich African-American or a poor one? Or am I supposed to imagine a generic representative of each group and then determine which one is more privileged?

What do you mean by privileged? Are countries and individuals or groups privileged in the same way? 
What we're dealing with here is how US sees certain groups of white people such as the Irish, the Italians, the Greeks and several Eastern Europeans in comparison to that of blacks. African immigrants however come from an entirely different background entirely different from African-Americans. The United States has a system of white supremacy but it doesn't consider certain groups of white people as "white" so the system disenfranchises them to the point where they have a hard life. It does the same with blacks (both African-American and African immigrants alike). We also have Hispanics and Latinos who have been subjugated by the same white supremacy. Whites in general (not every) have had easier lives than blacks, but it doesn't mean that whites can't be victims of exploitation, oppression, subjugation and discrimination caused by the rich white men in power. African-Americans have faced less oppression than African immigrants because Africa is seen as a "wasteland" by both whites and African-Americans alike.

I'd also like to mention that there are different rules and that there are different situations in regards to racial issues in countries like Japan and China as opposed to countries like the United States or the United Kingdom. If you're an African-American living in Japan, you're just an American. If you're an African living in Japan, you're African.
All countries have unique histories when it comes to race relations, and I don't deny that the US has a particularly terrible history as regards Native-Americans and African-Americans. I don't think this history is due to any inherent character flaws in the people of the US as compared to other countries. Otherwise I disagree with your characterizations. I don't think there is a system of white supremacy in the US. Japan? They have almost no black people living there. Still, they have a fair amount of offensive representations of black people in their culture. In the US African-Americans have faced less oppression than African immigrants? On what do you base this statement? Americans see Africa as a wasteland? What Americans? Idiots?