Are Dress Codes at Public Schools a Violation of Freedom of Speech?

I was wondering why public school dress codes aren't a violation of Freedom of Speech. Namely the ones that ban certain graphics. Public school's are public property which would mean they are under constitutional law. 
Comments46
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I can see the argument go both ways honestly.
Nazi Germany did it right by hiring a really good fashion company to do the uniforms
Hitler Youth Rally 1939 by TheMistRunsRed 34 by Circle--A

Those uniforms actually looks good.
Yes, Hugo Boss. 
The haircuts are refined and look professional, as well. 
if you aren't an adult- you aren't a citizen- and you will be treated as such.
There's no such thing as a "public school." They are only "government-owned" schools. That's why "the public" has no say what happens at these schools. The schools are there to break the spirit of your children, and condition them to be overly-loyal to the State. And we all know (or at least should) that governments (especially the United States government and the 50 state governments) only seem to want overly-loyal citizens even to the detriment of said citizens.
Really? In my experience, most "public schools" promote nearly the exact opposite of loyalty and allegiance towards the United States government, let alone that of the individual state. In my school there was nearly no since of national pride, sure we had a flag pole out front, but other than that no flags were hung up in the school, we didn't recite the pledge of allegiance, and hardly any teachers mentioned anything about current events regarding the US, good or bad. 
Really? I guess that makes you one of the few lucky ones!
Not really, no. We're talking about minors here, which already have restricted rights. For example, schools' banned book lists, prohibition of firearms, knives, etc., restriction of inappropriate conversation.
Dress codes are to protect the jobs of staff members, not enforce some sort of evil plan to restrict free speech. There's all kinds of lunatic parents who would sue the school for promoting underage drinking if they spotted a kid wearing a shirt that mentioned alcohol in some way. And if a girl is wearing a skimpy outfit she can accuse an adult of being a pedophile just for looking in her general direction without any perverse intent.
"you're here to learn!"

And yet schools don't ban socialization.
In all honesty, I do think a uniform for all in public schools would not be a bad idea. You go to school to learn, not to be a fashion statement. Sure, one should be able to express themselves, but we must have into account that your clothes can make you a target for bullies, because kids and teens are little fucks who need time to learn to respect others...

An equalizer would remove lots of problems and ease the parents headaches concerning their kids dressing.

I was not bullied, because I was a sick fuck, capable of smashing heads against walls and stuff, but a classmate got hit with a stick by an older boy that considered her clothing ridiculous, so he felt he had to do something about it, like sending her to the hospital...ugh
We have uniforms here, and it's not really worth it, to be honest.
They're uncomfortable, they look horrible, they make you look like a right idiot, and they make you feel less important.

(Ha, coming from a guy with self-esteem issues)
Here is the thing.

They are uncomfortable, yes, or depending..., they are ugly, yes, they may look you weird, yes.

But everybody is equally ridiculous, or uncomfortable with those clothes.

I am a fashion person, in fact I can be myself a fashion statement, but there was a time my clothes did not match the popular criteria. Something as stupid as the clothes you wear the first day to school can determine how socially you do that yeat. Sure, there are other factors and while comments were made concerning my worn down clothes and I was able to shut up mouths using other (and violent) tactics, socially withdrawn kids with "non popular" clothes can end up isolated. It is stupid?. Yes, but a uniform is an equalizer, everybody looks equally ridiculous on them and it removes some stress on the kids.

A friend of mine had a load of bullying coming to her and it all started with her clothes. Kids should learn to respect others, but in the mean time, something as stupid as shoes or a jacket can make you the target for bullying, or at least an starter, if apart from being poorly dressed you lack social skills.

In fact, the kids of a friend of mine are always aware that clothes play a role in popularity. They are nice kids, not spoiled but they will tel the mom, If I wear this to school, I am done. It is not even a contest of who wears the most expensive clothes, neither, but a uniform would remove all that nonsense.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. 
First, calm the fluck down. you wrote three paragraphs because of a school uniform comment!
Second, I don't think clothes are that important, if they are, your area is complete shlit.
Third, If she was bullied for her clothes, why didn't she just buy new clothes?

Also, we have non school uniform day, and I once wore old weird clothes to school that a, barely fit me, b, were pink and brown. (Shirt pink, trousers brown) and c, No one cared, so it's either
a, your area is complete shlit, or b, everyone in your school overreacts.
Woha woha woha, wohaaaaa

First, calm the fuck down. You addressed me first, if you do not want an explanation, why do you ever reply to me in the first place. What I am telling you is something not uncommon, it is human nature, not everybody behaves like that, but have you seen the US schools, ever?

Second, my area is not complete shit, probably yours is more shit than mine. Kids can be assholes, it can be cultural too. TV plays a role too

She was fucking poor, for starters and her mom "lacked sense of fashion". It is not that she was beaten because of that, but it sets an initial spark

You are repeating yourself. Also, I am out of school. Have more experience with school than you have and different fucking countries

If you do not want long paragraphs get the fuck out of the forums, mine is barely that long :la::la::la:
View all replies
Sure, it's against freedom of speech, but so are many other things.
Public institutions are permitted to make rules, just as court houses can ban phones. Constitutionality does not come into play because the student is there voluntarily. If he wants to wear a t-shirt with certain graphics, the school is not preventing him from doing so- they are forbidding it within their premises only. He has the option to go to another school- and if that school bans it, that's too bad. There is not a constitutional requirement for public institutions to exist where everyone can do what ever they want.
Free education is a privilege, so deal with it and follow the rules like all the rest of us do in society, kiddo.
It's a necessary tool for educators. I think it's pretty much accepted practice, but there was a recent case where a school was sued because they made the kids wear the school logo and the school motto, "Tomorrow's Leaders". Seems like a pretty stupid thing to sue somebody over, but... The courts said a uniform code is OK, but the text and logo should be reviewed.  
Been out of school for years, and think uniforms would have been a good idea looking back! This coming from someone that follows his own style and wears lots of leather(tastefully styled) in public!!!
Technically, yes. However, this should rather clarify the matter better than The-Necromancer could ever explain...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Am…
Basically from what I understood, you had very, very few rights when it comes to being in the school system. I can't think of any of the rights outlined in any founding documents of the United States that would be allowed in schools these days.

It's like they don't kick in until you graduate and/or turn 18.

Something is off with school grounds, because your second amendment is invalid too. Unless you're certain Chicago school districts.
No.

Uniform teaches you to know what is acceptable and what is not. You need to know that early since you have to wear accordingly at work.