The USA and the new aristocracy

A common theme mentioned when people talk about the founding of the USA is how it broke away from the stifling society full of people who have power and influence through their families, people born into wealth that then got the best education, took over the family fortunes and controlled the politics. The USA was a nation where every man thereotically could be something and there was no aristocracy.

In the up coming election we could see the 3rd person of the Bush family fighting against the 2nd Clinton. This is in the space of 50 years. For a nation that prides itself so much on seperating from the concept of a elite group of nobles controlling the courts, it seems like it is determined to recreate it. Big family names dominate US politics at all levels and now you have the very real possibility of 2 families going head to head for the presidency again.

It seems ridiculous but what do Americans think of the new wealthy elite who it seems are keeping power in ever closer circles and forming a new aristocracy?
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
There are people under the impression that the United States of America isn't controlled by a rich elite.

Wow.
It's not just the US. That's whats happening everywhere. The rich and and powerful are rich and powerful enough to make sure that they stay rich and powerful. In this day of globalization, the big fishes are going wipe all other species in the entire ocean. There are no niches left for the small fishes. They'll keep peddling the great american dream through the media and education system to the middle class and lower class to motivate them to run like hamsters on a wheel in order to keep the system going. Basically they will be exploiting the masses for their sweat and they money in order to maintain their status at the top of the pyramid.
Funny thing though, since aristocracy (or oligarchy to be more precise) has been well established in America since its founding. 
I would not quite use the word "aristocracy", as they do not hold hereditary titles. 
Upper-class yes, but aristocratic ? Not quite. 
They don't hold hereditary titles because their names have become their hereditary titles.
True, I think the proper word here is oligarchy. 
I personally think that the aristocracy/nobility should be brought back, in my country, at least.  
It has always  been like that, it is just not said out loud, but money means power
The worst of it is is that they keep peddling America as the ultimate meritocracy. My parents would never have paid for me to go to private schools and so my future is limited. I went to a garbage public highschool with illiterates criminals and retards. I had the future right from the start.
You must have lived under a rock. :V