Convicted Killer: Family of Victim Should "Get Over It"

www.ksl.com/?sid=36044605&…

While at a parole hearing, a man convicted of killing a teenage girl said that the girl's family should "get over it" before smarting off to the judge. 

Anyone else thinking that this guy should have just gotten the death penalty? He's clearly not in the least bit remorseful about what he's done. 
Comments155
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Trust me, prison is a place you NEVER wanna be. He'll regret not getting the death penalty the first time he drops the soap.
Except there's a thing called "solitary confinement" for more violent criminals.
Is this a chuck & larry reference?
Use medieval techniques on him
He shouldn't have gotten the death penalty, because if we weren't going to kill him for killing someone else than why would we kill him just for being a cunt?

We also shouldn't have the death penalty to begin with. It's killed innocent people before, it's actually more expensive than just keeping people alive, and death only frees the guilty from their suffering. 
I agree with that statement. Because if you kill them, they don't learn anything, now do they?
We put down animals for killing people; why can't we do the same for humans?

The reason the death penalty is expensive is because we're doing it wrong.
We also put down animals because they get old and become a nuisance to deal with. Should we do that to people too? 

The reason that the death penalty is so expensive is because there's such an extensive appeals process. This is designed to weed out the innocent from the guilty and it still doesn't always work. Innocent people still get executed. If you remove that appeals process the number will only grow. How many more innocent people are you comfortable with killing in order to conserve costs? 
That's exactly why I said "we're doing it wrong". This guy obviously did it so there's no reason to send him to higher courts.
If we denied the proper legal procedures on the basis of "he obviously did it" then that would be an awful system. Who decides what constitutes "obviously doing it"? If you were framed for a crime but might have a chance of proving yourself innocent, would you want to have somebody say "oh, well he obviously did it" and rob you of your right to defend yourself? Maybe even just because they were feeling lazy and didn't want to deal with you?

Yes, I know this guy did it, but if you start to make exceptions to the rule of law you open up the door for all kinds of abuses of power. The reason we go through this process for people who are clearly guilty is that it provides a check and balance against human prejudice and corruption. If you get rid of it you'll be facing consequences far worse than simply paying extra taxes to support the appeals process. 
Leaving these here because I'm too lazy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvql36…

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHeXra…

These sum up what I wanted to say.
One issue though is that we use the death penalty as the ultimate punishment. Think about people like the guy who shot up the movie theatre, or if the guy who led the shooting at sandy hook elementary school were still alive and awaiting a sentence. The only sentence big enough would be torture, but torture is, well, it's torture. Certainly, innocent people have been executed. Perhaps if what the criminal did wrong were on a worse scale, they should be executed. Rather than just murder alone, it should be extended to murder without regret or mass murder, and as long as it is guarenteed fact that the person is actually guilty.
"as long as it is guarenteed fact that the person is actually guilty."

We already have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone is guilty. People still fall through the cracks. 
Is it really news that a convicted killer is a jerk?
I almost wonder if it's a suicide attempt and he is trying to achieve the death penalty. We shouldn't give him what he wants. Deport him to Iran and let them use their method of Sensory Deprivation Solitary Confinement. It's like dying, without the death.
What a dick. I believe in using the death penalty very sparingly and exclusively if you're 110% sure someone committed a crime heinous enough, but sometimes the death penalty is too good a punishment for a criminal. I'm not sure which is most appropriate for this guy, so I have no preference. Either life in prison or death. He should never be out, that's all I know.
noo noo send him to norway where he can escape the standard 20 years by applying to the rehabilitation procedure which can just give him a house arrest.
You have a problem with benign western justice?
Not the death penalty...

Torture the fucker slowly...until he gets over it... because ripping off nails, a hot iron up his ass, and cutting him into pieces can not be that bad...so he can get over it...motherfucker piece of worthless shit...
What's your reasoning in torturing another human being?
Do you really need reasoning to torture a fucker that has commited a horrific crime without any reason whatsoever?.

He lost his humanity the moment he comited his crime, enough with the fucking buenismo already
Here. Go ahead, show me your humanity while you destroy someone who 'lost' theirs. 

You're no different than the psychopath whom you so deeply loath.