Republic Vs Democracy How there is no left or right

Comment hidden
Comments6
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Well, first of all Anarchist thinkers and theorists (like Goldman, Chomsky and Bakunin) are to the left of the political spectrum. They certainly aren't on the right. Anyone who has read their works should understand this. In terms of history, the Athenians invented democracy after they chased out the oligarchs that had previously ruled them.

Second of all, all western democracies are in fact republics. We only vote for people who supposedly represent us. We don't have a direct say in how government sets it's policies. This often leads to what Noam Chomsky calls " a democratic deficit"; Public opinion doesn't matter when the policies are made. 

Third of all, it is widely accepted in the academia, that when the founding fathers wrote the constitution, they deliberately made sure that some people were left out; Slaves, women and people that had no property. Chomsky argues that the idea was that the people who owned the country, would also run it.

Still I think the US constitution is a fine document. Nothing is ever perfect. But it doesn't seem that the leaders are all that interested in following it. If the idea was to limit the power of the government, then somewhere, something went wrong.
You didn't watch the video.  So just stop.
I did watch the video. In fact I watched it a year a go. 
So are you actually saying something, or is this just a verbal flatus? 
More of just getting this video out and seeing what people think of it.