If college is so expensive for so many students, why don't they study abroad somewhere cheaper?

Of course things like law, or maybe medicine have to be done where they wish to practice, but what about other degrees, especially less "wanted" ones?

Going in a completely different country, learning their language, culture sounds like an interesting life experience. Above all, it would probably cost half of what they would pay.

Or would employers really give a damn if you've gone to college in <insert capital city from central or eastern Europe here>?
Comments44
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
This is target at Europeans on Deviantart right? who can travel by car between different countries and didn't grow up on a country that takes up about half its continent, from which the costs of flying to other countries is fricken huge, who end up usually only barely learning one of three other languages in school, and have never in their lives had to deal with the legal, customs, and social issues of travel between different countries and laws.

Many American kids do study abroad, but its not cost effective *short term...but mostly people think in the short term when they start college*

and the whole moving away from family and friends thing. A lot of college students tend to drive back home on weekends, or get regular visits from family and friends not in college.
You get what you pay for.

You want to go to bumble fuck country to get an education
take that risk yourself
For the same reason students from overseas come to the US to study, I would guess.
The reason college is cheap for residents of country X is usually because they spend their whole lives paying country X's taxes, which support the education system.

So they're not gonna let you swoop in and get the cheap college without having been a resident and paid those taxes.

Also, college can be hard enough for some people in their native language! It works for some people, but not for everybody. Also being away from your family for months and years on end, etc. Not everyone's cut out for it.
Because it's not free or low rate because we aren't citizens and tuition rates double or more for out of country students. School in the UK for me would cost me Ivy League if you include room and board. I've looked at Canada, England and France. Not to mention we also don't get free passes to other nations *looks at the EU* it's over a hundred dollars for your passport plus paying for a separate visa for each country and travel to get there, and living when you get there and our language tutoring. You can't live in a place if you can't read the signs.
Most countries with subsidized college fees don't offer them to american students, so it's just as expensive, plus the cost of moving out. College over here would be about 3000 euro a year for an irish student (minus grants depending on your wage bracket), but 9000 a year for an american international student.

Mind you, for the places that DO give free university to american students, it wouldn't surprise me if it worked out cheaper.
Well, for one, it's not as though the average college student has a wad of money and simply has to decide where to spend it. Most rely on scholarships, grants, or student loans, which may only be available to them if they attend certain institutions. Plus, tuition for international students is usually higher than for others, and that's not the only expense to consider. Travel, housing, and necessities like food all cost money, and it may be more difficult to find work (not to mention all the red tape of obtaining a work visa and such) in a foreign country.
disregarding the cost, many people simply prefer to stay near their loved ones. I know I do, and to be honest, traveling's not for me. I've rejected all the opportunities I've had, coulda been to Europe, Argentina, Korea, Mexico by now, but it's simply just not my thing.
If college doesn't cost you then finding a place out there will. :laughing:  The US tends to hire scientists and engineers because we are low on them (because they won't fund their own) and they're desperate.  I doubt they'd hire a teacher from overseas cuz so many people are trying to be teachers.
Because they shouldn't have to be forced go to another country and go to all the long winded trouble of gaining visas and other related materials just because it might be cheaper, even though the ideal course for them might well be held at a university they can easily access nearer to home. This is not the fault of the student, it is an issue for governmental bodies to sort out.
Or would employers really give a damn if you've gone to college in <insert capital city from central or eastern Europe here>?

Depends on the industry. Things that require licensing or specific accreditation will not be transferable. However for someone like me, who is in visual design, an education anywhere on the planet is enough for most companies. There are of course some exceptions which are not really equal opportunity and judge applicants based on their background much higher. Whereas many in my industry don't even have formal secondary educations and are hired based on their portfolios and interviews alone. I've been working in the design industry for many years without a college degree myself and just recently attained one. I also had some instructors that learned abroad in places like Argentina and Germany. 

I think the biggest hurdles people have are money and logistics. It's not easy just finding a place to live let alone the college you want to go to (that accepts you), then having to go through the process of getting a student visa, cost of traveling, transportation, getting classes in the language you speak, etc.
my university had a decent foreign population and they were getting fucked... a, nearly no financial aid and b, university costs based on this country rather than their average incomes/cost of living.

needless to say many of the foreign students were from wealthy families
I am sorry but in canada degrees obtained abroad are not valid. Specially in fields like medicine, engineering, biology...

I mean you cannot even be an electrician or a carpenter without the proper license and training :shrug:
That's another good point- in America the degree still counts ish but someone who doesn't know what such and such a different degree is won't hire you. So having it is pretty much meaningless.
Who MAKES these sort of laws?!
Professional unions pressure the government for them, this way jobs stay well paid and protected for the locals :)
Americans. Canada is actually less anal about it.

"What, you're a cardiac surgeon with multiple degrees, several papers, and 12+ years of practice but not american?

Whelp, back to school with you, quack!"
most countries have trade and professional recognition rules that allow immigrants to submit to a board which will assess their experience and training before deciding to issue a licence to practice their trade or profession. In some cases, a short course to ensure local knowledge is all that would be needed.
It's good old-fashioned protectionism. Tradesmen agitate for licensing laws to keep competitors out under the pretense of "saving the public" from an outbreak of uneducated professionals. 
Thats pretty much same here. You need a few licenses and a "diploma" for being  logger//lumberjack/woody term here.
Cable guy needs to have some study base, pharmacists/legal drug seller need masters degree level diploma too i think and so forth.
Yup, the same thing... Some stuff also changes from province to province :nuu:
Well that fucking blows.
It helps to protect Canadians and their Jobs. Without these laws illegals would come and take all jobs :nuu:
THEY TOOK YER JOOOOOOBS