New technological revolution and boost the US economy to superiority?

www.solarroadways.com/intro.sh…
The future. According to some math crap, if all roadways were changed to solar panel roadways, we'd have more than 3× the energy we use in the United States. This creates jobs, makes repairing roads easier, get energy from the sun, and a new one, carry wi-fi. Plus more.
Is this the answer to our energy problems? Will this bring the US out of debt in the long run? Will it make the economy self sufficient?
Comments125
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Pretty awesome, thank you for sharing. I look for articles like this to give me ideas for my world building project.
I see you've got the torch, and that means you had a lot of money to blow away. 

I'll just loudly imply over here.
What? Are you a hipster or something? I just discussed your comment with two other people and they also had no idea what you are talking about. 
Alright, to put it more clearly, I'm suggesting that you have more money than sense. :V
No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. I mean, world building, as in to build a world to write a novel. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldbui… 
It's still a fairly absurd concept. Better worldbuilding would be telescoping lampposts. :V

The race that I am creating the world for will not use telescopic lampposts. Yes, their main source of energy is photon energy, but they use strontium titanate to absorb the photon energy. Have you ever created a fictional universe of any kind for anything? In this context, it does not matter. Only because it is set in real life and is on Earth, is an absurd concept to put to practical use. 

Covered in dirt and rubber, fractured due to a freak front that came though, smashed by a slightly overbearing semi...

Yes, this is true. I plan to borrow ideas from this new technology for my own story and they would use different transport, which would not have this effect on the ‘road’. 

Yep. Imagine them all over cities.
Would be pretty awesome. 
Covered in dirt and rubber, fractured due to a freak front that came though, smashed by a slightly overbearing semi...
Well, that seems really cool but I'm not hugely hopeful because of the cost and sturdiness issues, and just knowing that things are usually more amazing in theory than in practice.
We have to advance technology eventually.
What does it cost? Solar cells are typically pretty expensive. Meanwhile, asphalt is literally dirt-cheap. Can this technology actually compete with asphalt? 
Have you ever seen what happens when you drive on asphalt? :B It messes up the axle, speed, and it's a pain to drive on. It can get rid of asphalt eventually.
I'm sure it would be wonderful to drive on roads paved with industrial diamonds, but it's just not economically feasible. 

Now look, maybe I'm wrong and they've found a way to make cheap, durable solar cells. If that's the case, then I say put it to the free market and see how it competes. Of course, we'd have to privatize the roads before that can be a possibility. 
asphalt is literally dirt-cheap

...and yet my State says they still can't afford to fix our roads. :grump: God dammit.
Because the people laying the asphalt aren't free :meow:
Oh right, I forgot, it's probably a union job. :hmm:
Often yes. Also sometimes government employees with pensions and shit.
It'll only be a problem if taxpayers have to pay for it.
yep, I agree, they need to make sure only electricity users and drivers pay, and not anyone who doesn't use roads or electricity.
A corporation like google would gladly do it for free and allow people to access it if they're allowed to datamine.
if they're allowed to datamine.

Where did you get the idea that this might have been possible? They're not experimenting with making people more easily connected to the internet, just collecting solar output to add to the grid, or maybe drive a few self-contained streetlights.