New idea to abolish copy right laws

i think we should try to get a law passed that would allow anyone to legally use and profit any source material they see fit it would make the story telling industry more competitive and produce better entertainment for all
Comments176
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'll be honest, I think you have very little understanding on how copyright and royalty laws work.

I'd recommend doing some research on the subject before making public degrees on abolishing it.
There's no way that system would be economically feasible in the 21st century. Anyone could make duplicates of a multimedia and try to sell these duplicates. The duplicates themselves wouldn't be profitable because everyone would be undercutting each other to release the cheapest bootleg product.
If copyright was already abolished Michael bay (aka Satan) would never have had success
as a writer I'm highly against this idea, there is fanfic and fanart, sure some people get said stuff published but they have to give credit where credit is due, same with singers doing songs.  artists deserve their copyright status for a reason, if a person feels there should be more competition then never be afraid to try and produce something with said stuff and see where it goes. 
Bullshit. If the profit making "story telling industry" wants to compete more and make better entertainment, then let them hire good people and pay them decent wages and write good material on their own. Passing a bill that allows people to steal and then profit from it is beyond idiotic.
People who propose this idea generally do so because they specifically want to nick someone else's idea[s] and attempt to pass them off as their own with some level of impunity. 
They'd still have to acknowledge that the characters and/or settings was someone else's creation, like those disclaimers you see on fanfics
Would that be legally enforced? Because that's then a form of copyright law. Sounds to me like you simply want people to be able to profit from other people's intellectual property without having to bother with providing the IP owner appropriate monetary compensation. 
That's called COPYRIGHT!!! :iconfacepalmplz:
No one would produce anything good if they weren't allowed to own it, sell it, or benefit from it. 
yeah no

there are a few things that should be open, but art and literature and the such is not one of them. 
I'm opposed to copyright law because it's just another excuse for major corporations to use the force of government to stifle competition...even competition from the little guys.
Your avatar combined with your comment made me laugh so hard at the irony.
How are 'the little guys' supposed to thrive when the corporations can take anything they like from them, slap a better label on it and spend more money on advertising? All 'the little guys' will starve or quit the industry so they don't starve. 
Copyright laws protect the little guy as much if not moreso than the big guy. 
Really? Name one example of how copyright law protects the little guy from the big evil corporation.
Ever hear of the comic Hellboy?
Well, there's your example.
I just did. Literally in my last post. 
I meant a specific example.
Like how specific? A tiled designed skirt was removed from Urban outfitter because it matched a small independent artist who filed infringement? m.huffpost.com/us/entry/540324…

or how about the many times companies have tried to reneg on payment for web design or logo design and filing saved them from using the products anyway. 

Every day there are websites that sell t-shirts or posters that try to use designs from da artists like missmonster. She gets them to stop because she registers her designs. 
See? That wasn't so hard!

Kudos for the artists protecting their work, but it's a shame they go straight to the government instead of just working it out among themselves. I don't really see that being "civilized." Then again, I'm an anarchist (meaning I don't believe in government authority. Google "anarchism, anarcho-capitalism, voluntaryism, etc.")
View all replies
Congratulations, this isn't a new idea.
Being a starving artist might get romanticized, but people are eventually going to want a paycheck for their works.