King of Saudi Arabia has just died

I just hope that the new king is more sensible and strong enough to drive out US troops from his lands as well as reforming Saudi Arabia to be a Muslim superpower instead of a lowly lackey of the west.

I've always hated their extremist society that's stuck in the 1400s.

What do you guys think of the king's death and how will it affect middle east politics?
Comments57
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I love how all the Western leaders, who were all 'Je suis Charlie' a week ago, have now trotted over to an Islamic theocracy with no freedom of speech, to pay homage to its ancient despot. A land where the 'morality police' prevent schoolgirls from escaping from a burning building because they are improperly dressed, and where the crime of ceasing to be a Muslim carries the death penalty. Nice work!

Politicians are hypocrites and Queen Anne is also dead, in other breaking news.
Hope this one will actively try to harm the progressive pandemic the planet is suffering from.
The Saudis arrest and try women who drive in a 'Terrorism Court'. 
he violated human rights so I don't really care
Obama took credit for lower gas prices during the State of the Union speech. Will he take credit when prices soar to over $5 a gallon? New king new pricing! Watch for it!
If you like your gas prices- you can keep them!

Ah that never gets old. :)
Notice that the Saudis lowered the price of oil on the day before the November elections when it was obvious that a tsunami was going to hit the libs! They did this to ruin any oil start-ups in the US. Now the commander in chief has threatened to veto fresh legislation approving the controversial Keystone pipeline. Once that veto comes to fruition the ā-rabs will jack prices up.
Fuel prices out here were lowing gradually for a few weeks leading up to the election, and got as low as $1.83! Now they are back to $2.14....... During the great Keystone XL showdown!
"Come meet the new king! Same as the old king!"

*plays the rest of the theme song to CSI Miami*
ho hum... irrational life goes on.

All I wonder about is why the Wahabis in Saudi Arabia aren't on the top of the radical's hate list (instead of people who draw pictures of bearded men).

Apparently they've just demolished Mohummads birthplace and his first wife Khadijah's house has been turned into a toilet, not to mention temples to the new god "money" built to tower over the ruins of mosques. 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruct…

All I wonder about is why the Wahabis in Saudi Arabia aren't on the top of the radical's hate list

I know very little about the sectarian infighting on the arab penninsula, but if, by radicals, you mean ISIL, then it is possible that it is a waiting game - all in good time. First kill or convert the shia and sufi throughout the penninsula, and then ISIL may eventually intend to correct the apparent depravity that has infiltrated wahhabi rulers and the saudi kingline. They have a big job ahead of them though, as the ultimate goal would include, by extension, the end of hajj

The wahabis seem to believe in not worshiping or venerating 'things' too much, so the destruction of mosques and buildings that have become the target of pilgrimage might not be so weird. The king was buried in an unmarked grave, as previous kings have been. There was even a suggestion that Muhammad’s body be moved to an unmarked grave recently.
I don't want to labour the point , but....the point being that the radicals think that (APPARENTLY) to draw a picture of Mohammad is more offensive than to demolish a mosque or Mohammad's birth house.

The point also being that I 'm not interested what Wahhabis think is acceptable behaviour by Wahhabis, only what radicals think is acceptable behaviour by Wahhabis.

Requiring an explanation from educated Muslims rather than from an Australian.   
Requiring an explanation from educated Muslims rather than from an Australian.

Good luck with that, ISIL is like the puritanical arm holding the wahhabi sword, but that's just my interpretation, fwiw. It might be worth doing some reading about wahhabis to understand why wahhabi don't respect mohammad's birth house ...and ISIL will be respecting it even less.
you couldn't take a hint could you!
Saudi Arabia is a very patriarchal and homophobic society and continues to remain as such. But we choose to complain about Iran and Syria.

King Abdullah only "modernized" the country when it suited him. The fact that the US and Saudi Arabia are allies in the region tells a whole lot.
I hate how western leaders are paying homage to the man. He was a despot and a tyrant. The new guy is no better, fundamentalist lunatics the whole lot of them. The are only kept in line because it is incredibly beneficial to be friends with the west. When the oil runs out and we become fed up with all the terrorism funded by Saudi's, the tone will very quickly change.
Like it's been said before: "He was a son of a bitch, but he's our son of a bitch."
Yeah, I hope the oil runs out really soon. It would do the world so much good. :lol:
For once.

We agree.
I'll notice when they set up a secular government - ain't gonna happen, but it sure would do some good.
Why? The Saudis are kindof friends with the US.

I don't know anything about his brother. I don't know if he'll be any better or worse. I'm not sure how long he'll last though. He's 79. 
I don't think it will do anything for them.
Abdullah had been seen as a reformer. His predecessor, Fahd was not proactive in human rights, but Abdullah had implemented a fair amount of reforms. He also incrementally curtailed the powers of Haia (religious police), and made them more transparent and accountable.

Salman is looked to be seen as a continuation of Abdullah's reforms, but he himself is pushing 80. The super-conservative Nayef was originally going to follow him, but he died a while back, so we dodged something of a bullet there.
The new king is the same as the old one. Not much is going to change.

I know one of the new king's billion or so sons, and he's actually kind of a cool guy. Once things trickle down to the newer generations things might actually move in the right direction but don't expect it any time soon.