Australian commandos end Sydney cafe siege

www.bbc.com/news/world-austral…
I've been following this since it came on the news. Fortunately it's over now and as far as I know no one was killed, although some hostages were injured and it could have easily been worse. The perpetrator, an Iranian, was granted political asylum in 1996, a known trouble-maker and self-styled 'cleric'. I'm sure the Australian reaction must rightly be something along the lines of "we gave you a new lease on life and this is the thanks we get?" (On a side-note, my father was a naturalised Australian citizen and I'm pretty familiar with the Sydney area, so I can perceive incidents like this one as all the more loathsome and vile).
So should this 'cleric' stand trial in Australia, be deported to Iran, or something else? I look forward to your thoughts on this.
edit: It appears that the gunman and possibly another person may be dead, although it's not confirmed...
Comments336
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ban refugees and immigrants.
Just some end of the year R&R, holy jetlag batman!
Oh, you traveled?
3 countries in 2 weeks.
He bit the hand that fed him. 
So, no one thought the man was crazy after he killed his wife by burning her alive? No one thought that it might equate to Islamic extremism?

I honestly think the hostages were killed in friendly fire the same way that the plane was grounded on 9/11....  
The hostages were killed by the gunman after another escaped. he was loosing control and probably stressed the fuck out. 
Australia needs firearms-control legislation and restrictive firearms laws.
Australia does have strict laws, you know. 
I made this mistake after getting annoyed at a Fox News report on our gun laws.

I must remember to never post when I'm annoyed :p
How then did this happen? Their laws are designed to prevent such things!
These things happen, mate. 
he's trying to be funny.
Tell me you figured that out on your own!
Sir, I think the whole world needs this. ;)
Have you taken a look at our firearm control legislation and restrictive firearm laws? They are harsher then most countries, America in particular. The gun he had wasn't a legal one to own in the city. Most Australians don't own guns anyway.
It's a joke. He's saying they don't work.

People really don't get humor over here. Maybe because of all the genuine idiots.
Another fan of the subtlety of understated humour.
See if I can get myself banned with political incorrectness.

Among the first journalists on the scene where the Chaser Crew.
Apparently they where trying to serve a gun law infringement notice on the terrorist for not holding the appropriate gun licence.
Australian gun laws are quite strict, but you can get temporary permits, for example, to shoot injured cattle.
The terrorist had gone into the Sydney City Council the day before the siege, and applied for a temporary 1 day licence for a siege, but when told there was no such thing, took the cattle licence instead.
I hope they throw the book at this guy. Not to mention castigating from Allah for telling a lie.   

God writes comedy, unfortunately very few of His creation know how to play comedy!
Or that the joke just wasn't really that funny?

Oh well.