Animal Agriculture and The Environment

Just watched a pretty interesting film titled Cowspiracy. 

you can watch the trailer on youtube here m.youtube.com/watch?v=nV04zyfL…

the film makes a pretty compelling case that large-scale factory farming is the most destructive industry on the planet and that it is being completely ignored even by environmental organizations and activists, for perhaps dubious underhanded reasons.

animal agriculture is the leading cause of deforestation, water pollution/consumption, is responsible for more greenhouse gasses than the transportation industry, is a primary driver of rainforest destruction, habitat loss, species extinction, topsoil erosion, ocean "dead zones" , etc...

whenever people talk about climate change and the environment everyone wants to talk about the energy industries and the transportation industrys, but nobody wants to talk about animal agriculture which really is the most destructive industry of all.

so what do we do about this? should we all go vegan? should we stop factory farming? how do we address the problem of animal agriculture and fight against the inertia & power of this enormous industry? isn't the food industry totally creepy and sketchy? should we even save the environment? does anybody even care?
Comments28
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Look, Hippe BS

animal agriculture is not the leading cause of deforestation. Clear cutting for hard woods, urban sprawl, soy for vegans, palm oil plantations and mining are the leading causes

animal agriculture is not the leading cause of green house gases, cars and factories are

Run off from factories, illegal dumping and fertilizer from every day agriculture is the leading cause of dead zones and pollution

climate change is natural. Its being accelerated by mass scale pollution coming from cars and factories , not cow farts

Going vegan will solve none of it. Its an unhealthy lifestyle and spreading propaganda and vegan lies won't covnice any but the stupid. Plant agriculture dumps millions of tons of toxic chemicals into the water and millions of animals are poisoned, shot and trapped just to protect the plants and millions more are killed by combines and tillers so being vegan won't save anything

Rain forest is clear cut not for animals but for HUMANS. Its clear cut for more soy for vegans, palm oil plantations and for hard wood
agriculture is the leading cause of deforestation. beef alone is 60% of that. thats just beef.

animal agriculture is responsible for 20% of greenhouse emissions, thats more than the entire transportation industry.

97% of scientists agree climate change is real and man made. if you want to disagree with the scientific community go ahead, but that's not hippy bs, it's science.

yeah i don't think going vegan is the solution either. there's plenty of other ways to address the problem.

80% of amazon rainforest destruction from cattle-ranching planetsave.com/2009/01/29/80-p… also soy is for feeding livestock, not vegans lol
Global warming  is not man made. Its been happening for millions of years. Ice Ages didn't just magically pop into existence . It happened due to climate change and its, again, not man made but humans are accelerating it. 

Rainforest is not cut don for cattle. Its cut down for timber, palm oil, soy for vegans and strip mining. 
greenhouse emissions caused by humans are causing the atmosphere to change and trap more heat. if you disagree with that you are disagreeing with science. if you dont believe in science, fine, i cant help you with that.

if you don't understand how animal agriculture effects deforestation of the rainforest you are just ignorant and/or misinformed.
permaculture (geof lawton)& aquaponics (murray halaman) would solve many problems.
lmao you are actually right the trailer doesn't actually give much information, i didn't totally realize that when i posted it.

this is the facts part of their website, a lot of good information here, better videos too 

www.cowspiracy.com/facts/
it is being completely ignored even by environmental organizations and activists, for perhaps dubious underhanded reasons

...no. What?
That has got to be one of these most vauge trailers I have ever seen.

Millions of acres of rain forest gone! (scene transition)
We are in the middle of the biggest mass extension! (scene transition)
The single largest cause of global warming! (scene transition)

The only think I took away from was cowsperiacy. 
you disagree with that? a big part of the film is investigating the policies of environmental orginizations like greenpeace, sierra club, surfrider foundation, rainforest action networks, etc... it seems that the largest environmental groups are not using their resources and influence to target this issue, despite the fact that it could be the absolute most impactful environmental issue in the world right now
Do you also expect your history teacher to teach calculus? wtf
i dont really understand your analogy. these are environmental groups, this is an environmental issue. 
History and calculus are both school subjects. Why wouldn't one person teach both?
hypothetically one person could teach both... if they were qualified and capable of teaching both.

an environmental group addressing an environmental issue would be a history teacher teaching history tho. right?

basically if you have a point, i don't think the analogy your using is really demonstrating your point well. im not understanding what youre trying to say. 
Organizations pick causes, they don't just spread their metaphorical legs for everything that comes along.
View all replies