Does racism exist against African Americans in the 21st century United States of America?

If it does exist, how extensive is it? Are we all guilty, or just a few wretched individuals? Is the whole system guilty? Or just the justice system? How do we solve it? With an olive branch? Or with the fiery fervour of revolution? Thoughts? Feelings? Anyone? 
Comments654
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
No, there is not racism.

Yes, we are all guilty. 

We solve it by disrupting public areas, shouting and holding signs up.

And then we read high literature: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDF_Vw…
is it racism if we all hate eachother equally ?
No, that is misanthropy.
no more so than exists against any other class.
I've never seen racism in my life.

I know it exists though, because of stories I hear.

But, I have met SOME racist people and seen their interactions with blacks.  

They don't treat them any differently.
Thats not how I work!
The justice system is so corrupt that it's practically useless. The war on drugs is inherently racist in that it targets ethnic minorities in poor cities/neighborhoods and imprisons them for increasingly petty marijuana/crack related crimes. Also, a black or latinx person is more likely to be incarcerated than a white person for drug crimes, whereas the white person is more likely to be sent to rehab.
+ there's the shooting and killing of ethnic minorities and trans people in the United States, where some blame the victim because "ooh, he might have stolen some cigars, maybe!" It's sickening. To say that racism isn't existant in america is complacency and denialism at its core.
Comment hidden
dude I'm being the devils advocate in this thread, I'm more anti-racist than you are. Calm down.
Comment hidden
Comment hidden
is this even a question you need to ask? wow.
The answer is universally obvious?
Racism against blacks does exist in the 21st century. To what extant? It's so ingrained in our social culture that even black people show an unconscious racial bias against black people.
Watch Hood Live Vol. 1-3
Through the use of what's called an implicit association test. These are designed specifically to prevent the data to be consciously skewed.

For example, if I were to simply ask you if you associate negative ideas, such as violence or anger, with black people, you would naturally report that you don't. Of course, even if you did make those associations, you would know that that's not socially desirable, so you would still report that you don't.

Implicit association tests, however, don't give you any chance to consider what the socially desirable answer might be, instead relying on your reflexes to determine how easily you make various associations. There's little room left for cheating.

These tests show that about half of African-Americans show more positive associations with white people than they do with black people.
Yes, bit blacks really are more violent, on average. Would you have people ignore statistical realities?
Yeah, except, that's not actually true. Violence from white people is just more easily ignored. That severely skews the statistics.
View all replies