feminists and republicans have agreed on one thing

and that thing is that lena dunham is a child molestor and probably an abusive pervert. while this sort of celebrity rumor usually averts my gaze the other way, i was curious about this one in particular for a single reason: why are (mostly black female) feminists and (mostly white male) conservatives saying the exact same, sort of repulsive and needlessly sexualizing, things about behavior that has been deemed normal by multiple child psychologists? why is this the thing that put them on the same page, even if they supposedly have very different opinions on the expression and development of human sexuality? it has truly confounded me, so, thoughts?

also: i'm sorry, but unless you are also a child behavioral expert, i am disintetested in your interpretation of lena dunham's behavior toward her sister. while i'm not a fan of her, i think it's incredibly ignorant to psychologically assess someone else if you are not trained to do so, especially if you are going to snip passages from their context and pretend that the problematic content being passed around the internet (such as where dunham, certainly in poor taste but without malicious intent, jokingly compares herself to a child predator to make a point about how badly she wanted her sister's love and admiration) indicates something it doesn't.

finally, i kinda find it hilarious how no one has pointed at the two real problems within the book: first, that dunham often uses her sister as a prop in her writing even though grace has discussed not being too keen on sharing her personal life, and second, that dunham outted grace without her permission. if you care to complain about that, go right on ahead.
Comments41
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
(My iPad keeps making DA freeze and glitch out so that's why I sent a half-finished comment) Also, if someone touches someone else either when they didn't want it, or they tricked them into it, then that is also wrong.... That said, if the two (or more) parties both wanted it at the time, then in my opinion that isn't as bad - on that topic anyway... Im not saying it's right or wrong, but I'm saying that if both parties consented to it willingly, and it wasn't taken badly the next day, then both are either in the right or at fault, depending on the rest of the situation...

As for outing people - that is something you should NEVER EVER do without permission. Not only is it rude, it can also be dangerous.

Personally idk a thing about this, so I'm not making assumptions on the conversation at all - I'm just stating my opinions in various topics brought up in general...

(Also - as I said, my iPad made everything glitch out and freeze, so I wrote that all on Notes to copy and paste)
Personally I know nothing but what I've just read here and in the comments but I do know one thing - if someone writes private stuff about someone else, ESPECIALLY if they didn't want it out, then that is wrong...
Incidentally I agree with you, there is in my opinion no child molestation going on.

that said, I believe you're saying that if an educated professional says it, then the only way you can say something valid is by agreeing with them, or matching their education, in their field?

The problem I see with this is that first, people fucking get things wrong xD I mean it HAPPENS. Doctors give bad prescriptions aall the time. World renowed Martial artists train for years and hone their skills in competition but then break their fists in a street fight.

It doesn't mean these guys don't have answers, and it doesn't mean theyre worthless. It means that people make mistakes, and sometimes a lot of people make the same mistake.

This can be because a lot of people are taught the same erroneous ideas, or because there isn't enough evidence of reason to think anything else.

Yet sometimes the average joe has the randomly achieved common sense, or self taught expertise on the matter, to see the truth that others miss.
i realize it might have come across that way but what i meant was i don't want this to turn into a debate about whether or not shes a child molestor/nearly everyone whos calling her one is misusing terms like "childhood sexual exploration" and such like mofo.

obviously, im not a child psychologist, but i just dont like when people misuse terms to make a point.
How do you see them misusing those terms?
look through the comments here and you'll see a prime example.
I see nothing of the sort
I know nothing about this except for what I just read for about 2 minutes after reading your post. I'd have to see where experts said it's normal behavior, but that's not the part that concerns me most about the story given that in the context of what I read it was actions of Lena Dunham as a child that people are talking about. What concerns me is that the type of person who would write about that and subject her now 23 year old (if I read correctly) sister to that kind of exposure... I just don't understand that. I'm sure that if I wrote an intentionally (assumption, but one I'm comfortable making) controversial book about my own life that there would be incidents that I could write about where I exhibited behaviors I wouldn't expect everyone to understand, but I would never write something that exposed a family member in that way. That's just... I don't even know what that is.
exaaaaactly. people are jumping all over this "child molestor" thing for their own political reasons and ignoring the actually fucked up hings shes doing now. especially cuz her sister has expressed discomfirt with her oversharing.
1) you misused the term 'avert'

2) feminism cares nothing for equality, and asserting that conservatives ever consider such, is ignorant itself to what "conservative" even means. They are alike in that respect, the circular-irreverence

3) I respect you more than I take it, you repect yourself :/
1. avert - to turn one's eyes or thoughts away. so no, that is a correct use of the word.

2. i never said any of that, so you can fuck right off with that comment. (also, i've read your opinions on women and feminism--youre sexist buddy, hate to break it to you).

3. and you can also fuck right off with that comment :)
I take it you don't respect yourself. I take it that you entitle yourself, but that's not my battle, so I'll fuck right off with that comment
You didn't say any of that. You failed to connect the dots, so to speak, to make a point by way of what I had to say for you. Neither conservativism or feminism are rooted in reality, that's all I'm saying, junior.
Also, it was the context of the use of the word avert
I'm not sexist at all. You're just smrter than anybody else, in your atheism. That's all.
Nothing confounding about it. Molesting a child is fucking wrong, everyone can agree on that and that fact it was her sister makes it 100x worse. People may squabble about little shit, but the truly bad stuff never changes.

What's truly confounding is that there's a few wackos who are actually defending this pervert.
what's truly confounding is that no one defers to expert opinions anymore.
Yes, I really need an expert to tell me molesting your little sister is a bad thing.
no, but experts have said what she did to her sister wasn't molestation.
How old was she when it happened?
Okay.  Still doesn't explain why she outed her sister almost two decades later in such a public and asinine way.  The say is it crass, creepy and possibly libelous evidently means nothing to Miss Thing.
View all replies
Yeah, you just keep telling yourself that.
Who the hell is Lena Dunham?