Michelle Obama. Fried Chicken. Wow.

www.snopes.com/politics/obama/…

Michelle Obama, as part of a live interview, said that people could reward themselves for voting Democrat by eating fried chicken.

I.

Just.

Wow. 

Did she not think about how she was going to sound? 
Comments20
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It doesn't surprise me... :facepalm:
There's a reason she's constantly compared to Marie Antoinette.
I'm surprised she'd even suggest fried chicken since she's such a food nazi when it comes to unhealthy foods.
So white golfers say it, it is racist. Michelle O says it, it isn't.

www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/5/2…
Correction, she answered a question about eating after voting with an answer about eating after voting. If you wish to make the claim that choosing fried chicken is somehow racist well that's you doing it isn't it? Personally I don't see how fried chicken is "soul food" though but I wouldn't be suprised if that is the answer the interviewer wanted.
"Personally I don't see how fried chicken is "soul food" though"

"Soul food is a variety of cuisine popular in African-American culture. It is closely related to the cuisine of the Southern United States. The term may have originated in the mid-1960s, when soul was a common word used to describe African-American culture (for example, soul music)."

That's how. =B
In which case there is absolutely nothing controversial here, the interviewer asked her if they should eat soul food after voting and she said yes.
Thing is, there's an active stereotype concerning African-Americans and fried chicken. As such, for her to go straight from "soul food" to "fried chicken" is quite a verbal gaffe, as it can easily be taken as "proof" that the stereotype is "true". 
Considering the fact she laughed afterwards, I think she said it knowing it was the stereotype and it wasn't supposed to be take seriously (I mean we are talking about eating food after voting? How could it ever be serious?) If the interviewer had simply said what Democrats should eat and she jumped to fried chicken that would have been stranger but he specifically said soul food, which is for African Americans, and she played along with the stereotypical African American food. If anyone at all is guilty of racism, it's the interviewer for the question.
It's only a "verbal gaffe" to those who completely ignore the context in the conversation. Ie: People who are willingly idiotic.
No no, rancher, you're supposed to ignore context to make people look bad! Get it right!
It's a good idea, anger PETA. Meme (Popcorn) [V1] 
Why is eating fried chicken racist? :omg:
Because it's rooted in slave culture.

Fried chicken in the current tradition originated in west Africa, where the majority of the slave trade occurred. Africans brought the tradition with them and fried chicken was a rare treat. (Scottish cuisine also included fried chicken, but when slaves were brought into the household, they added spices which Scots recipes lacked, and the African method became the standard, an intersection point between white and slave cuisine and became "the" Southern food.)

But really it's just a cultural thing. It's the same as associating pasta with Italians or tacos with Mexicans or sushi with Nipponese.
Thanks for explaining :)
Once upon a time, it was common for blue-collar African-American men to have fried chicken for lunch due to how economical it is. Likewise, it was also common for large get-togethers to have fried chicken as a main course.

From there, however, a series of negative stereotypes emerged concerning African-Americans and fried chicken.

A similar stereotype exists concerning African-Americans and watermelon, and in fact there was a heck of a to-do a bit back when the early version of a political comic about the White House security breaches included a reference to watermelon-flavored toothpaste; the cartoonist was thinking about an actual flavor of kids' toothpaste he saw, and didn't realize the associated stereotype. 
oh ok, thanks for explaining :)
It's almost as if the question mentioned soul food, and fried chicken is considered a soul food.

It's almost like she answered the question! Weird!
Yeah that's helping the crusade against obesity. :roll: