Terror attack at Seattle high school

A gunman reportedly opened fire at Marysville-Pilchuck High School in Seattle on Friday, before killing himself with his own gun. In addition to the as yet unidentified gunman, seven other people were reportedly shot around 10:45 am local time.

CNN reports that the shooting began in the cafeteria, and that “at least one person has been airlifted.”

This is the 87th school shooting since the December 2012 shooting at Newtown Conneticut. (LINK)

Does it make a difference if the shooter is not a convert to Islam?
Can these high school shootings be considered terror attacks?

(edit for spelling and adding link)
Comments94
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
As far as the whole 'terrorism' thing goes, I've noticed that (as far as the corporate media reports it- which is highly suspect) cops have only stated something is 'terror related' or 'terrorism' if the perpetrator had "converted to Islam" www.nbcnews.com/storyline/cana… or "was inspired by ISIS beheading videos" www.cnn.com/2014/10/24/us/new-… :

"This was a terrorist act," Bratton said Friday. NYPD officer injured by ax-wielding man. Was attacker an Islamic extremist? Thompson converted to Islam two years ago and then at some point self-radicalized"...
I've noticed the term "radicalized" as in "he became 'radicalized'" as in WTF does that mean? The media parrots the police spokesmen or creates its own terms and then repeats them. So in those terms, an attack on a first grade classroom in Connecticut that leaves twenty little children massacred by gunshots is not considered terrorism however an axe-wielding idiot who injures two cops is an act of terror, because Islam is somehow related. Any number of school shootings, which are fast becoming a common occurrence in the US, do not get called terrorism since they are [not yet] related to "radicalized" islam. In other words, 'terror' is something we're being taught to associate only with Islam. My own views on Islam notwithstanding- since it's obvious there is a clear link to converting to that religion and then carrying out an act of violence- but it becomes something far more sinister when school massacres or even the murders of police in the rural northeast by some 'lone wolf survivalist' are spoken of as normal crimes because the Quran is not involved. Why does everyone go along with this?

Because there's usually nothing religious or political in the high school shootings.
An interesting observation and I tend to agree.
when will America ban guns..
never. It is not in their psyche. I just wish they would spend more time and money to address issues that are most important (like the mental health of their youth), instead of issues that make weapons manufacturers shareholders richer (like whipping up the frenzy of fear of terrorists).
I just wish they would spend more time and money to address issues that are most important (like the mental health of their youth), instead of issues that make weapons manufacturers shareholders richer (like whipping up the frenzy of fear of terrorists).

To eliminate a problem, you gotta strike it in the heart. I don't agree with mental background checks at all, nor competency checks, but I do agree that the mental health of our youth is rancid and needs a lot of work. Thank you.
If you want to be technical any form of crime could be called terrorism, besides terrorism itself has nothing to do with Islam, that's just a common misconception (which is kind of sad).
87 shooting incidents at schools, and the reason they continue to happen is because of hacks like this idiot below me. The public continues to let itself be deluded by these gun fanatics who try to split hairs while the corposes pile up all around them. He incredibly states that half the shootings were suicides without other victims- which is the most callous and sickening thing anyone could even say as it happily avoids the number of dead. A lone suicide is just that- while just a handful of mass shootings racks up more victims than the total number of shootings that occurred. Sometimes I wonder if the people with blood on their hands have a fetish for bathing themselves in it.
Like with many shootings, there wasn't anything any poorly paid public institutions could possibly spot in time to prevent this latest massacre. A normal teenager having a inability to control their emotions is just that- absolutely normal. Give them access to a gun and they can do things like this- which- if time could be turned back he would probably not have done with a second chance. My teenage years were miserable to, but my parents didn't worship guns and didn't have any in the house. If they had, all it would have taken was five minutes of a lapse of reasoning in my head (which I probably experienced a number of times) and I wouldn't be here.
Comment Flagged as Spam
Well said. It is always a laugh to see photos like that, then hear the left ramble on about guns being responsible for the increase in school shootings -- as though they have some mind of their own. Of course they do not want to acknowledge a cultural failure as the culprit, because they happen to control the culture -- especially within the classroom.

Basic human psychology shows us that spoiling children is unhealthy. Those children who are most maladjusted and temperamental are those children who have never been told no. Having never experienced the harshness of real disappointment early on, they are unable to cope when they meet it later in life. In something of an irony, the "self-esteem movement" has given us more suicides, more school shootings, and more medicated students. In the same way the "war on poverty" increased it, and std's exploded after the introduction of sex ed. It's like these people have a fetish for creating bigger problems under the pretense of a solution.

Sadly, the answer from the ignorant cultural power brokers will be to coddle children more in response to this behavior, not less. These people are simply incapable of dealing with paradox. True love sometimes means tough love. To a "progressive", the only real love is soft, patronizing, unrealistic love which leaves one unprepared for cold reality.   
Comment Flagged as Spam
I'm afraid if we taught children real world skills and the value of liberty, we would have little time left to teach them about gender and race as a social construct, self esteem, queer theory, collectivism, white guilt, revisionist history, and how to put condoms on cucumbers. We may be producing a nation full of nincompoops (who have a strange tendency towards mass murder), but at least they're nincompoops who know that the proper way to address a man in a wig is "ma'am". Thank god for little leftist victories.
Stuff like this is the real reason school shootings happen.

Yes. I agree with all of that. My issue is how the problem is seemingly ignored and/or dismissed, and definitely not addressed, compared to other problems like Ebola plagues and terrorist attacks on home turf.
What else is new? $5 say they'll push this on the mentally ill side than the easy access to guns side.
I won't take any odds on that ...even if it's the first, it's also the second.
They need a term for emotionally/ psychologically distraught kids that were popping legally prescribed meds and just lost their shi--- and decided to shoot everyone up...

It's not a terrorist attack...
It's not a terrorist attack...

No, I agree ...it's not. It's worse than terror attacks because it happens more often and targets more vulnerable people (school kids).
Terror attack has to be POLITICALLY motivated, this incident is just some mentally unstable man committing mass murder.
just some mentally unstable man committing mass murder.

And that somehow warrants less hysteria than recent terror-related incidents when it has happened, on average, every 8 days in the last 2 years?
Mass shootings in schools and elsewhere is part of the US culture which cannot be prevented unless gun laws change, but we all know that's just not possible.

It's such a normal occurrence that nobody cares anymore and it's part of normal daily life.
It's such a normal occurrence that nobody cares anymore and it's part of normal daily life.

That's the scary bit. If there had been terror attacks that caused as many deaths, or diseases arriving that caused as many deaths, the government would pull out all the stops to make sure the deaths were brought under control and spend whatever was needed. Look at the anti-terror budget for the past 13 years. Imagine if as much money could have been spent to make schoolkids safe.
It's not about the money, it's about the gun culture.It's just not possible to make the schoolkids safe due to the culture so it'll just have to be treated as collateral damage, it's a dead horse since there's already millions of pro guns vs anti gun arguments on the internet.
This topic is really about priorities, not pro-gun vs anti-gun. But priorities.

Which is more important...

In 14 months, 28 school gun deaths
In 14 months, 7 terror related deaths
In 14 months, 0 Ebola related deaths

Which is receiving the most funding to address the problem? Which is receiving the most media attention?
View all replies