Was "the mummy" racist/orientalist?

The whole movie was about white-men killing mean, dirty arabs,( and a mean dirty diminutive hungarian). With all of the ancient-egyptian characters( Imhotep,Anck-su-Namun, and pharaoh Seti I) being white-washed and played by white actors. There's only two nice arabs in the whole movie,( with only one being of actual semetic background) with all the good guys being played by brits/americans. Was it racist and orientalist? Was it just orientalist? Or was it neither? If it was racist/orientalist- was it purposeful? Or it was it just some massive coincidence? Thoughts? Feelings? Anyone?    

* I changed the title thread to include orientalism, due to the flame I got for calling it racist, and especially since orientalism is probably more fitting & appropriate. I locked the last thread myself, as I thought the title needed to be edited to include orientalism.  
Comments86
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
:pointr: Moved to the Movies & TV Forum as it is more appropriate here.
This whole country is OBSESSED with race!! I'm so sick of it! It's every liberal's favorite word. That's racist, that's racist, that's racist, that's racist, that's racist!

If you overanalyze everything, anything can be considered racist. This whole thread is so ridiculous...
I find it funny that FlipswitchMANWHORE is throwing a fit here :lol:
Would you still find it funny if I told you he was being facetious?
He's just an idiot :P
and also he insult me i'm like whatever.
Is Race to Witch Mountain racist because it cast the Rock as the old white guy. Is Thor racist because there were black Norse gods?

Just in case there's any confusion, NO, THEY ARE NOT. Movies that cast actors whose race doesn't fit the characters aren't racist. If you actually knew what racism is you'd know that already. Actually I'm pretty sure you already do and you're just incredibly insecure or trying to stir shit where there is none.

I'm sure if every villain were white you'd just complain about whitewashing. Why don't you go into filming so you can make your own movies?
Tho that movie where Ghandi was played by a white actor was racist, that would be like a white actor playing MLK.
In what way is a white actor playing MLK racist? It's terribly inaccurate to the point of being a farce, but I don't really see how it's racist at all.
Because Ghandi and MLK were fighting against white supremacy.
THE MUMMY WAS A RACIST MOVIE. SINCE YOUR SAYING NO YOUR ADMITTING TO BEING A RACIST.

THE MUMMY IS A HIGHLY XENOHPHOBIC LACED WITH HATE FILLED DISPLAYS OF RACISM, I WOULD EXPECT IT TO BE ON AM REPUBLICAN TALK RADIO.

EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO GET A PETITION GOING AND TAKE A BUS TO HOLLYWOOD TO GET THIS MOVIE TAKEN DOWN SEND ME AN E MAIL
Its a film using literary archetypes of the pulp era- the American and European characters are as equally stereotyped as the Arab ones- stuffy naïve British librarian, noble British cad down on his luck, gun toting cowboys, lovable American rogue with rough sense of honour (Han Solo anyone....). From the Arabian side you have the corrupt corpulent jailer, the noble desert warrior with hawkish visage, etc.

Worth noting that ancient Egyptians were not actually Arabian, and that Imhotep was played by an African, in this case a South African. I don't think the use of pulp archetypes indicates a desire to make a film version of Mein Kampf, they are just instantly accessible characters that require minimal explanation so the entertainment can roll on. Same way when Nazis show up on screen people 'get it' and go 'ok, bad guys' for this kind of film, but can still watch another type of film about the heroic actions of another Nazi party member like Oscar Schindler.
"ts a film using literary archetypes of the pulp era"

NO MEANS NO YOU RACIST! STOP DEFENDING THE BIGOTRY OF THE EVIL AMERICAN IMPERIALIST WHITE MALE PATRIARCHY!

YOUR ON THE RONG SIDE OF HISTORY BUDD-EY!
At first I thought you were joking, then I realised you were just on the crazy side of history.

By the way you tripped over your caps lock key. So many buzz words.
No, not really.
Don't think too deeply or too politically correct.