Why do we ignore the basic human rights of palestinians in the name of "fighting terrorism'?

why we ignore palestine... by wraithsith 
I never understood the logic behind this hocus-pocus style attack of "the war on terror", when in reality this "war on terrorism" is meant to serve political goals( such as Iraq), rather than actually stopping real terrorists. Why do we continue doing this? When will we wake up?
Comments200
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Okay, let me preface with this: how many of you have been to war? There seems to be this misconception that it is either a glorious ride into battle where there's black and white good and evil, or that it's only one side doing atrocious things while the other is a helpless victim. It is neither of those things. It is a cruel, drawn out, violent struggle for power and there is almost always valor and evil on both sides: that's just the nature of humans thrust into a situation where they have to try and kill one another.

Israel and Gaza is no different, however, the idea that the war on terror isn't about fighting terrorists is a ridiculous statement, particularly when there's no grounds to back it. Unless you have been to Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Somalia, or taken down the homegrown threats here that the general public doesn't know about, then you cannot say it is not achieving it's mission. The Palestinian populous is unfortunately caught in the crossfire between the IDF and Hamas. BUT Israel gave leaflet, text, and phone warnings to the entirety of Gaza to evacuate. No other country announces their imminent strike like that, it takes away the initiative. They did what they could, but Hamas continued to shoot rockets so Israel was defending itself. As far as human rights violations, Hamas stores their rockets in Mosques, schools, and areas of high civilian traffic specifically to goad Israel into negatively publicity should they strike the targets. That is a clear violation of the rules of war yet they are a terrorist group who do not abide by Geneva or any code. They are in it to win, and can't by force so they do it through marketing themselves as the victim to the global community.

The beauty of the country is the ability to speak out and to question, and not to do so is irresponsible. But understand, if you say something without any backing, it will be challenged and I believe that statement is wholly inaccurate and you have no credibility for this particular subject.
Because the world would need to boycott US and EU products to cripple their economies so they couldn't send aid money to Israel and no American or European wants to hear that.Palestinians will all be dead in 50 years and everyone will forget they ever existed, just like the native americans or Aboriginals of Australia.

To make everyone notice and remember would take the tactics they use to make people care about the holocaust

-lots of money
-teach kids about it at young age
-make up some scary fantasy like name for the genocide
-make hundreds of Palestinian genocide memorials/museums
-own tv stations that will repeat the genocide on tv everyday
-high budget propaganda movies showing Palestinians as peace loving people whose families and children are raped, killed and maimed.
-national education and youtube videos for collective shame of being conquered and creation of a Palestinian race

But it'll never happen.
The biggest terrorist on the planet is the USA. Fuck them.
typical leftist.  Tell us more how you people hate America even though you deny it.
What a biased cartoon :/ I can answer that penguin very easily..
For some reason there's double standarts and high expectations towards Israel. The UN isn't going to investiagte big nations like the US or Russia and nit pick it in warfare, but when Israel has to deal with a terrorist group that digs tunnels and fires hundreds of rockets everyday it's ok to judge and nit pick. Let's not forget the ridiculous fact that the world has been focused only on Israel while thousands are being killed in other countries...but, it's always more fun to focus on Israel.

If Hamas really cared for their civilians they wouldn't fire from their private houses, hospitals, schools and mosques and people wouldn't die. Wait, actually, no one would die if they didn't start the war.
They know what they're doing and they love the attention they get worldwide. When you have a constant threat on your civilians who can't live normally, and your enemy hides behind it's people, it's inevitable. Out of these 2,000 who died, most are terrorists.

Did anyone tell you they kidnapped and killed three teenagers on their way home? Did anyone tell you they began firing to Israel after that, and Israel waited more than a week before responding? Did anyone tell you about all the terror attacks they made for long decades? 
Everybody knows its ok to shoot missiles into Israel...how else can the arabs get the jews to attack them so they can show dead kids on tv?
Rather bad timing for Hamas to belch rocket volleys at Israel: not just the Western world, but much of the Middle East is alarmed by ISIL way more than the ongoing Gaza war. Even Hizbollah is more disciplined in that regard: they are very aware that the fate of Syria affects them far more than what goes between the Israelis and the Palestinians.
Because we dont live there and therefore dont give a toss !
Ikr. It's so sad that people refuse to step out of their lil' bubble and actually start fucking caring about things.
care about my country & my people - anyone else or anything else around the world comes last !
International politics has an effect on national politics, national politics has an effect on international politics. Time to get of your humble village and appreciate the scope of the world around you.
the rest of the world is full of idiots - prefer to close the channel tunnel boot out all the migrants (including the EU, Jews, Muslims, Sheiks, etc) & let everyone else destroy themselves in the name of their ridiculous religions & cultures ! A far away desert land such as Israel or Palestine dosn't affect us, even though the media & politicians try to convince us otherwise !
In many ways-we're worse than they are! You're making everyone else sound like barbarians! How arrogant!
rather be classed as a barbarian than get dragged into a pointless barbaric war in a far away land especially if were not going to profit from it ! Whats the point ?
View all replies
Well, the funny thing is, religion has never respected basic human rights, and depending on your religion, even takes away your free will when you skitter off the mortal coil.

So when you have three religions meeting in the middle, things such as logic, rational reason, and peace are promptly thrown out the window.

Now the problem is, the current world leaders who are the issue is that a good majority of them are not only money motivated, but religiously motivated old farts blinded by tradition and old ways of thought.

So until the last of the bearers of old tradition die off (thankfully, happening at current), we may be stuck in this for a while yet.
You've got a great point going there. It was certainly not the secular governments of the 20th century which turned the world into a proverbial killing field -- oh no, I say, such is the way forward. It is these religious chaps we must worry about. Once we're rid of them,  as Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Kun, Ceaușescu, etc, showed us, the only way is up.

I would say humanity can be depended upon to find just about any excuse to kill, religious or not. I would say history has been a solid proof of that statement. But you, well you've read a few books by Hitchens and Dawkins, so you have a much more broad minded view of history, and a much firmer grasp on human nature. Bravo, sir.
Don't forget Sagan, Hawking, and Nye.

Now here's the thing, I have a two point system about human life. Point A: A corpse can do no useful labor. Point B: Killing is for the most part, a large waste of everyone's time. 

I'm against capital punishment except for the most irredeemable cases and even then, I'd strongly encourage them to do labor in solitary confinement.

Now, cultural cleansing VIA education and mental health, I'm a lot for. Things like bible literalisim and Islamic Bloodlust are likely to be signs of underlying signs such as ineducation or simple instability.

Teach them the logical flaws and contradictions of their sacred texts and ask them how the many violet deaths and abhorrent behavior of their deity can be justified.

Ask them logical paradoxes such as 'If the God of Abraham is the god of Islam, then why....'
I hope by Nye you don't mean Bill Nye The Science Guy; I assumed I had the market cornered on his brilliance and would hate to hear otherwise.

I'm glad you view killing as a "waste of time." It's always a treat to hear such thundering statements of morality. I do believe you'd find a great ally in Shaw, who also found killing to be a rather inefficient task. He offered up the idea of gas chambers, and I think history has vindicated him -- the time constraints were certainly done away with. Do you support that sort of killing, or is it still too arduous?

On the third point, I'm not sure what you mean by cultural cleansing, but we're already seeing a good bit of that in the west. Could you expand upon the point? What cultures ought we to cleanse, and how best to go about it?

Finally, as far as your wonderful theory of asking them logical paradoxes, such as the God of Abraham and the God of Islam being one -- I'm not quite sure what the larger strategy is there. I'm no expert, certainly no Science Guy, but I can tell you that they each dismiss the other, and so comparing the two will reveal very little. 

P.S. I see you've entirely avoided the main thrust, about secular government not being all huggy and all that. I would hate to say you did so on purpose, and so I eagerly await your response. You seem rather obsessed with getting rid of religion. What evidence do you have that this leads to a better world in any way? The past is certainly not on your side. Cheerio.
Reading some of the comments here reminds me of why I cannot lurk into the Politics forum :stare:
as a mod, your help would be welcome...
Unfortunately I cannot really do anything unless someone is violating the forum rules.
they (the rules) are open to wide interpretation by mods. Since there is no hate speech or hate propaganda allowed by the site owners, and you guys make the decisions, pretty much every white supremicist topic here could be questionable.