Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 453

Yet another shooting, this time in California.

:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
[link] A man kills three people and then himself in California. And what caused him to do this? We don't know yet. What do you think the reason behind the shooting is? Do you think this would happen if guns were illegal?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaurontsubaki1985:
AuronTsubaki1985 Featured By Owner Apr 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It's obvious what caused it. Mental Fargin Health of course. *pardon my language*
:iconhopeira9:
hopeira9 Featured By Owner Mar 28, 2013
Something I haven't seen anyone say yet I'd like to point out (although ~Lexi247 said something quite relevant), the estimated number of firearms in the US as of 2007 according to gunpolicy.org ([link]) is 270,000,000. Banning firearms is NOT going to make 270 million guns dissapear overnight. (Just speculation) It would likely take decades to round up all of them, and in the meantime, shootings would still be happening left and right, and probably more so with many people inraged by full gun control.

And with that said, I'm not even mentioning my side cause dA politics is just mostly full of endless flame :P
:iconhong-t:
HonG-t Featured By Owner Mar 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes, guns won't prevent murders.However, if it's banned, people will have hard time killing in tens and hundreds instead of just one. And US needs better mental healthcare.
:iconspino-by-the-sea:
Spino-by-the-Sea Featured By Owner Mar 29, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hundreds? Are we talking about gun control or bomb control?
HonG-t Featured By Owner Apr 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's called hyperbole
Spino-by-the-Sea Featured By Owner Apr 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Then that's one hell of a hyperbole. And last I checked when you use hyperbole to make something sound worse than it is, that's fear mongering.
HonG-t Featured By Owner Apr 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Haha, but who knows? One day, someone could get a machine gun and kill all the people around. I say it's not impossible in the US.
Spino-by-the-Sea Featured By Owner Apr 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Actually, it is. Fully automatic rifles have been effectively banned since I think the 1980s, and the few that are still around have become RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Really, only collectors have them nowadays.
:iconhuberstein:
Huberstein Featured By Owner Mar 26, 2013
I don't even know why these topics are brought up so fervently and with oh so much vigor. Your opinion doesn't matter, I'm afraid. Guns aren't going anywhere, your outrage is wasted.
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Mar 31, 2013
Let me guess: you own a gun?
Huberstein Featured By Owner Mar 31, 2013
I sure do. It's funny that you leave an implication as if it's supposed to be taboo.

Let me guess: you're around 18 years old?
I'm 19.
Let me guess: You live in America?
Yeah, I'm not going to waste my time conversing with a kid.
...says the "adult" who owns a gun.
Many adults own guns. Are you slow or something? I don't expect much from 18-21 year olds, but do yourself a favor and try and stick it out through school. More than likely, though, I'm talking to a drop-out destined to be a minimum wager for the first of his life. How does that make you feel?
You're straying from the topic. So let's talk more about guns, ok?
Why do you own a gun? (hunting, target shooting/sport, self protection, etc.)?
(1 Reply)
:iconttfnjinx:
TTFNJinx Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013  Student Interface Designer
Hmm, you need to watch Nova Science the episode about basically kids or even adults who go on rampages and shoot people. It's very interesting a tad bit disturbing if you have mental problems or just problems.

Basically it explains the columbine shootings and other crazy things. It also answered my questions to why most of this is done by boys, (girls too but mostly men).

In short it is a brain problem. Like one of the columbine kids had some serious depression, he wrote in his diary about how he wanted to die, and how he wanted everyone else to suffer too.

Not all people with problems are going to kill people, I have mental problems. Sure every now and then I think about hurting somebody but I never would do that. Ever.

This one sounds like he had depression or something. He probably just went on a rampage,lost his mind and just took his pain and anger out on the world. For those who have never been blinded by rage, it sucks, it's like turning into a werewolf. Or the Hulk, it's horrible.
:iconkinoc-kun:
Kinoc-Kun Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
This has gotten so out of hand I don't even know if these shootings are real anymore.

You never hear about shootings like the one in Texas a few months ago where the man was stopped by a female officer off duty with HER gun.

Wait? A gun being used for GOOD?! *gasp* We can't have that on the news, it'll prove that not all people who own assault weapons are going to murder us!
I didn't hear about that story. Can you give me a link please?
:iconlexi247:
Lexi247 Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013
Even if guns were illegal, I'm sure the person (because they were obviously okay with risking their life) would probably just get a gun out of the country, bring it in somehow, and commit the crime.
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013
It would be very hard for him to do that if he was poor.
:iconlexi247:
Lexi247 Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013
I suppose, but if otherwise...
:iconburrito-cat:
burrito-cat Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2013
Violent video games.

We could have like, a drinking game with the amount THAT comes up. :<
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2013
Clearly America has poor mental health. It isn't the weapons that are the issue. If there were no guns, he'd most likely use something else and honestly, since when did a murderer care about the law? Murders will happen weather it's illegal or not.
I've heard this discussion on the radio before. Maybe we should stop blaming guns and focus on this nations mental health. Then again, you don't hear about these mass shootings happening in a nation like japan. (Are guns legal in Japan?)
:iconalphamale1980:
alphamale1980 Featured By Owner Mar 7, 2013
The right to bear arms isn't a cause of these or any other mass shootings. A complete lack of mental health resources in the United States is the primary cause. Why doesn't anyone ask why we've almost completely defunded mental health facilities in the united States when some whack job haul's off and shoots a bunch of people?
:iconcommander9:
COMMANDER9 Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013
EXACTLY!
:iconpushyreeder:
pushyreeder Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Professional General Artist
ohhh noooes!
Why post if you don't even care?
:iconpoliticalviolet:
PoliticalViolet Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013   General Artist
Yet another tragedy that occurred due to Americans' so-called "right to bear arms".
:iconartman40:
Artman40 Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013
And mainstream media portrays shootings like so:
"Would you like to end your life? Why won't take others with you with the help of a gun to be badass? Here's a dude who did it!"
Of course it encourages shootings.
The media sucks. I hate how sites like MSN splash this this information in the face of the public, treating it like entertainment.
:iconnooblord9001:
NoobLord9001 Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013
The Right to Bear Arms, YOU HAVE FAILED MEEEEEEEEEE!
:iconjay-hyena:
Jay-Hyena Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Wait don't tell me, they had a mental instability and wasn't really worried about until now? I'd bet that's the story.

America has a higher rate of violence in all weapons categories compared to other countries. Americans are very violent, in general.
:iconfulup:
fulup Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013
If a person wants to kill a man, he will get a weapon, one way or another.
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
Why do guns exists then? OUTLAW GUNS. GUN CONTROL. MAKE IT HAPPEN.
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013   Writer
Outlawing guns will do nothing for a person who wants to commit and act in violence. They'll either think of another way to kill or get the weapon themselves.
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
It would be a lot harder for them to get the weapons themselves. Wouldn't it?
ssensory Featured By Owner Mar 7, 2013   Writer
True, it would be harder.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
That is not an argument. Someone with a gun that is a few feet away is much more dangerous than someone with a bat. You can stop someone with a bat. Hell, you can run from someone with a bat. You can't run from a bullet. You can't fight back against a bullet. You can basically only hope the guy misses. I'm not an advocate of banning guns, I just wish people could put down better arguments to explain why guns shouldn't be banned.
:iconthebuttfish:
TheButtfish Featured By Owner Mar 31, 2013  Hobbyist
''you can stop someone with a bat'' - some guy on the internet who's never been in a fight.
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Mar 31, 2013
Yeah, that doesn't really prove what I said wrong.
Spino-by-the-Sea Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
"Someone with a gun that is a few feet away is much more dangerous than someone with a bat"

Not necessarily. If the guy is within arms reach then it's pretty easy to disarm him, if you know how of course, without getting shot. It's a different story with knives or other melee weapons though, with those you're almost certain to get cut or bruised no matter what you do.

Take a self defense course. It's one of the first things they teach you :shrug:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2013
It's all circumstantial, but a few feet away is generally out of arms reach. Or it is at least implied.
Spino-by-the-Sea Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
True, though if he's only a few feet away then more than likely he's looking to mug or rape you, in which case he will come within arms reach for you to disarm him and shoot him with his own gun (oh the irony, lol).

Of course it's all situational as you said, but there are situations were knives and baseball bats are a bigger threat than a gun.
ssensory Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013   Writer
Well, that's true, too. I just think if someone has the intention to kill they will try to succeed in it any way they can and no matter what. I never really thought too much about being able to stop them, but yeah the only positive I can see to banning guns is that people have more of a chance to stop the killer. But then again they can still get the gun from somewhere else...
ssensory Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013   Writer
*an not and
:iconhastsmak:
hastsmak Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013   General Artist
I dont think its anything to do with guns, I think its more to do with drugs and the chemical inbalance in some peoples brains
:icontwasdandish:
twasdandish Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
and I hope those families are doing well, this is truly tragic.
:icontwasdandish:
twasdandish Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
guns don't kill people.

PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE, FAGGOTS!!

IT'S THE MENTALITY OF THIS COUNTRY! WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING BOUT THE MENTALITY OF THESE FUCKED UP PEOPLE!
Add a Comment: