Tax on Fizzy Drinks

Thought I would make something refreshingly different from the same old 'legalize weed', 'gun laws' and 'obama has done this...'

In the UK doctors have called for a new tax to be imposed on fizzy drinks to raise the price by at least 20% in the hope of tackling obesity, they have also called for a watershed on fast food advertisements.

Where do you stand on these?

Personally I think they should focus more upon fast food stores such as McDonalds.
Comments166
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
There's a tax on cigarettes. I wouldn't smoke as it is but I damn sure won't pay 5-8 bucks for a pack of cigarettes. A tax on soda, which is pretty cheap actually, is not a bad thing. Fewer people can afford to get it as much, which is good.
Like it's helped here. The nation of fat asses doesn't looked like it's helped much. If people want something they still go and find a way to go and get it. And hell, sometimes pop is still cheaper than bottled water.

Focusing on fast food joints may be the way to go though.
I think fast food is a bigger contributor than fizzy drinks.
Indeed. The proportions are just to much.
The poor are living extravagantly, if you see how much of their income ( percentage ) is spent on food in comparison to the rich, they really just cannot afford it.

Making things more expensive is not going to stop people, its just going to make people to spend more money, what people need is education. School was never good at teaching me what to eat, drink, or the repercussions of said food, and I think they should. However, not just children. The adults need to sit down and see what they are doing to their children.

The watershed is actually a good idea though, the less children see it the bettter, imo.
i agree! schools need to do more to combat obesity, they should be setting examples instead of serving fatty foods.

although i dont see how a watershed would help as most children go to bed early anyway. unless the watershed is in the daytime?
The watershed is 9 o clock, so no adverts on food till that point.
Ok i see. Yeah, the less children see of it hopefully the less theyll want it, but then parents need to provide alternatives to fatty foods etc too.
The parents DEFINITELY need education, the generation of children that are younger than us ( if we were to have kids I guess? ) are the first generation that may not out live their parents, due to obesity. That is bad.
very bad.
excellent point!
Education is a good way to help reduce it, problem with youngsters though is they will listen and understand all of it, yet they will go on and do it because they don't see immediate effects.
Well its not that, but usually the way they're brought up. It is seen as a treat, but people shouldn't be praised with food.
I think nowadays children are spoilt a lot more than they maybe would have been, a lot of them get pretty much anything they want, and a few pence won't stop parents buying their children what they like.
Well I wasn't spoilt, but my treat was food, shitty processed food, but that was all we could afford.
Some parents don't, but I have a lot of friends who can more or less snap their fingers when they want something new.
You stole fizzy lifting drinks!
Also, Ban McDonalds and other major fast food restaurants from selling shit food so cheaply and get the FSA to do a major survey on whats in these foods, After the horse meat scandal this NEEDS to be done. Fuck knows whats in there that the FSA and don't even test for :no:

They certainly need to be taxed.
I think regular testing should be done when companies sell and buy meat. My Uncle is on a dairy farm and they test their milk constantly because if it is bad it can be rejected.
I think its quite a good idea :nod: I hate fizzy drinks, Water is the way to go! Bring down the price of water and up the price of the sugar filled shit, A 500 ml bottle of water is €1.50 here while a bottle of coke is €1.20! WTF is that shit?

And I think there should be a ban on fast food advertising COMPLETELY. Even on site advertising such as logos and big brightly lit signs that attract fat people like a moth to a flame.

People need to get healthier and I don't just mean the fat people! I would give a guess and say half the population don't get enough of the essential nutrients they need to feel good naturally and instead they go and get antidepressants from their doc, :no: Just look at those poor Americans :(
Unless you go on long road trips I don't understand why you would pay so much for a bottle water.
I heard somewhere that everyday 7% of america eats at McDonalds, and if it is true, it doesn't surprise. I think the parents are to blame mostly, mine always make sure I get my veg and cook half decent meals but I have a friend who used to get about 5 takeaway pizzas a week. Parents are starting to get more lazy and spoil their children more.
Its just really the 500ml bottles. I can get a gallon of decent water for €1.99 so it doesn't make sense :shrug: And now we here in Ireland are going to have to pay for what water we use from a tab in 2014, so we are screwed either way :( 1 minute showers. :iconnooooplz:

And yeah, The Americans take the piss with fast food. If 7 percent eat at McD's I wonder how many eat at all the other chains combined. all of them? But, I can't talk, I used to take the piss with them also when I couldn't afford a weeks worth of home cooked meals and good food.
What gets me is when McDonalds say they offer healthy salads and such...but who the fuck goes to Maccies to buy a salad!?
Plus the salads are worse in some ways than their other crap.
If they make their burgers out of shit, what do they make their salads from?