Ron Paul calling in the UN waaaaaahmbulance

"Earlier today, Ron Paul filed an international UDRP complaint against RonPaul.com and RonPaul.org with WIPO, a global governing body that is an agency of the United Nations. The complaint calls on the agency to expropriate the two domain names from his supporters without compensation and hand them over to Ron Paul.

Last month, after Ron Paul expressed regret on the Alex Jones show over not owning RonPaul.com (in an interview titled “Ron Paul: The Internet Is Our Last Chance to Awaken America“), dozens of supporters urged us to contact Ron Paul to work out a deal.

We sent Ron Paul the following respectful offer, explaining that we’d prefer to keep RonPaul.com due to reasons explained in our letter. At the same time we offered him RonPaul.org as a free gift so we could keep using RonPaul.com and he wouldn’t have to use something like RonPaulsHomePage.com.

Incredibly, Ron Paul’s lawyers are trying to use our FREE offer of RonPaul.org against us in an attempt to demonstrate “bad faith” on our part! Our offer went on to explain that in case Ron Paul insisted on obtaining RonPaul.com, we would prepare a complete liberty package consisting of RonPaul.com and our 170k mailing list.

The value we put on the deal was $250k; we are getting our mailing list appraised right now but we are confident it is easily worth more than $250k all by itself. Claims that we tried to sell Ron Paul “his name” for $250k or even $800k are completely untrue, and there is little doubt that our mailing list would have enabled Ron Paul to raise several million dollars for the liberty movement this year. It would have been a win/win/win situation for everyone involved.

Instead of responding to our offer, making a counter offer, or even accepting our FREE gift of RonPaul.org, Ron Paul went to the United Nations and is trying to use its legal process related to domain name disputes to actively deport us from our domain names without compensation."

And now for the really funny part:

"Back in 2007 we put our lives on hold for you, Ron, and we invested close to 10,000 hours of tears, sweat and hard work into this site at great personal sacrifice. We helped raise millions of dollars for you, we spread your message of liberty as far and wide as we possibly could, and we went out of our way to defend you against the unjustified attacks by your opponents. Now that your campaigns are over and you no longer need us, you want to take it all away – and send us off to a UN tribunal?"

[link]

Basically, Ron Paul is opposed to the UN (and any kind of governmental body larger than a bread box because it "infringes on our sovereignty") until the day comes when he needs them to do something for him. You know, something like throwing a portion of his fan base under the bus.

Seems legit.
Comments308
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
He rannnn for president so many times that I think he confused himself.
ehh i think he just would never be allowed to be president because he's the only one who is honest and tells the truth.
All that president crap is iffy and i don't believe a second of it. All i know is that ron paul is the only genuine honest guy i've seen up on the stage in my life time.
That's hilarious. Although why does RonPaul.com want to keep the .com so much? I guess it says a lot about me, but if I ran someone's fanclub and they said they wished they had that name, I'd give it to them. Not that his actions are in any way justified over a web domain.
The free market principles which he makes lip service to demand that he buy the domain as intellectual property, not to mention the sizable mailing list. The fact that he'd rather have the UN confiscate it should tell us a lot about his true philosophy as opposed to the one his followers have ate up.
Please wait one moment while I go laugh my ass off in the corner.
That is permitted.
How about this: I'll register defaultking.com, start posting some of these items [link] there, ask for donations on the site, and then offer to sell you the domain for $250,000.

Does that seem legit?
Then you would be guilty of copyright infringement and could possibly have to pay thousands of dollars per infringement. Plus whatever profits you made.
The main difference being that I already have Creative Commons licenses for everything I've posted here, but Ron Paul has never once taken out any sort of copyright on his name or appearance. Whereas my claim would be a no-brainer victory for me, Dr Paul's has fewer legs than that Gadsden Flag snake you guys like to wave around.
BUT I COULD PUT MY HEART AND SOUL AND TENS OF THOUSANDS OF HOURS INTO COPYING YOUR ART AND MAKING A PROFIT OFF OF IT AND THAT SHOULD MEAN SOMETHING AND YOURE JUST CALLING THE WAAAAAAHMBULANCE BY TRYING TO ENFORCE YOUR COPYRIGHTS.
Too bad I have a copyright and Ron Paul doesn't.
Yet he has a trademark.
I'd ask you to show me the trademark, but you couldn't show it to the other five or so people who've asked for it so I guess I'll have to pass on that one.
Show me the registration for your copyright. What? You don't have any paperwork for it? Then it must not exist.
View all replies
Sweet delicious irony.  I don't know what's funnier, the running to the UN with a UDRP, or that he's going after those who supported him.
They're both pretty funny when taken individually, but the combined irony just kinda compounds on itself like a fractal made of lulz.
What I want to know is how much of our tax dollars are funding his lawyers to go cry to the europeans. Because I don't support one dime paying for this man and his fascist ideology. People like him have no place in our government.
It's apparent that the American electorate agrees with you, given how many times Ron Paul has lost.
I must admit I'm suprised. I've never been much of a fan of Ron Paul's policies but I did respect the fact he seemed consistent in his views and wouldn't pander to the majority. This shows he's no different to any other politician though. Will happily promote action that disadvantages people as long as he's not disadvantaged by it, then suddenly it's fine to use.
It kinda reminds me of Ayn Rand calling Social Security degrading but collecting it regardless...
Forgot to mention she collected it under a false name...
Do you file your taxes as Taco Steev?

(Hint: Ayn Rand was a pseudonym. She collected her benefits under her real name.)