Closed to new replies
February 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 837

I don't consider America a first world country

:iconbellemylene:
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
I don't consider America a first world country.

I think this because in order for a country to be a first world country, it needs equality and a fair justice system, as well as a way to escape and rise above the poverty system.

I don't think America has any of these.

a.) Gay people are hugely treated as cancer in America, especially in the Bible Belt, the south, where gays get it worse off them most other places in world. Gays are not even allowed the common dignity and right to marry, or adopt children. I understand this is changing in SOME states, but the process is moving very slow. I don't understand how these people can watch young boys (teenagers) be hanged on news and think it is good, when those boys could have been their son. Don't they consider how the parents feel? I find myself wondering a lot just the type of person it takes to think homophobia is good thing. Humans are not treated equally in America, so therefore this eliminates equality.

b.) America's justice system is not fair. It is EXTREMELY easy to a corrupt judge get into the court and make the decisions, and get away with it. America also uses the death penalty, where in nearly all of Europe and in Canada it is not. How do the ends justify the means? Its wrong to kill, so you teach that by killing? Its like telling your child not to hit and then hitting them. It just doesn't work. What about in special cases, like an abused wife, for example? And feels like kill is only escape. Also no free health care. Nearly all of Europe and Canada has health care, and is realized as basic right. This gives people the help that they need, when they need it. It eliminates corrupt doctors and finical aid. Poor people can get help they need, when they need it. No waiting for transplants, and no spending hundred of dollars for something as simple as anti-depressants or a puffer. This traps poor people into the poverty system. Poor person can not work, because they are ill, but do not have money to be well again. They trapped. Also, what about all the elderly and special needs people? What happens to them? This eliminates fair justice system and way to escape poverty system.

c.) Another thing I did not mention above. A first world country needs safety for people. America is not safe. People have right to bare hidden arms. You may say its your entitlement, but remember that the constitution for gun wielding has not been updated since it was made. This is back in time when people had to spend ten minutes filling their gun up with gun powder. Now man can buy big military gun that shoots 50 bullets in a matter of seconds easily to kill children with at your schools. We Europeans do not have this problem, nor do Canadians. Why do you think that is? America is not safe place to be, and I do not want to go there. Not safe.

This is why I think America is not a first world country. Thank you for listening. That is my opinion and all I have to say for now. I am interesting in what you say.

Keep it civil. No flaming or trolling. No hate. We must get along well, no fight. Thank you.

Sorry, my English not great.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Apr 27, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I don't consider America a first world country.

I think this because in order for a country to be a first world country, it needs equality and a fair justice system, as well as a way to escape and rise above the poverty system.

Well when you make up your own definitions for things, you are welcome to arbitrarily decide that anything is or is not one of those things. I, for example, don't consider bananas to be a fruit, since in order for a thing to be a fruit I believe it must be generally spherical. Therefore bananas are not fruit.

Also: [link]

If you're going to start getting as picky as you want to be about how exclusive the "First World Country" sorority is, you're going to have to break those distinctions down into way, way more than three groups, 'cause I'm afraid we're still pretty damn attractive compared to most of the campus even with that zit on our nose.
:iconharperyo:
harperyo Featured By Owner Apr 14, 2013  Hobbyist
I agree. I'm sick of Americans trying to prove that they are the center of the universe.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Apr 27, 2013
That has nothing to do with being a first world country.
:iconwiffleball:
WiffleBall Featured By Owner Apr 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Why does this thread have over 800 posts? OP is trolling and not even doing that good of a job. WHY ARE YOU ALL STILL HERE.
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2013
Lol :)
:iconqwertywithak:
qwertywithak Featured By Owner Apr 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
But, first world, second world, third world, all of that deals with the economy. We have a first world economy.
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2013
Ew, who would eat smelly, rotten mutated American food? Only Americans. Nobody in the East with a brain would dare touch your disgusting genetically modified food. The only advantage that Americans have is that they put 90% of their economy and wealth into their military.
:iconbinarystep:
binarystep Featured By Owner Apr 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, cause I'd like to eat that good old rotting, bug-infested nat-u-ral food!
:iconlilmalygos:
LilMalygos Featured By Owner Apr 11, 2013  Student
>I don't consider America a first world country.

Of course, lol.

But, Colorado is a nice place. I want to go there.
:iconjohnniemorgan:
JohnnieMorgan Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013   Traditional Artist
...but at least we're not the Middle East.
:iconsad-rosesstock:
sad-rosesstock Featured By Owner Apr 12, 2013
Not that it's a good thing, but here the crises are religious-zealot-driven, and not just a loony who woke up one day to shoot up a school.... :\
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Apr 27, 2013
No, it's just a loony who thought his God wants him to blow up a school. And here we don't have people who look at these things and go "yeah! He is a hero!"
:iconagburanar:
Agburanar Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2013
It's politically stable, productive, and high-quality services are available, but it's essentially a banana republic run by and for the ultra-rich overclass. It's not a bad place to live if you're willing to keep your head down and be a good corporate serf.
:iconohanlon:
ohanlon Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013  Professional Writer
well youre wrong
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2013
*Well

*you're

*wrong.
ohanlon Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2013  Professional Writer
lol playin the old spellin and grammar card?? yeh thats so original that i soiled my pants
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2013
Get some brain cells and then come back to me.
ohanlon Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2013  Professional Writer
ignoring what i said yet still replying looks like the classic case of stupid. well done
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Apr 9, 2013
One who does not know where the CAPS lock key is tells me that I'm stupid. LOL
ohanlon Featured By Owner Apr 10, 2013  Professional Writer
lol wtf are you talkin about
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Apr 11, 2013
Oh, the irony. :clap:
(1 Reply)
:iconleonasworkshop:
LeonasWorkshop Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
and you replying to the first reply on the grammar thing makes you stupider, I would have ignored it.
:iconimperius-rex:
Imperius-Rex Featured By Owner Mar 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The terminology comes from the Cold War period and was used to describe the political alignment of a nation. The United States, United Kingdom, and their allies were considered "First World" countries. The Soviet Union, China, and their allies were considered "Second World" countries. Neutral and unaligned nations were considered "Third World" countries.
Thank you for copying and pasting that lovely piece of the Wikipedia for me to read. You have lovely copy&paste skills.
:iconlexi247:
Lexi247 Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
So...France huh. Ever actually COME here?? Know what it's like?

So what it's taking awhile for the gays to get their rights? It will get there- even with slow progress.

Elderly get retirement. Special needs I believe gets government support- not positive though.

As for justice system- I'll take this over getting shot in the head for protesting :nod:
:iconlimehouseblues:
LimehouseBlues Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Do you know the definition of a first world country? It's based on wealth and socio-political factors, like democratic elections and where most of the country is industrialized.

Maybe the word you are looking for is hypocritical? Of course it is. I was reading up on the bill of rights (replenishing my constitution knowledge) and there is a lot of bullshit that can plague anyone in the LGBT. Especially the ones that state "only can discriminate if you happen to xyz," usually state laws. Of course there was the Occupy failure, some friendly assemblies were friendly and they would get sprayed or tased. But most were just a homeless people round up. Some weren't treated fair, and others policemen were doing their job.

And about gun laws, I doubt the south will give their guns up without a fight. They seceded from the Union when they couldn't have slaves. There are so many shootings happening here, I can't believe there aren't any kind of gun restrictions. :p

America has always been hypocritical, since the very beginning. Have you heard of the Dred Scott case? Or anything about the Transcontinental with Durant? They were openly corrupt.

But there are plenty of good things going on right now. We have good infrastructure, okay schools, clean water. That's what makes it a first world country.
:iconlittle-wild-one:
little-wild-one Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
You don't seem to understand the actual definition of a first world country.
:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student General Artist
d) poor education
e) horrible healthcare
f) horrible food standards and treatment of the food that will be consumed
g) bad workers rights, no retirement

RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
I hope you don't think this is representative of the U.S in comparison to the rest of the world.
:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Student General Artist
No, it is representative of the US's comparison to the rest of the 'first' world.
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Not really.
:iconairthir:
Airthir Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student Photographer
According to your profile, you're from France. Being in France and not the USA, what makes you think you're entitled to write this kind of statement? You really aren't. Not trying to be really offensive here, but honestly. America isn't perfect, but you need to know your facts and understand those facts before you come up with this. That said, I'll put in my two cents.

a) This is hugely controversial in this country. It's changing everywhere. Not many states have legally worked in it to the system yet, no, but the public opinion of tolerance is shifting drastically. Slowly? Sure, but we had democracy when you still had a king. Marriage is legal in some states. As is adoption (the process may be more difficult, but it is not illegal. Recently, in a nearby state, a gay couple was voted "adoptive parents of the year" by the agency.) And gay boys do not get hanged on our news. Homosexuals are protected by our laws just the same as any other citizen. Are they prejudiced against? Yes, but not in our workplaces or legal systems. Are they lynched? No.

b) EXTREMELY easy to corrupt a judge, huh? It's not, actually. The unfairness of the justice system lies more in our setup with the lawyers. Not the judges. But we did come up with fair trials when France was still beheading people.

Only some states use the death penalty. Not all. It's controversial. The death penalty is reserved for capital cases-- not special cases. If an abused woman kills her husband, she'll go to prison, but she won't be executed. Executions are usually reserved for people who have committed very violent, cold-blooded, cruel murders. I do not personally support the death penalty, but it is not used willy-nilly like you insinuate.

Our health care system was just overhauled. It's not perfect, but it's not quite as messed up as it was.

c) I'm fairly sure France is not free of violent crime. The right to bear arms issue is another extremely controversial one. Our gun laws have been changed, and are also being overhauled (the Amendments are not the only laws we have. We rarely amend the Constitution, but we put new laws into place all the time). In Norway there was just a shooting spree, though-- psychopathic people with guns is not a problem unique to America.

What America does have that European countries don't is a fundamentalist Christian right wing. This began with democracy-- with our freedom of religion. That freedom gave people the right to worship whatever god they want in whatever way they want, but it also gave them the right to take their religion as far and extremely as it goes. There are many, many moderate, liberal Americans who want tight gun regulations, equal rights for gays, and better healthcare. There are also a lot of Tea Party Republicans in power right now.

Also, the labels of first world, second world, third world et cetera-- while also no longer politically correct in America-- refer to economic standing, not social justice standings.
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
tl;dr
Airthir Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student Photographer
Nice. Not much point in reading the replies to your posts, is there?
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
Not when they're stupid.
Airthir Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student Photographer
Pfft. Since my post was too long to read, of course you'd be a good judge of that. I am not impressed with French chicks at all! You do know that a lot of people find posters who post something and then turn aggressive / uncreative with responses like this kind of amusing?
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
Right, because you should judge an entire group of millions of people based on one person that you've met. Smart. That right there just proves your genius.
Airthir Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student Photographer
That is because that was sarcasm, actually. Because you are judging an entire country based off of what you think you know about our policies and laws-- and you're getting them a little wrong.
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
So it's a second-world country.
:iconsheepy94:
Sheepy94 Featured By Owner Mar 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That would be too lenient.
:iconxxxsliversignxxx:
xXxsliversignxXx Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Student General Artist
Right is America is a third world country . . . :nod:
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013
You said that not me. :)
:iconxxxsliversignxxx:
xXxsliversignxXx Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Student General Artist
NO YOU DID BITCH ASS CUNT
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
Nope. :)
:iconjerseycajun:
jerseycajun Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I hope to share with you that it reflects poorly on you to create an arbitrary definition for something considered to be as negative as "Third World" as the basis to publicly belittle a whole country you don't live in and have never been to, and then defend that as your 'opinion', as if that absolves you of the gross assumptions made about what life is like here.

That's usually the behavior of what Europeans would call the "Ugly American". Only it's not an American displaying it at the moment.

I'm actually with you on being against the death penalty, for much the same reason. It might shock you to hear that not every state employs it. About 1/3 of the 50 states have abolished it

While I disagree with your position on health care, I am open to discussion on other alternatives regarding solving these complex issues. Personally I also don't think the state should be concerned with marriage in the first place, leaving it rather up to individual Churches to decide who they would or would not permit to marry, and let the state come up with some other name for the legal rights associated between persons.

My family has hosted foreign exchange students, most of whom came from Europe, and each of them were in their own way kind of shocked to see how different life here was from the what the stereotype they imagined it was. On a trip to Texas, they thought that when we crossed into it, it would be deserts, cacti and cowboys right away (it's in western Texas you find these things).
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
Jesus fucking christ, I am tired of this shit! NO WHERE IN MY FUCKING OPINION DID I STATE THAT AMERICA IS A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY!

How could you disagree with universal health care? You have to be either fucking stupid or fucking evil, because the people who disagree are usually dumshits who don't know shit about fuck all, or the people who think that sick people should pay for themselves.

Seriously, why in the world would you disagree with such an easy and universally excepted notion, other then "Its my money and I do what I want with it!" Oh, I'm sorry, is an extra 500 dollars of taxes to pay for some cancer ridden little girl too much to ask for? Dawwww...

Jesus fuck, this why I'm happy to live under the European union. Not only that, but France, which has one of the greatest health care systems in the world.
:iconearthtalon:
Earthtalon Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Europe ain't perfect either. Plenty of things need some rounding out. Such as being jailed for denying the Holocaust.
Right, because Europe is one big country. Typical westerner.
:iconearthtalon:
Earthtalon Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
:iconpassing37:
passing37 Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
And soon to be bankrupt health care systems of Europe. I know this because I live there.
Add a Comment: