Does corporal punishment have a place in schools?

I recently read an old article in a Times magazine.
It detailed how a fifteen year old girl had let her friend copy her homework and as a result, she got paddled by her principal - who is a man. Her mother was angry over this: not for the beating, which she approved of, but of the way the punishment was carried out.

This raises the question: Does corporal punishment have a place in our schools? It's still allowed in 19 states (at the time of printing).

Does it really help anyone learn? And what of the trouble taken just so the punishment can be carried out?

Further along in the article, I read that parents need to sign a consent form, stating that they allow corporal punishment to be carried out on their children. Furthermore, parents can choose the gender of the teacher who carries out the paddling. Also, ANOTHER teacher of the same gender as the student will be present. That makes 2 adults and a lot of paperwork.

To go to such trouble just to "teach a lesson" - it suggests that it's time corporal punishment be taken out of the system.

Studies have shown that a physical reprimand does not actually work to teach someone that what they've done is wrong. It further "damages" them, and these people grow up to be more violent. Of course, you can also argue that those who had required a beating in the first place probably were aggressive and violent to begin with.
Neither does a telling-off work to improve behaviour either.

Just some thoughts.
Comments221
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
THIS IS APPARENTLY WHAT A SCHOOL WITH CORPORAL PUNISHMENT IS LIKE:

[link]
You can't smack your kid at home or DSS will try to throw your ass in jail, but some schmuck in school is going to take a paddle to them? I don't think so!
tl;dr
To reply to the title, yes.
Also, TITS OR GTFO!
1/10

Come on, you can do it!

I believe in you!
I'm a train now!
Yup.
10/10 mutherfucker.
View all replies
I thought we were over this type of barbarism already. If any school official tried to paddle my kid I'd given them a taste of their own medicine to show them why they're wrong to do that.
They get special legal protections. It's more of a crime to attack a teacher or school official than a plain civilian.

Possibly because they deserve it much more frequently.
" it suggests that it's time corporal punishment be taken out of the system."
I was unaware it was still allowed.

none the less.
I say: Yes! Yes, corporal punishment does have a place in schools.

There's this group of people in every school who make it harder for everybody else to learn, who constantly disrupt learning exercises and take away from the generally-agreed upon purpose of public education. They believe themselves above the rules, and need object lessons as to what the purpose of school is, and how best to achieve their goals. Corporal punishment is necessary, because they believe themselves immune to the school authorities who are merely attempting to direct them in beneficial ways. They despise tests, and fight bitterly every test designed to ensure they're qualified to be in the classrooms they're in.

They are, of course, the teachers and administrators.
Do you actually know any teachers or school administrators personally? It's nice and easy to just blame the people trying to deal with the shitbrains kids these days, it sounds so cool and edgy to. Do you feel your teachers were this terrible that they should be spanked? Which ones- give me an example.
I know my school administrator and all of the teachers personally. in my school, with less than two dozen students, there is a group of students who constantly disrupt learning and are, essentially, making plays for power among the students by controlling when we have an environment where we can actually learn. as much as we need it, there isn't corporal punishment. if there was, the situation would be much different.
Haha, sums up my thoughts perfectly. :)
No. It used to in British schools at least a hundred years back but otherwise no.
What about physical discipline in parenting? Yes or no? How much if yes? Is the increase in unruly behaviour in youths nowadays partly a symptom of physical discipline no longer being used in parenting?
I know that in my country, it was only a few years ago that they passed the Anti-Smacking Bill that stops parents from disciplining their children by spanking them. According to the polls, only a slight majority were in favour of it. Maybe this is because there are other methods of punishment now that weren't available before. Parents now find it easier to just take away their kids phones, iPods etc. Humans learn quicker from what we can physically experience - which is why spanking works. Do something wrong and you get ouchie.
But with removal of electronic devices - so what? Most teenagers think they "can't live" without texting their friend every 5 seconds, but such punishments don't really teach anything.
unruly behavior today, as it never existed years ago,

surely sir, you jest?
I'm trying to figure out the situation where anything stronger than a stern remonstration is necessary to punish an adolescent responsible for merely allowing another student to cheat.
If the parents are ok with it.
I'm pretty sure parents are not okay with their children being physically abused by teachers.