Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 223

Does corporal punishment have a place in schools?

:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I recently read an old article in a Times magazine.
It detailed how a fifteen year old girl had let her friend copy her homework and as a result, she got paddled by her principal - who is a man. Her mother was angry over this: not for the beating, which she approved of, but of the way the punishment was carried out.

This raises the question: Does corporal punishment have a place in our schools? It's still allowed in 19 states (at the time of printing).

Does it really help anyone learn? And what of the trouble taken just so the punishment can be carried out?

Further along in the article, I read that parents need to sign a consent form, stating that they allow corporal punishment to be carried out on their children. Furthermore, parents can choose the gender of the teacher who carries out the paddling. Also, ANOTHER teacher of the same gender as the student will be present. That makes 2 adults and a lot of paperwork.

To go to such trouble just to "teach a lesson" - it suggests that it's time corporal punishment be taken out of the system.

Studies have shown that a physical reprimand does not actually work to teach someone that what they've done is wrong. It further "damages" them, and these people grow up to be more violent. Of course, you can also argue that those who had required a beating in the first place probably were aggressive and violent to begin with.
Neither does a telling-off work to improve behaviour either.

Just some thoughts.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkoreansupermen:
koreansupermen Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
THIS IS APPARENTLY WHAT A SCHOOL WITH CORPORAL PUNISHMENT IS LIKE:

[link]
:icondefinedeviancydown:
DefineDeviancyDown Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You can't smack your kid at home or DSS will try to throw your ass in jail, but some schmuck in school is going to take a paddle to them? I don't think so!
:iconkimsy2358:
kimsy2358 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
tl;dr
To reply to the title, yes.
Also, TITS OR GTFO!
:iconthegman0:
theGman0 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist
1/10

Come on, you can do it!

I believe in you!
:iconkimsy2358:
kimsy2358 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013