Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 223

Does corporal punishment have a place in schools?

:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I recently read an old article in a Times magazine.
It detailed how a fifteen year old girl had let her friend copy her homework and as a result, she got paddled by her principal - who is a man. Her mother was angry over this: not for the beating, which she approved of, but of the way the punishment was carried out.

This raises the question: Does corporal punishment have a place in our schools? It's still allowed in 19 states (at the time of printing).

Does it really help anyone learn? And what of the trouble taken just so the punishment can be carried out?

Further along in the article, I read that parents need to sign a consent form, stating that they allow corporal punishment to be carried out on their children. Furthermore, parents can choose the gender of the teacher who carries out the paddling. Also, ANOTHER teacher of the same gender as the student will be present. That makes 2 adults and a lot of paperwork.

To go to such trouble just to "teach a lesson" - it suggests that it's time corporal punishment be taken out of the system.

Studies have shown that a physical reprimand does not actually work to teach someone that what they've done is wrong. It further "damages" them, and these people grow up to be more violent. Of course, you can also argue that those who had required a beating in the first place probably were aggressive and violent to begin with.
Neither does a telling-off work to improve behaviour either.

Just some thoughts.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkoreansupermen:
koreansupermen Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
THIS IS APPARENTLY WHAT A SCHOOL WITH CORPORAL PUNISHMENT IS LIKE:

[link]
:icondefinedeviancydown:
DefineDeviancyDown Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You can't smack your kid at home or DSS will try to throw your ass in jail, but some schmuck in school is going to take a paddle to them? I don't think so!
:iconkimsy2358:
kimsy2358 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
tl;dr
To reply to the title, yes.
Also, TITS OR GTFO!
:iconthegman0:
theGman0 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist
1/10

Come on, you can do it!

I believe in you!
I'm a train now!
Good.
Toot-toot!
lol
Yup.
10/10 mutherfucker.
theGman0 Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist
lol more like 1/20
(1 Reply)
:iconchakatblackstar:
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
I thought we were over this type of barbarism already. If any school official tried to paddle my kid I'd given them a taste of their own medicine to show them why they're wrong to do that.
:iconunvalanced:
Unvalanced Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
They get special legal protections. It's more of a crime to attack a teacher or school official than a plain civilian.

Possibly because they deserve it much more frequently.
lol
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
" it suggests that it's time corporal punishment be taken out of the system."
I was unaware it was still allowed.

none the less.
:iconunvalanced:
Unvalanced Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I say: Yes! Yes, corporal punishment does have a place in schools.

There's this group of people in every school who make it harder for everybody else to learn, who constantly disrupt learning exercises and take away from the generally-agreed upon purpose of public education. They believe themselves above the rules, and need object lessons as to what the purpose of school is, and how best to achieve their goals. Corporal punishment is necessary, because they believe themselves immune to the school authorities who are merely attempting to direct them in beneficial ways. They despise tests, and fight bitterly every test designed to ensure they're qualified to be in the classrooms they're in.

They are, of course, the teachers and administrators.
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Do you actually know any teachers or school administrators personally? It's nice and easy to just blame the people trying to deal with the shitbrains kids these days, it sounds so cool and edgy to. Do you feel your teachers were this terrible that they should be spanked? Which ones- give me an example.
:iconagent-00ninja:
Agent-00ninja Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
I know my school administrator and all of the teachers personally. in my school, with less than two dozen students, there is a group of students who constantly disrupt learning and are, essentially, making plays for power among the students by controlling when we have an environment where we can actually learn. as much as we need it, there isn't corporal punishment. if there was, the situation would be much different.
:iconbellemylene:
BelleMylene Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Haha, sums up my thoughts perfectly. :)
theGman0 Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist
LOL
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
No. It used to in British schools at least a hundred years back but otherwise no.
What about physical discipline in parenting? Yes or no? How much if yes? Is the increase in unruly behaviour in youths nowadays partly a symptom of physical discipline no longer being used in parenting?
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I know that in my country, it was only a few years ago that they passed the Anti-Smacking Bill that stops parents from disciplining their children by spanking them. According to the polls, only a slight majority were in favour of it. Maybe this is because there are other methods of punishment now that weren't available before. Parents now find it easier to just take away their kids phones, iPods etc. Humans learn quicker from what we can physically experience - which is why spanking works. Do something wrong and you get ouchie.
But with removal of electronic devices - so what? Most teenagers think they "can't live" without texting their friend every 5 seconds, but such punishments don't really teach anything.
unruly behavior today, as it never existed years ago,

surely sir, you jest?
:iconscythepuppet:
scythepuppet Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm trying to figure out the situation where anything stronger than a stern remonstration is necessary to punish an adolescent responsible for merely allowing another student to cheat.
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
If the parents are ok with it.
:iconsheepy94:
Sheepy94 Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Student General Artist
I'm pretty sure parents are not okay with their children being physically abused by teachers.
Some have no problem with spanking and do not see it as abuse in any way.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Most of those some probably take issue with other people hitting their child.
Could be. I know many who have no issue with discipline by others.
That's strange. Then again, people who impose lazy discipline would probably be supportive of an even lazier way to carry out said lazy discipline.
Strange in your opinion. How many kids did you say you have?
Cop-out. I could say that about any argument ever, it doesn't mean anything.
(1 Reply)
Until they get caught doing it that is.
Caught? I think it is legal to discipline your children in most States if not all of them.
Yeah, discipline them, not hit them.
Many parents find discipline in this manner acceptable.
Even if modern society thinks otherwise.
(1 Reply)
:iconqwertywithak:
qwertywithak Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I don't think that corporal punishment belongs in today's society. I knew a girl who was beaten by her dad until she was 18 and decided to move out. On the day she moved out she broke a lamp over his head causing him to have a seizure. Moral of the story, hitting someone enough will cause them to hit back.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Corporal punishments lack the bite if the authority of the person who hands out punishment is not taken seriously. Teachers today are not held as high regard as over half a century ago. So, in this respect, I would not be so sure about teachers carrying them out in today's setting. How about the potential for lawsuits, if things turn out ugly? Also, the more they are used, the less effective they become. Not to mention, it would be rather difficult to discourage kids from using physical force if they perceive the adults around them prone to such.
corporal punishment never had a place. the instillation of authority by violence is a hallmark of fascism.

it has no place in a institution teaching freedom and democracy. It worked great for the Prussians however, where the point of school was to make children submissive so they stayed that way in adulthood.

making children submissive to authority, makes them submissive adults who in turn wreck democracy with their inability to participate.
Debit Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Unfortunately ...

Rewind for about a century or even further; corporal punishments in general were more accepted across the board. The folks from that past do not have the benefit of the hindsight that we have.

Such is ...... life!
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
yeah, but those where times of kings, monarchys, royality, and nobility.

It was to keep order, and instil subservient behaviour and obedience in a society based on class and hierarchy.

It has no, never had, a place in a democratic society.
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You say that teachers are held in higher esteem in the past. This would imply that students were more submissive. Which leads to the logical conclusion that it's a bad idea to carry out corporal punishment on students today, since they'll be more willing to fight back. And despite the fact that it's the teacher who is holding the cane/paddle/whatever, when it comes to a fight the teacher might not stand a good chance since they'll be too stunned by the change in events.
Debit Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think students were more submissive in the old days. Several reasons: a) Parents held more authoritarian attitude towards outside authorities, not just within their households; b) More kids were growing up in smaller communities which meant bad behaviors directly impacted their and their parents' reputation within their community; c) Teaching in general was more top-down, coupled with stricter set of regulations, such as dress codes.
:icondanceandmakeromance:
DanceAndMakeRomance Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
Corporal Punishment has no place in modern society
Studies have shown that children do not improve academically with the beatings
What we need is better parents and better teachers
But that wont happen
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Well, I believe that sometimes a kid (or adult) just really, REALLY needs to get whacked a couple times.

It comes down to really being willing to punish someone.

When I was a kid, my parents threatened to spank us all the time, and we didn't care...because it was an empty threat. I remember getting spanked one time, once. I think my brothers did, too. One time. And that was pretty much it. That one spanking stuck but only because it was so unusual, we never stopped anything for fear of being spanked (or punished, period, we all had doors to the outside on our rooms so we couldn't even be grounded.).

My kid, though, if you tell her 'do that again and you're going to get popped' she knows that's true, if she does it again she'll be physically punished. So I don't have to do it very often (it's been years since I have, actually, just knowing I will is enough).

But then again it's a very sticky situation, some kids really do need to have it established that yes, they really WILL get punished unless they behave themselves, and maybe getting paddled will help them learn to control themselves and not get thrown in jail when they get older.

On the other hand, that's the LAST thing some kids need. There are those who have issues that go beyond just never learning to control themselves, who need to be worked with instead of just punished.

And only being around the kids while they are at school, that's pretty hard to determine.
It appears you're suggesting that instead of punishing schoolchildren, you should send them off to the counsellor to see what their problem is. That could sort of work. Because if the counsellor can figure out which of the two groups the student belongs to - whether they need discipline or they have a traumatising upbringing - can help to devise a suitable form of punishment.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Yep, I think that would be best.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
Teaching students that violence is an appropriate response to your problems and how one may treat those in their care does not seem to me to be a long-term solution to bad behaviour.
Especially when in classes such as History and English, we're supposed to write about how violence never solved anything.
:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013   Writer
Most sane people do not think that sexually assaulting a child teaches them right from wrong.
Add a Comment: