15,000 Crocidiles Escape Farm

AS MANY AS 15,000 crocodiles are thought to have escaped from a farm in South Africa following heavy rainfall in the region.

Owners of the Rakwena Crocodile Farm in the far north of the country were forced to open floodgates to prevent a storm surge after the Limpopo river’s water level rose, leading to the great escape.

A number of the crocs have since been recaptured, but around 7,000 remain at large throughout the region. One was captured after surfacing on a school rugby pitch 75 miles from the farm in Musina.

Zane Langman, son-in-law of the farm’s owner Johan Boshoff, said: “There used to be only a few crocodiles in the Limpopo river. Now there are a lot."

“We’ve been recapturing them as and when the local farmers phone us to tell us that there are crocodiles on their property.”

The reptiles are supposedly easier to capture at night as their eyes shine red in the dark.

Animal safety experts have warned people to remain indoors and stay away from any crocodiles.

Severe floods have killed 10 people in the surrounding region of Limpopo province, with hundreds more made homeless, whilst the South African air force are helping to rescue those in remote settlements.

The neighbouring country of Mozambique has also been affected by the floods, with thousands evacuated from their homes.

by By PATRICK McPARTLIN

If that happened in your country, how would your national press and politicians react?
Would someone need to be injured or killed for the public to actually care or would they fly off the hook from the start?

I don't even know if you can sue in SA like you can in the US.

Would Obama be banning crocodiles or pushing for more strict crocodile farm rules and regulations?

I love the quote “There used to be only a few crocodiles in the Limpopo river. Now there are a lot." :rofl:

Comments83
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Woah.

We live in a swampy, wooded region, it gets just a hair to cold here for them to hang out (go about 50 miles south for that). And we have lots of farms in this area.

I have no idea how people would react. Probably farmers would just shoot them, whether they were supposed to or not.

I don't think animal control would be able to do anything, they'd have to get people from other states to come in.
Shooting the crocs might make you liable for damages.
Yeah, don't think the good ol boys around here would care all that much...
Or even understand what any of that means:P
It doesn't mean much - crocodiles are native to South Africa. It's the equivalent to releasing 15,000 polar bears into northern Canada.
Or 15,000 weasels into the English countryside.
To be honest, in China it would probably goes something along the lines of poachers broke into a compound and unwittingly let go of the crocs and now they're asking residence to please be civilized and not to stab the shit out of them and sell their hides and meat on the black market and just let wildlife services round them up. Lets put it this way, this is the country where when a bunch of fishers sees a whale shark they think it might be a good idea to bring it in.

In Canada, well right now it's just not possible they'd survive. I know a nearby restaurant that makes 'Bayou' food so maybe they'll take the frozen carcases.
If it was China, 10,000 would have already been served at dinner:P
My favorite quote is this: Animal safety experts have warned people to remain indoors and stay away from any crocodiles. :lol:
It's like the Middle East, when a bomb blows a bridge or building up, what do the locals do?
They run to it and climb on it!
if this happened here, considering it's america.

get the guns we're going croc hunting!

animals escaped a zoo not to long ago as well. a number of big cats at that.
I think, depending on the region, the law suits would pile up as fast as the carcasses.
Denmark is one of the tamest countries in the world.
Our biggest predator is the fox. And no, not some gigantic tusked fox of doom, just a plain old fox.

Once a single elk swam to Denmark from Sweden, and it was big news. An elk is huge! And wild! And not a cow! :lol:
We've recently had two wolves wander up from Germany. The first died, because it got stared at so consistently that it couldn't hunt. The second only just got here.
It's in the papers all the time, even though nothing has happened

If there were crocs out and about,every single newspaper would explode in mega headlines :eager:, and the TV news would ignore most other things, all the while making crazy speculations.
You don't know overreacting, until you've seen Danish news react to wildlife. :lol:
Hahahahahaa!

Awesome.

If two wolves and an Elk can cause a stir, 15,000 crocs should create a panic
I dunno, we don't have much beyond particularly viscious rabbits here in Britain.
Where I live, we have mountain lions and coyotes and mule deer AND foxes. And raccoons and squirrels. I have to put on a safari hat just to go outside and get some firewood.
One of our local high schools had a lock down recently because a black bear wandered onto campus. :lol: I love the Pacific NorthWest.
I'd resurrect Steve Irwin.
I'm not sure he could catch'em all
He's Australian. Have faith.
Nonsense. He's still Australian. He's just Australian dirt. Which, actually is even more Australian than Australians, when you think about it. I mean, Australians just walk around on top of the Australian continent, but Steve goes further. He is Australian continent. Or at least a few shovels full of it.