Closed to new replies
January 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 684

"Entitlement"

:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Writer
"Entitlement" is a buzz word. It's a negative label people slap on things to make it sound bad.

Just because someone feels entitled to something does not mean that entitlement is unwarranted. As human beings, we are entitled to the pursuit of happiness. This pursuit shouldn't be like chasing a carrot on a stick strapped to a treadmill. Happiness should be reasonably within our grasp.

You can't pursue your happiness unless you have the freedom to do it.

I'm talking about universal health care and free education. In modern times, you can't call your country free if you don't have these things.

How can you truly be free if you are a slave to sickness and health care companies?

How can you truly be free if you can't get the education to choose the job you want in life?

(Affordable healthcare and free education are guaranteed as rights in the Finnish constitution, and in the constitutions of other Northern European countries.)

How can you be free if you have to work 2 or 3 jobs just to barely support yourself?

That's not free. Americans have no free time for a reason.

Americans are unhappy because they have to fight just to survive. And most of them think this is somehow a good thing. They feel proud because they're not "entitled"--but they're obviously not happy. That's about as stupid as being proud for digging your own grave.

Meanwhile, most Europeans (especially Northern countries like Iceland, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, The Netherlands, etc.. I don't want to list these countries every time but these are who I am referring to) can actually afford to spend a reasonable amount of their money on their free time, hobbies, and interests. Europeans can afford to take vacations (you're guaranteed 4 weeks of paid vacation here in Finland if you're a full time employee after your first year, even if you just flip burgers).

Most Europeans can afford to pay for their rent, healthcare, and food, without worrying too hard about breaking their budget, and still have enough money left over to spend a reasonable amount on their free time.

These Europeans have free time.

I think it's ridiculous that Americans think it is "entitled" and somehow wrong to actually want to be happy. Generally, working a shitty job for shit pay only to make someone else rich does not make people happy.

What makes people happy is the freedom to choose the life they want to live for themselves. You can't have freedom if you are bogged down with bills for your healthcare and your education. You can't have freedom if you are stuck in a cycle of poverty or too sick to do it and too poor to do anything about it. [link]

It's like they think feeling "entitled" is this great vice, and working hard just to scrape by is the greatest virtue in the world. This virtue is so great, we should all throw away our lives and any chance at happiness we might have, just so as can say we weren't "entitled."

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013   Writer
It's also interesting what people think they're entitled to if they have more money. Better representation in court, better representation in government, better treatment by law officers, and the right to operate a toll-booth economy without fair competition.
witwitch Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student Writer
Oh, yeah. It shouldn't work like that. There's shouldn't be a ruling class.
:iconartman40:
Artman40 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
And a lot of these jobs that people are doing are useless or have unsustainable usefulness.
:iconajglass:
AJGlass Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
I think the problem with the term "entitlement" is that it's used to describe programs such as Social Security which aren't in fact entitlements.
:iconkimsy2358:
kimsy2358 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
TLDNR.
Your point is invalid, because hard work probably offsets whatever you are bitching about.
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
witwitch Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Student Writer
"Capitalism Magazine" wow seems like a really unbiased source! :lol:
sonrouge Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
Translation: It casts logical doubt on my words, so I must ignore it to maintain my fantasy.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
you posted someone elses op-ed as a response instead of summarizing it in your own words as an argument.
sonrouge Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Actually, I've been essentially summarizing that document since I started "debating" with witless.
Add a Comment: