Kindergartner suspended for pink bubble gun.

If pink bubble guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have pink bubble guns

MOUNT CARMEL, Pa. (AP) — A 5-year-old Pennsylvania girl who told another girl she was going to shoot her with a pink toy gun that blows soapy bubbles has been suspended from kindergarten.

Her family has hired an attorney to fight the punishment, which initially was 10 days but was reduced to two.

Attorney Robin Ficker says Mount Carmel Area School District officials labeled the girl a "terrorist threat" for the bubble gun remark, made Jan. 10 as both girls waited for a school bus.

Ficker says the girl didn't even have the bubble gun with her and has never fired a real gun. He says she's "the least terroristic person in Pennsylvania."
__
[link]

Pennsylvania went to Obama in the last election, but PA is primarily Republican. The State legislature is 90% Red and the Governor is Red.
So this is not a case of "librulz inna norfeast".

This is a case of stupid over-reactive people going too far too fast without even thinking for a moment about their actions.

If the school has a non-violence policy that's dandy. But when does the age of the 'offender' get taken into account? When does a bubble gun get taken into account?

Suspending 5 year old girls for bubble gun remarks. Aren't all kindergartners supposed to be armed anyway? Isn't that what the NRA wants?

Comments236
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Another link to the story: [link]
"Mom says daughter was told she could go to jail over threat."

That is fucked up.
We have no idea what the context of this event is. One of the girls could have been a witch from Oz. Soapy water is highly corrosive to the flesh of Ozite witches. A bubble gun could be considered a lethal weapon.
I think you're on to something
Well duh. It's brilliant.
Copyright it before I do!
No need. In order to utilise it effectively you have to be as mad as Bullet-Magnet. Which, luckily, I am.
Let me see now ......

Renovate Guantanamo to include detention facilities for imagined-to-be minor terrorists? Should a 5-year-old be subject to sleep deprivation? Water-boarding??

America: The Land of Lack of Common Sense. America: The Land of Knee-Jerk Reaction.
I can guarantee that there are people in the United States who think water boarding kids is fine.
I bet these same morons will freak out like there is no tomorrow if someone water-boards their dogs and cats. :)
Wouldn't surprise me
What. The hell. A 5-year-old threatening to pretend-kill another kid. Suspended for terror threats. Question: how free are Americans really, if a 5-year-old is labeled a terrorist and punished for dumb kid talk?
I'm not sure we're all that free:P
As much as I suspect the story was probably something along the lines of what ~scythepuppet suggested, it still seems absolutely crazy to suspend a 5 year old and label her a terrorist threat! A more sensible/sane/not-completely-bloody-ridiculous course of action would maybe have been to talk to the child (or perhaps all the children) and explain why it's not appropriate to joke about shooting people. 
Ugh, things like this are what fuel the gun nuts beliefs that the government wants to take away everyone's guns.

I can't really put myself on either side, but it's not much different than Alex Jones going on Piers Morgan and doing his best to look like a raving lunatic. It makes people on the other side scared and allows them to minimize their opposition as a bunch of crazies.
Gun nuts need no examples to fuel their paranoid suspicions
"Pennsylvania went to Obama in the last election, but PA is primarily Republican. The State legislature is 90% Red and the Governor is Red.
So this is not a case of "librulz inna norfeast". "
Did you ask the school officials who they voted for? They could be hardcore liberal. I just don't get the point of mentioning that. Also this is BS and that school should be ashamed
"Did you ask the school officials who they voted for? They could be hardcore liberal. "

Doubtful. I've lived in the PA boonies, ain't no librulz there.
Lol, yes, millions of adults go on a gun-buying spree and people flip out over a kid with a colourful plastic bubble-blower :facepalm:

This isn't entirely a new phenomena though. Even in Australia - well, my school at least, I remember some teachers discouraged us from activities involving any kind of imagined gun violence. On rainy days the outdoor areas were off limits and students would spend their lunch breaks in class and just do whatever they wanted to pass the time (well, not "whatever they want" but I mean there was stuff to play with, draw, read, etc) and most classes had these plastic connector-cubes that kids would frequently make some crude and colourful guns out of and pretend to shoot each other. That was a no-no :no: And this was a small Australian public school in the 90's :p
Those kids would be rounded up and hit with tear gas and then beaten with batons in the US now:P
The reason elementary schools are getting so abnormally draconian is because of the pain from the Sandy Hook shooting. That's what I think is pushing school districts into taking such crazy measures. I found suspending the girl uncalled for, but as President Obama said, we can't tolerate this anymore.
Yeah, but if there's any issue at all, it's with the toy manufacturer, not the 5 year-old kid. A pink - bubble blowing - gun. Think about that for a moment. And she was suspended for TALKING about it :/