Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 70

The most reasonable explanation I've seen in all the blaming of video games and guns...

:iconstaple-salad:
staple-salad Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
...and it was written for and posted on a comedy website.

[link]

For those of you who don't have the time to read it (and I recommend you do), the main idea is that it's not video games, it's not movies, it's not lyrics, it's not guns that is causing the violence, it is our warrior culture.
We idealize troops as the ultimate person to respect (before doctors, scientists, etc). We have superheros like Batman and not Sherlock. People who combat violence with righteous violence. We daydream about taking violent action against people before thinking about helping people.

Then he proposes solutions along the lines of enforcing age ratings, pointing out when children are playing violent and age inappropreate games, etc.

What are your thoughts? Obviously I agree with the author though I don't think it's possible to make such a huge cultural shift without a lot of time standing between now and then. But, even though I support banning assault rifles and military-grade weapons for civilian use, bans can only go so far when our culture at its core supports such violence.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcake-fiend:
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Not all violence has the same cause. I don't think that his warrior culture hypothesis accounts for people like the Connecticut school shooter.
:iconunvalanced:
Unvalanced Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Have you -seen- the Sherlock Holmes movies?

But no. While we have relatively high homicide rates, we actually have relatively low violent crime rates. If the issue were about "daydream[ing] about taking violent action", we should expect higher numbers in all types of violent crimes, which isn't the case.
:icondefense2:
defense2 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Well, lets see why we idolize the worrier.

1) From coast to coast, we as a nation are a dog eat dog nation. We do not help each other, but rather see each other as a threat to our continued job security. Which for the modern day person, job security is life, it is how we obtain the food we eat and the stuff which gets us the mates by which we continue our linage.

1b) Our schools are battle fields for our children, not places of learning.

1c) Those who manage to gain the resources or are awarded the resources for college, must hope and prey that they made the correct choices and cannot escape the economic debt should they have not made the correct choice... But see rich men be forgiven for destroying entire corporations without losing a single penny, or worst are paid by the government so that they continue to make more business based upon the failed models.

2) The natural environments of the US fight us daily. All along the east and southern coast, we have hurricanes. In the middle west, drought and tornadoes. On the west coast we have drought and in the Northern environments winter colds that can kill you if left exposed for too long.

2b) When natural disasters strikes, our people are told. "Well, you should of had insurance. Tough luck." But then the businessman who paid his employees minimum wage (which is too low to afford insurance) is paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by our government.

So yes, in the US, life is a warrior culture... The only people more warrior like than we are those of the third world and only of the more harsh and brutal third world nations like Afghanistan.
:iconzagstrike:
ZaGstrike Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Everyone knows that Hitler was an avid DOTA player!
:iconkalinka-shadows:
Kalinka-Shadows Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Video games are just a scapegoat. The real problem is a few fold:

- The abuse of medications to control behavior. (Over prescribing, giving the wrong drugs to the wrong person.)
- The way we treat minors, and those that wish to flee the Christian dominant culture in the US.

If you are a minor, and some cases if you are a vulnerable adult (I fell into this category once.) Living in a Christian household makes you feel like a prisoner which you can't escape. U.S. society really doesn't tolerate different thinkers, it labels them as subversives, and outcasts. So what do they do? they retreat into fantasy worlds of video games. (another thing which is seen as anti-social behavior.) They become paranoid.

I was like that once. I saw enemies everywhere out to get me. My solution? Tell my parents I didn't love them effectively, move to Canada, get married and start a new life. And you know what? I don't feel paranoid anymore. I can interact with people and feel safe.
- The abuse of medications to control behavior. (Over prescribing, giving the wrong drugs to the wrong person.)

Caused by a stressed society looking for an escape.

- The way we treat minors, and those that wish to flee the Christian dominant culture in the US.

These people wish to escape the warrior way's of our culture.

If you are a minor, and some cases if you are a vulnerable adult (I fell into this category once.) Living in a Christian household makes you feel like a prisoner which you can't escape.

Well, the parents do have the right to raise their kids the way that they want them to be raised. Teach them the value system that the parents want their kids to learn. Unless we ban all parents from having kids and raise all kids in massive orphanages... You will have to accept this.
:iconpopaganda77:
popaganda77 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Photographer
Didn't read but I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Support our Poops" with an American flag lol
:iconshidaku:
Shidaku Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
None of the recent shootings follow a pattern related to a warrior culture. The are almost universally the result of temporary insanity. Not a desire to "right wrongs" with vigilante justice.
Ah, but what lead to the insanity? The warrior culture. But what created that culture? Likely not the video games, but rather the environment.

The US has some of the harshest environments around. We have almost every extreme at some part of the year and worst yet, our capitalist culture compounds the problem with dog eat dog ideals of employment where by everyone is a threat to your job security and everyone else is trying to get your bonus/pay raise by reducing the worth of your job.

We really are a warrior culture. The games and media we consume simply is the reflection of that culture.
:iconjeysie:
Jeysie Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Every time I point this out elsewhere on the net, I get called crazy.
Add a Comment: