Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 70

The most reasonable explanation I've seen in all the blaming of video games and guns...

:iconstaple-salad:
staple-salad Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
...and it was written for and posted on a comedy website.

[link]

For those of you who don't have the time to read it (and I recommend you do), the main idea is that it's not video games, it's not movies, it's not lyrics, it's not guns that is causing the violence, it is our warrior culture.
We idealize troops as the ultimate person to respect (before doctors, scientists, etc). We have superheros like Batman and not Sherlock. People who combat violence with righteous violence. We daydream about taking violent action against people before thinking about helping people.

Then he proposes solutions along the lines of enforcing age ratings, pointing out when children are playing violent and age inappropreate games, etc.

What are your thoughts? Obviously I agree with the author though I don't think it's possible to make such a huge cultural shift without a lot of time standing between now and then. But, even though I support banning assault rifles and military-grade weapons for civilian use, bans can only go so far when our culture at its core supports such violence.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcake-fiend:
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Not all violence has the same cause. I don't think that his warrior culture hypothesis accounts for people like the Connecticut school shooter.
:iconunvalanced:
Unvalanced Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Have you -seen- the Sherlock Holmes movies?

But no. While we have relatively high homicide rates, we actually have relatively low violent crime rates. If the issue were about "daydream[ing] about taking violent action", we should expect higher numbers in all types of violent crimes, which isn't the case.
:icondefense2:
defense2 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Well, lets see why we idolize the worrier.

1) From coast to coast, we as a nation are a dog eat dog nation. We do not help each other, but rather see each other as a threat to our continued job security. Which for the modern day person, job security is life, it is how we obtain the food we eat and the stuff which gets us the mates by which we continue our linage.

1b) Our schools are battle fields for our children, not places of learning.

1c) Those who manage to gain the resources or are awarded the resources for college, must hope and prey that they made the correct choices and cannot escape the economic debt should they have not made the correct choice... But see rich men be forgiven for destroying entire corporations without losing a single penny, or worst are paid by the government so that they continue to make more business based upon the failed models.

2) The natural environments of the US fight us daily. All along the east and southern coast, we have hurricanes. In the middle west, drought and tornadoes. On the west coast we have drought and in the Northern environments winter colds that can kill you if left exposed for too long.

2b) When natural disasters strikes, our people are told. "Well, you should of had insurance. Tough luck." But then the businessman who paid his employees minimum wage (which is too low to afford insurance) is paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by our government.

So yes, in the US, life is a warrior culture... The only people more warrior like than we are those of the third world and only of the more harsh and brutal third world nations like Afghanistan.
:iconzagstrike:
ZaGstrike Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Everyone knows that Hitler was an avid DOTA player!
:iconkalinka-shadows:
Kalinka-Shadows Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Video games are just a scapegoat. The real problem is a few fold:

- The abuse of medications to control behavior. (Over prescribing, giving the wrong drugs to the wrong person.)
- The way we treat minors, and those that wish to flee the Christian dominant culture in the US.

If you are a minor, and some cases if you are a vulnerable adult (I fell into this category once.) Living in a Christian household makes you feel like a prisoner which you can't escape. U.S. society really doesn't tolerate different thinkers, it labels them as subversives, and outcasts. So what do they do? they retreat into fantasy worlds of video games. (another thing which is seen as anti-social behavior.) They become paranoid.

I was like that once. I saw enemies everywhere out to get me. My solution? Tell my parents I didn't love them effectively, move to Canada, get married and start a new life. And you know what? I don't feel paranoid anymore. I can interact with people and feel safe.
- The abuse of medications to control behavior. (Over prescribing, giving the wrong drugs to the wrong person.)

Caused by a stressed society looking for an escape.

- The way we treat minors, and those that wish to flee the Christian dominant culture in the US.

These people wish to escape the warrior way's of our culture.

If you are a minor, and some cases if you are a vulnerable adult (I fell into this category once.) Living in a Christian household makes you feel like a prisoner which you can't escape.

Well, the parents do have the right to raise their kids the way that they want them to be raised. Teach them the value system that the parents want their kids to learn. Unless we ban all parents from having kids and raise all kids in massive orphanages... You will have to accept this.
:iconpopaganda77:
popaganda77 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Photographer
Didn't read but I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Support our Poops" with an American flag lol
:iconshidaku:
Shidaku Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
None of the recent shootings follow a pattern related to a warrior culture. The are almost universally the result of temporary insanity. Not a desire to "right wrongs" with vigilante justice.
Ah, but what lead to the insanity? The warrior culture. But what created that culture? Likely not the video games, but rather the environment.

The US has some of the harshest environments around. We have almost every extreme at some part of the year and worst yet, our capitalist culture compounds the problem with dog eat dog ideals of employment where by everyone is a threat to your job security and everyone else is trying to get your bonus/pay raise by reducing the worth of your job.

We really are a warrior culture. The games and media we consume simply is the reflection of that culture.
:iconjeysie:
Jeysie Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Every time I point this out elsewhere on the net, I get called crazy.
It is because we are taught to not worry about what we can't change, that competition is good, that you can never have enough competition.

The problem with the rat race is that by the time someone makes it to the end... There is another race to be had, and those contestants have already pushed the bar higher than it once was.

What happens then is that those least able to win the race fairly must cheat... Cheating is the criminal act, and for those at their ropes end, they stop playing all together and decide to kill the competition.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You can encourage age ratings all you like but they're already in force and kids still play GTA that is PEGI 18/Mature rated.
:iconanamusingalias:
anamusingalias Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Video games don't kill people. People kill people. :meow:
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
I think that's a salient point. To be honest... that part of US culture scares me. It seems everything I encounter related to the US will always go 'support our troops' when the issue is raised. Why? They're just people doing their job. What about other professions? Why must that be so ingrained in the culture? I don't think many of the US's allies care to such the degree the US does.

When my parents visited Hawaii, they talked with some random guy from mainland US : "Oh, you're Aussies! Australia is our greatest ally!" To which my parents were thinking "Umm, okay." I dunno, I just don't like the militaristic glorification. I guess the US and Australia do have similar, but wildly different backgrounds: one had puritans warring for independence; the other had convicts peacefully becoming self-governing. Granted that's overly-simplistic, but I make it for the sake of juxtaposition. We have ANZAC Day on the 25th of April and Remembrance Day on the 11th of November, both of which are solemn and dignified commemorations, not celebrations.

Not sure where I was going with that. Just thinking about the differences...
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
We have to crank up the violence to cartoonish levels. Make everything so violent that you couldn't possibly take it seriously.
:iconklaxonlithology:
KlaxonLithology Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
SuperJail! The Game.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I would play it. I love that show.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
IDK. I mean, Japan's not up there for gun violence but holy shit, Manchukuo! It's gotta be more complicated than that. As far as the vengeance stuff goes, what culture didn't start like that? :evileye: I mean Christianity, sure, but before then it was all about the eye for an eye.

Okay, I grew up playing violent as hell games and I've never even thought about that shit. As did most of my friends. The problem isn't desensitization to violence that isn't directly applied to your body, the problem is dealing with life.
Jeysie Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
"Then he proposes solutions along the lines of enforcing age ratings, pointing out when children are playing violent and age inappropreate games, etc."

THAT ALREADY IS DONE ARGH

Seriously. As someone who's worked in two different video game stores and shopped in countless others, games are already even more carefully and clearly labelled than movies, often to almost comically pedantic degrees. (Seriously, if you ever want a giggle, hop over to the ESRB website and read some of their content descriptions of why given games got their rating.) There is shitloads of signs and pamphlets and other information available. Every store that sells or rents games makes their employees ask for IDs.

And parents don't fucking care.

Not only do they utterly ignore all of it, but if you tell little Johnny he can't buy the latest BioShock or GTA game or such, then Johnny's Mom will come scream at you about how you didn't sell her little angel the game he wanted and then refuse to listen to any of your explanations.

So it's like... fuck them. Seriously. Short of posting guards in every single fucking home to ensure parents aren't letting kids play violent video games, what are we supposed to do? The game developers are doing their job by vetting their games with the ESRB. The ESRB is doing their job by labelling the fuck out of those games. The stores are doing their jobs by trying to educate parents and trying to keep kids from buying the games on their own. There is literally no law that could be passed that wouldn't replicate what's already being done voluntarily.

The only law left to pass is banning creating games that are unsuitable for anyone over the age of 10, so parents can be saved from themselves by there being no violent games for them to buy and let their kids play after ignoring every single damn roadblock already in place. And fuck that, I say. Why should everyone over the age of 13 have to give up all valid adult themes because parents collectively refuse to parent?
The only law left to pass is banning creating games that are unsuitable for anyone over the age of 10, so parents can be saved from themselves by there being no violent games for them to buy and let their kids play after ignoring every single damn roadblock already in place. And fuck that, I say. Why should everyone over the age of 13 have to give up all valid adult themes because parents collectively refuse to parent?

I have actually encountered parents that want to do this very thing.
It wouldn't surprise me.

You then shoved a giant box of ESRB pamphlets at them and told them to do their jobs as fucking parents, right?

Actually, I'm all for carpet bombing with documentation the houses of parents who say that stuff. If we can't educate them, we can at least annoy the fuck out of them.
Nah, they cry and too many liberals bitch at you for making someone cry... Unless you are taking from someone their right to own something that liberals think you ought not have, then liberals ignore the cries of those being denied something that they (not liberals) value.
Actually, hon, it's the conservatives that are head of the Moral Guardian brigade.
the conservatives might be the head of the morality bit, but it is the liberals who are the head of the make the world safer for my babies bit.

The conservatives argument is largely ignored in most states. It is the liberals crying that their babies saw boobies and or chucky kill someone on day time TV that makes the FCC come down harder on TV and the other agencies on the games and movies.

Both sides are at fault, this is why I am against all forms of censorship and that is what both sides want.
Nope, sorry. It's the Religious Right that is typically at the forefront of the censorship movement. I have never, in my life, met a liberal that gave a single fuck about their kid seeing a boobie.
defense2 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Then you haven't been to college in the last ten years.
(1 Reply)
:iconjeremyti:
Jeremyti Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Photographer
Who is this "we" you speak of?
The US.
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
How about all of the wars over the years? Don't you think that inspires violence?
Yeah, like the world has been so peaceful before video games were made.
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Its part of humanity to not be bunnies.
:iconpokecat:
pokecat Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Atleast Batman don't kill, not directly anyways. :batman:
:iconladysuzaku:
LadySuzaku Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
And he doesn't EVER use guns.
:iconzagstrike:
ZaGstrike Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
:iconthepunisherplz::iconsaysplz: Pussy!
:iconkalshion:
Kalshion Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
And if he does, it's never usually intentional :3
In the comics he does some pretty fucked up things that kill people in horrible and painful ways (if not directly by his hand). He's still less of a fucked up psychopath than Superman most of the time though.
Thought that he used guns in the dark knight comics?
:iconpsowill:
PSOWILL Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
It was actually before that. [link]
staple-salad Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I haven't read those. My knowledge of the comics comes from the internet and Batman Inc.
:iconshidaku:
Shidaku Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
You seem painfully unaware of comics.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
You know, he does seem to be right had this topic been about the pilot who intentionally crashed into an IRA building in Texas. Yes, we do have a culture that has a bit of a love for violence as a solution to problems and a strong desire to solve problems with violence. But this doesn't exactly fit this case of recent shootings when we only have one living shooter and we don't know if he had a reason for a theater with Batman playing over something else, like Ted.
I think he chose Batman because one of the opening scenes involves a lot of shooting. The sound of the film would mask what he was doing and probably delay a reaction. Around the same part of Ted, it's a kid opening a Christmas present.
:iconthelightswentoutin99:
TheLightsWentOutIn99 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Writer
So, do hunter-gatherer/warrior cultures have mass killings?
Not as much internally. Some do, but the ones that do are also violent in general half the time (and it can get kinda fucked up sometimes). I wish I could remember the name of the specific ones we covered in my anthropology classes.

Others don't. I don't think the !Kung have much of a problem with violence though, for example.

It really depends on the group.
:iconthelightswentoutin99:
TheLightsWentOutIn99 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Writer
Let me offer another bit of speculation to counter your initial one. Say it's actually alienation from one's fellows, combined with high levels of negative emotion, an unstable mental state, and a violent personality that leads to mass killings.
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
That fagmobile is totally right.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
So I should be a heavily armed elfin swordsman, killing creatures clearly not of this word, employed by an evil force?
:iconmlaproduction:
MLAproduction Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I play rather violent video games and yet I cringe at the idea of real people and real critters dying.

(except flies and mosquitoes, I actually rescue other bugs out of the house as long as I am pretty sure they are not poisonous or tend to bite)

but I'm probably the extreme minority here. and yes it's always been a behavior trit to praise the hunters that provided food or the warriors which protected us from enemies. it's instinct for the most part and it is not one we are likely to get rid of.
I play rather violent video games and yet I cringe at the idea of real people and real critters dying.

So do I. Actually, it's also unsettling to me when I play video games as well. For instance, I was playing Bioshock earlier, and I felt awful about so many innocent people (despite only being video game characters) getting killed.

I can understand your remarks on hunters and warriors. Some need to hunt to eat, while others need to defend themselves (and/or others) from hostile forces.
:iconmlaproduction:
MLAproduction Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Digital Artist
it's all due to cultural behavior and our own instinct and unfortunately a bunch of those instincts are not likely to disappear they are quite hard-coded.

I have less issue with the deaths of animals so long as they are either killed for food or to prevent the spread of prion diseases such as Mad Cow and its like.
Add a Comment: