Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 284

Fan labor should be legalized!

:iconartman40:
Artman40 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
I was thinking: millions of people on and outside the Internet draw fan art, write fanfiction, develop fan games and do many other things. Unfortunately, this practice is currently illegal. What's more that fan labor is not usually made for the malicious purposes and is more made to pay tribute to the things they like or just want to get creative. Moreover, there are many fan works which have more effort put into them than works they're based upon.

What's terrible is that while fan works being illegal is often condemned, no one has really started a major campaign against legalizing them. Deviantart itself has just huge amounts of fan art and many sites like Fanfiction.net are specifically made to contain fanfiction of which it currently has over million pieces.

What are your opinions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist
I'm resigned to the fact that fan art will never be my own original design =P I know I can't sell my fan-works (but perhaps, with some permission, my fandom OCs are plausible for selling, but who wants to buy that? haha)

I respect the original creator's copyright but that won't stop me from doing fan art. So my opinion is fan works should be tolerated, as long as they aren't sold without consent of the original designer. Heck, you might even make more if they commissioned you to make art of their original designs. Licensing and all that :D

For now, fan works are a ticket to getting attention in the art industry. You use fan works to practice your skills and make works for your portfolio (and I have decided to do that also, haha). I heard that some Avatar:The Last Airbender fan artists now work for Mike and Bryan on Korra :lol: I also saw this this anime-ed version of a scene of the Simpsons and the dA user said it helped her get a job.
:iconhungryartistsunited:
hungryartistsunited Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Pixel art-vertising: [link]
:iconinstinctbylaw:
InstinctbyLaw Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
NO MORE LEGALITY FOR FAN WORKS! Or we get more pathetic shit like Fifty Shades of Gray.
:iconinstinctbylaw:
InstinctbyLaw Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Why should people make money off of someone's idea? If you though Spiderman was SUPER AWESOME! So you created someone called...Arachnidman, who used the same colors and almost had the exact same story and you thought you were inspired and creative, you're really just a thief, IF you try to make money.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
If fan art were illegal, I'm pretty sure DA would be shut down by now.
Artman40 Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
Actually it is still illegal unless you manage to disguise it as a review or analysis or make sure it's a parody.
:iconmeganmissfit:
MeganMissfit Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Well I sure as hell don't want people drawing pictures of MY stuff and selling it :|
Artman40 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I didn't say anything about selling stuff.
:icondebra-marie:
Debra-Marie Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Labor? You wanna know what REAL labor is? it's coming up with an original character or idea. That's what labor is. Fan art is fun every now and then, but devoting yourself to it is unoriginal, and selling it is illegal. Someone else worked hard to design it, why not design your own?
:iconjeysie:
Jeysie Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Add a Comment: