Closed to new replies
January 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 470

Why are you opposed to the legalization of cannabis

:iconoprahwinfreyx:
OprahWinfreyX Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
seriously, why? It's a fucking harmless drug that can really bring in some hefty tax revenue. It can be regulated like alcohol is. Come on, if you're opposed to it, then don't smoke it! silly.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthebuttfish:
TheButtfish Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist
they should outlaw weed and legalize PCP, black tar heroin and crack

time to use grown-up drugs, people.
:iconiwanttofuckingdie:
iwanttofuckingdie Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
yea tax it so those retarded stoner cunts finally start contributing to society
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
You are stupid.
are you too blazed to come up with a proper reply you worthless waste of space?
Lol, you are a terrible troll.
another great reply. put some effort in next time. oh wait youre a stoner nvm
Are you new to trolling or something? You really aren't very good. Blatant ignorance presented in a non-ironic format does not constitute an adequate troll.
who says im trolling? i genuinely think youre a completely stupid faggot and im just saying so
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
Lol, sure kid, whatever you say.
:iconrhichter:
Rhichter Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Its a lot like alcohol. It affects the brain. Not in any way that would be deemed physically harmful but it exaggerates underlying medical conditions revolving around personality disorders and mental disorders.

Its the type of drug that requires sincere caution but is mostly harmless. Lulling a lot of people into a false sense of security.

I think it should be legalized and regulated by the government very carefully in the same way that alcohol is. But, again, you have to bear in mind how very, very young humanity is in the front of legalization of drugs.
Alcohol actually does harm you.
:iconrhichter:
Rhichter Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
So does marijuana. In many ways, more so than alcohol. Physically, no, its quite safe. Alcohol will cause you many more problems than THC will physiologically. Its psychologically where the problems are. And it doesn't so much cause those problems as it does aggravate them.
:iconthegman0:
theGman0 Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist
What?
:icontemporal-lizardo:
Temporal-Lizardo Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Almost all scientific evidence so far indicates that is, to quote you, "fucking harmless" in the long-term.
However, I believe that there is long-term effects. This is probably because I am a pessimist and cannot understand how something that is so positive (judging from how dedicated people are to using it) can have no negative effects. I just don't see how a mind-affecting substance can have no long-term effects whatsoever.
(Most research done in the United States, to my understanding, is so strictly regulated that it is not in any way representative of how most people us cannabis. That leaves pretty much just some European countries to be responsible to do research on cannabis' effects/benefits.)
Therefore, I think more research--good research--needs to be done before opening the door to legalization. Someone else brought up the point that there's a difference between people who get high for the sake of being high (like getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk). I don't have a problem with someone smoking cannabis every so often as long as they don't do anything that negatively impacts other people (anything from driving while high to eating everything in the fridge :) ). But if it were legalized, there's going to be more people who get high solely for the sake of getting high on a regular basis (as in, all somebody ever does is get high, no contribution to society being made, etc), just like how it's much easier to get drunk now that Prohibition is over.
OprahWinfreyX Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
There just may Be long term effects of marijuana, but as opposed to crack heads and heroin addicts it is fucking harmless. There are negative long term effects to virtually all consumables. It doesn't make sense to have drugs such as tobacco & alcohol legal and say pot should be illegal because there are long term effects of it.
:icontemporal-lizardo:
Temporal-Lizardo Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
The problem is, nobody is certain what those effects might be. For all we know, it could turn out marijuana causes lung cancer faster than tobacco does. If marijuana were legalized before enough research was done on its effects, and if severe long-term effects were found later, it'd become like tobacco: something that the government tries to discourage people to use but can only regulate up to a certain point due to the power of tobacco companies.
OprahWinfreyX Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
So, prohibition never works. The government isnt our nanny we should be responsible for our own bodies.
:iconinfinitetolerance:
infinitetolerance Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013
props!
OprahWinfreyX Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thankyou
:iconstephenl:
StephenL Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
I seriously doubt that someone consuming a joint before they start a days work and also at breaks would be able to perform on their job at normal levels compared to simply having a cup of coffee.

Having people driving cars under the influence would be extremely dangerous.

Again, smoking cannabis does cause very serious reactions in some people, and does in many individual circumstances lead to harder drugs.
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
So you're saying we should ban alcohol? I don't want someone drinking before or during work, and if alcohol is legal they most certainly will.
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Photographer
this comment makes my brain sad.
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Also, regarding smoking before working, I take it you've never been to a Waffle House.
:iconhustlerdu:
hustlerdu Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
actually a very small percentage of people who use weed end up using harder drugs

and smoking weed actually doesn't impair driving either [link]

i think creative and intellectual people often perform their jobs better while high
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013
Weed leads to harder drugs less often than alcohol leads to alcoholism.
:iconkinoc-kun:
Kinoc-Kun Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Hemp is a very reliable material that can be an easily used substitute for paper, rope, and several other everyday products. THC in cannabis plants can help cancer patients and other people suffering from diseases ease the pain of their affliction and eventually even kill the cancer cells altogether.

Unfortunately, this is where the usefulness ends.

Marijuana, just like any other drug, is a drug that can be exploited and abused. While it doesn't show any serious physical problems until MUCH later in life with heavy use comparable with chain smoking cigarettes, it does cause one's brain to slow down. Studies in Australia in 2008 linked years of heavy marijuana use to brain abnormalities. This is backed up by earlier research on the long-term effects of marijuana, which indicate changes in the brain similar to those caused by long-term abuse of other major drugs. And a number of studies have shown a connection between continued marijuana use and psychosis. Further use can also cause disruptions in the menstrual cycle for women, disrupt nerve cells in the brain causing issues with memory, and even temporary to near permanent sterility in men.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you, that was a point that I tried to make as well. This guy does not want hemp/marijuana to be legalized for practical uses or helping certain patients. The OP wants it legalized just so they can smoke it. :P And yes, I've seen the 2 posts below me.
I'm for both recreational medical use and I've never smoked pot.
OprahWinfreyX Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
so are you for the prohibition of alcohol also?
Kinoc-Kun Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I gave you an educated and researched opinion on why I don't agree with pot, and you come back with a smart ass remark. This is why pot heads are stupid, lol.
hustlerdu Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
how is a question a smart ass remark? there have been multiple nobel prize winning scientists who have been pot-heads, and even attributed their success to pot. to say that all pot heads are stupid is ironically actually a pretty stupid thing to say.
I'm not a pot head, I'm only asking since you are stating that there are dangers smoking pot as an argument for pro cannabis , I want to know if you are also for alcohol prohibition. Its not a matter of how dangerous it is, it's a matter someone telling someone what they can and can't put in their bodies. People are responsible for what they take in And how they act while under the influence of that of which they they have taken in. I'm sorry if you were offended by my reply to your original comment, understand that I merely wanted more information to build off of because your comment could be applied to other substance such as alcohol ergo I asked if you felt the same about it.
Kinoc-Kun Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Like marijuana, alcohol is also able to be abused and exploited, but definitely on a larger scale. Unlike weed, the effects of alcohol are very soon and can cause much more disastrous effects on the brain and body as well. I'm not for the prohibition of anything, really. You can smoke a joint every now and then when you've had a rough day to chill out, and you can relax with a bottle of wine or beer.

It's the people who get high for the sake of just being high, or getting drunk for the sake of being drunk that turns into an issue, because those people are essentially destroying themselves. I've had a friend of mine lose his wife recently over his inability to say no to pot, and my fiance's father has been in prison for domestic abuse and substance abuse due to his addiction to alcohol.
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013
Your opinion is only educated and researched if you also do not agree with alcohol, though.
:iconsharpguard:
SharpGuard Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013
In this thread; generalizations
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Professional General Artist
I think it's stupid that weed is illegal and taboo and alcohol is not. I'm not saying alcohol should be illegal, but there are a lot alcohol related deaths every year and alcohol can be addictive. I don't understand why something (alcohol) that has been a direct cause in deaths is not a problem, but a harmless plant is :shrug:
OprahWinfreyX Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.
:iconmushroomjourney:
MushroomJourney Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
They probably complain about it because they can't think of anything else to b*tch about.
:iconchakatblackstar:
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Harmless? It seems to turn people using it into idiots when they're under the influence and effect their judgement, cause hallucinations, etc.
hustlerdu Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
Do u have any evidence that it turns people using it into idiots? How exactly does thc specifically transform one into an idiot? I posted a comment elsewhere in this thread with a lengthy list of some of the most accomplished people in the world in several different fields who all smoke pot regularly and advocate its use.many of them like Francis crick Richard freynmann Mary mullion Steve jobs etc... even claim that without the use of pot they would never have made their most monumental discoveries and accomplishments with all of the. Basically saying something along the lines of weed enhancing abstract thought.

Weed doesn't determine who you are it interacts with who u are. If an idiot smokes pot he will probably stay an idiot. However give it to a scientist or doctor you might end up with a breakthrough. And we all know how great it is for musicians and artists and the like.

So actually all the available evidence would suggest it helps people think and accomplish things if anything at all.
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
At best, that suggests it helps them look at things from a new angle, something a long break could do.
hustlerdu Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
well they explicitly said themselves it was something about pot. and just the mere fact that people so smart smoke pot regularly proves that it doesn't make you dumb.

so what exactly would be the evidence that weed makes people dumb? still not getting that.
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
Just because they smoked pot, doesn't prove it didn't make them dumber. It just means it would take more for average people to notice the effect it had on them. It's so sad. Imagine what they could have achieved if they hadn't sacrificed some of their brain cells to pot.
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Photographer
everything you said lost all of it's tiny shred of credibility when you brought up the "pot kills brain cells" argument. Just incredible that people still think that. this isn't 1936, lol
hustlerdu Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
Yeah so what's the evidence that it made them dumber? I just don't understand why you believe that. There's no evidence or reasoning to support it so its kind of irrational.

Its also scientifically Provence it doesn't kill brain cells. There's pretty compelling evidence that it stimulates brain cell growth actually. That's also an irrational opinion.

I dunno you can either choose to be a rational person or not. Rational people have evidence and reasoning that supports their opinions and explains why they think the way they do. And irrational people believe things for no reason or questionable reasons and they have silly unsupportable opinions. So yeah I mean I guess you can just choose what side of the fence you're on on this. I personally just prefer to side with the doctors and scientists and studies and evidence and that stuff.
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
Sure, weed is good for your mind, just like alcohol is good for your health and cigars are good for your lungs.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That got a good chuckle from me. Well said.
(1 Reply)
hustlerdu Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013
so do you have any reasoning or evidence to explain your belief that weed makes people dumber? or are you just irrational?
(1 Reply)
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
mild hallucinations, nothing real. Not nearly as much as you think
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Still, something like that has got to be doing damage...and even if it isn't it still renders you effectively useless while under it's influence.
Add a Comment: