Would the world be a better place if the United States collapsed

Like the Soviet Union did during the cold war?

My vote is - I was disappointed when they decided not to ment the 1 trillion dollar coin. Was hoping to see a collapse before my birthday. The United States is the only "Empire" of modern day. Our creating/starting a war every 5 years, usually with countries that don't even have a military, just a population that can be bombed indiscriminately while our contractors move into to "rebuild" it.

"Homeland Defense", "War On Drugs" that has completely wiped out Mexico's government due to the staggering power of drug lords, the NSA, "Fusion Centers", and that database located in (Arizona is it?) the size of a small city meant to record every phone call conversation, text message, and bit of data from the world wide web.

It has really has become scary.

My opinion is obvious but is there anyone here that can defend the United States as being "one of the good guys" - is it even possible to pretend anymore?

Imagine if China tried even half the shit that we do. It would be World War 3 already.
Comments130
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
if America fell today, I could only imagine the shock and chaos that would bring about. all the money, all the land, everything would be total horror. when the mighty countries of old fell look what happened, chaos and they were swallowed up in other countries and then their people because that people. this will also happen to America, auctioned off perhaps? sold for what was own? what of the people? what of the true natives who are full blooded and have always been here? they would probably be sucked back into another culture, will they be allowed to remain? will the American people become slaves? so many questions which could arise if this actually happened today or any day. it would be a horrible event which could bring about even more chaos. countries fighting over the remains of America, it's scary if one really sits down to think about it. history alone shows what happens when a mighty empire falls, this would probably not be any different.
you seem to be a tea party guy, all the shit you listed was done by our failed government
No. Russia, China, and mabey Brazil or India will make a mad dash for the overseas patronage for the influence the US left behind.

This will cause a war.

" The United States is the only "Empire" of modern day. Our creating/starting a war every 5 years,"
You don't pay attention to global politics then.

"usually with countries that don't even have a military"
Iraq, and the taliban both had a military.

Or mabey not Brazil or India, initially, but they might get involved later on.
I know the US has caused some major problems, but the world would not be better off if the US collapsed given how much of a market that the USA represents. I think a better scenario would be one where the US gradually declines while other nations rise up and a level of equilibrium is established throughout most of the world.
There is no chance the US will collapse, however it's just a matter of time until another enemy of the US decide that they have had enough, and retaliate, whether America has stealth jets, aircraft carriers or nuclear warheads.
yeah so far weve never been attacked...remember 911 was a hoax, so was Pear Harbor
As things stand in the world, the world probably wouldn't be a better place with the fall of the US, it would certainlly be different and more interesting. 
Brazil and china would rise as new superpowers to fill the vacuum, human rights as we know them in the west would start to erode and eventually we'd all end up with about the same level of rights they have in china, or we'd have large scale wars ravaging the world again as a new equilibrium tries to establish itself.
I don't think Brasil or China would rise as new superpowers quite yet. While they definitely are powerful economically, they don't have broad international support, and they don't have the naval power to rival the existing blue-waters. In time however, I'd bet on Brasil, if only because of a more progressive Government and a head-start.
Everybody to learn Chinese! :iconevilgrinplz:
I agree completely. There's nothing better for the world than global depression and China becoming the predominant superpower.
We've already paved the way for that to happen simply by abandoning our anti-slave and child labor laws and becoming a "service based" nation so that they receive all of our jobs and wealth.
Oh... Where to start with this?

The United States isn't perfect, but it's not as bad as you haters think it is either. Yes we had a terrible recession after the housing market collapsed and because of too much war spending, but we're probably going to come out of it okay in the end. China on the other hand is facing a similar situation, or maybe even a worse situation, with their housing market which has not quite hit yet. All of us American's sit over here and go, "WOW they have 10% GDP growth again this year!". Do you know why? Because they set their GDP goal and MAKE it happen. Do you know how they make it happen? They build new luxury houses, malls, and roads. Then they count them as part of the GDP regardless of the fact that there are tons upon tons of whole huge new empty malls, apartment buildings, theme parks, and homes with no people in them (because most people can't afford them)! That's how they inflate their GDP and make their goal (which by the way they are having a hard time keeping up with and these days probably won't meet), but it gets worse!

In China, they have a huge problem with government corruption and pollution! So even if you can afford to live in one of those luxury homes, because you're one of the lucky ones, you'll still be surrounded by toxic chemicals and illegal dumps!

And don't kid yourself- China would love to get away with half of the things that the United States does. Maybe worse. Ever hear of the Sengoku Islands surrounding Japan? Well China is in a dispute right now with Japan, because they think that they have the rights to them. They've been sending ships into the area, buzzing Japan's airspace, and Chinese citizens went on a riot a few moths back and attacked Japanese businesses in China because of them.

Now, all this is not to say that China isn't wealthy, powerful, or to try to say that it is a terrible country. China is just another large, powerful, country like any other in my book. It's just to give you a little perspective on what happens outside of the United States. We're not the only country that faces problems with our economy, corruption, or does unethical things. Oh, and don't even get me started on what will happen to their healthcare system when the one child policy makes it so that the population switches from being mostly young to almost entirely old!

The whole world has problems, I hope that we can figure them out. :shrug:

Oh BTW links if you're interested:

China's Ghost Cities: [link]
China's Pollution Problem: [link]
China and The Sengoku Islands Dispute: [link]

Or just watch some news that isn't based in the US.
Only one way to find out
I want you to take some time, open another tab and go look at the issues faced by Greece and its economic woes and how much of an issue it's been for the surrounding region as well as the rest of the world. Did you go and do that? Splendid. It's important. Now, I want you to realize that Greece is not even in the top 25 largest economies in the world.

By contrast, The United States has the world's largest national economy and the world's second largest economy, only just surpassed by the European Union. It produces 25% of all global GDP and holds 20% of global Purchasing Power Parity, the largest in the entire world. It's the third-largest producer of oil on the planet and the second-largest of natural gas. It represents a fifth of all global manufacturing output. 60% of all global currency reserves is invested in the dollar.

With all of that mind, would the world be a better place if it collapsed? I'm leaning towards no.

All that being said, your post is dumb and misinformed. Stop being dumb, please.
I'm aware of what happened to Greece. They suffered because of our corruption and allowing the wealthy banks to control our Government as they please.

Unfortunately economic collapses and depressions are built into the very fabric of our "Free Market" economy. It is supposed to happen - repeatedly, and often. What's interesting
is how these "bubbles" have greatly accelerated from once ever 40-50's years to once every 10 years to finally... it seems to be every 5 or less.
No, you are apparently not very aware as it has little to do with the United States government or any banks, outside of Goldman Sachs being complicit in tax evasion. Greece's issues stem from excessive government spending, a massive budget deficit and an unsustainable debt-to-GDP ratio that's been increasing for the last 30 years. Not to mention a lack of statistical credibility which allowed the problem to last so long without being noticed in the first place. They brought that situation down on themselves.

No, the system itself does not inherently fail and considering how it's been happening globally for centuries, I'd say it's just part of general economic growth. The reasons for economic downturns are many and varied. Whether it be overconfidence by both consumers and investors in a particular market ([link] [link]), speculation markets ([link]), currency issues brought on by war ([link]), over-expansion ([link]), fraudulent financial practices ([link]), and even railroad executives ([link]). Your figure for how often economic bubbles occur is so wrong, it's almost physically painful to read.
Trade across what was the former US states would be a total nightmare. I think that's something we take for granted right now.
Not collapse, they're fine to exist, just take their hand out of other countries' asses and stop policing the world.
Well said. I would not want a country like China (or anyone else, for that matter) looming over us and keeping troops here...
I don't know about collapse, but I do think things would be a lot better if the rest of the world started giving us the middle finger more often.

If everyone stopped doing business with us whenever we started being shitty, our companies would be on the phone tomorrow begging the government to stop pissing everyone else off.
Depends on who you ask. There are a lot of third-world shitholes who rely on "foreign aid" from the US to stay above the water, so I bet they'd have a tough time if that aid was no longer available.
Already living in a state that is as close to totalitarian theocracy as they can get away with and not being a member of the religion in charge, this absolutely terrifies me. There will be nothing to check them if the US collapses. Socially the result would be little different than living in Saudi Arabia. That's not even starting on the economic effects, globally and domestically.

I'm not saying I'm happy with the state of things, I'm not at all, but thinking a collapse is the best solution is short-sighted at best.