Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 315

Information about gun control in the U.S. and the 2nd amendment

:icongunshai:
Gunshai Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Firearms and the laws regarding them have been an issue of controversy since the birth of this nation. Usually the most compelling arguments focus on the "need" of an individual to own firearms. That people in a civilized society don't "need" semi-automatic rifles and high capacity magazines.

There may be some truth to this, and I'd be the first to say the only thing that bothers me more than mindless gun control activists regurgitating someone else's opinions are irresponsible gun owners who treat rifles and handguns as toys. And add ridiculous modifications in place of practice and a basic respect for firearms.

However the 2nd amendment was not referring no an individuals "need" it was a satisfactory safeguard to protect the citizens of this new country from being oppressed by anyone ever again, even their own government. This was an attempt to ensure that if an event similar to the American revolutionary war happened again, that the people would be allowed to fight to protect their rights if a peaceful solution could not be reached. Battle of Athens TN This was an event in the U.S. wherein people suffering oppression used their weapons but were still able to show some restraint and decency in resolving their conflict. And would not have had the same results had they been unarmed.

The recently purposed firearm restrictions to be placed on U.S. citizens are somewhat ridiculous, considering it's only slightly different from the original assault weapons ban put in place by the Clinton administration. Which, while in effect, had no noticeable change in the almost random nature of murders and other shootings. In fact, because of this suggested ban gun stores are selling out of "scary black rifles" faster than they can restock. And still there's been no increase in crime. In fact the crime rate has been dropping steadily even without any firearm restrictions. 5 facts on guns and gun violence Here is some further reading that is simple and valid to the conversation.

Please forgive me if my opinions would cause friction between us in conversation. Thanks for reading.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhungryartistsunited:
hungryartistsunited Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Pixel art-vertising: [link]
:iconmeanus:
meanus Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
first make the government give up their guns, then we will have a discussion about regular folk giving up theirs
:iconholly-mellor:
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Laws restrict those that follow them, criminals don't follow the law. So HOW will restricting CIVILIANS from having guns prevent CRIMINALS from committing gun crimes?
:iconmclandis:
Mclandis Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
The new laws include strengthening background checks, which exist to stop criminals from getting ahold of guns.

Also, if gun laws don't work, explain why countries with strict gun laws (like France or Japan) aren't being overrun with gun-toting outlaws.
Gunshai Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
Well said. It's unfortunate that many of the existing laws are in fact well written and exist to allow civilized life to flow more smoothly. . . In theory.
Communism works perfect on paper, all it takes a human mind (which is never without vice) to fuck it up.
:iconnovuso:
Novuso Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
I love the story of Athens TN. It is a great story of the people fighting back against corruption.

Will add a 6th gun fact here: 446 school age children were shot in Chicago a city with the strongest gun control laws in the country. Gun control does NOT work as it increases violence.
Gunshai Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Thank you for your comment :)
Normally I would try to turn the conversation towards finding a compromise (even though I agree with you 100%) and make an argument to support gun-control. Because I'd like to be able to examine this problem with you, without bias.
Unfortunately it's apparently impossible to have a mature conversation with the indoctrinated gun control supporters on this site. For all the peace and love crap they spout they are the most hateful and close minded collective I've ever seen. I'm so tired of reading garbage text supporting gun control. Your comment is one of the few oases of intelligence in a wasteland of cowards and fools.
You should check out my newest Journal. I think you will like it. One way or another we will beat the collective tyranny. Human beings are not farm animals to be controlled. We are free sovereign individuals with rights sans the government.
Some links I forgot:

[link]
[link]

Liberals shed only crocodile tears and only when it suits there gun grabbing agenda. Tally: 62 Children killed in Chicago and 446 shot. Where is the wall to wall 24/7 coverage of this liberals? Crocodile tears indeed.
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Actually, compared to when the ban was in place, shootings are much more prevalent since the ban was lifted [link]
Add a Comment: