So... Puerto Rico.

Since the majority vote, I haven't heard much about Puerto Rico reaching statehood. My questions are:

Is the US government going to pass statehood soon? If not, when?
&
How do you think the US government will handle Puerto Rico once it does become a state?

Bonus question:
Is statehood a good thing for Puerto Rico/ the US?
Comments149
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Bring 'em in. Change the flags!
"Is the US government going to pass statehood soon? If not, when?"

Looks like they voted to join, excellent
[link]

Thats the US constitution's rules on new states. Not specific. Puerto Rico is certainly eligible for statehood. I found this:
"
1. A territory petitions Congress.
2. The dependent area drafts a constitution with a republican form of government.
3. Congress must approve statehood by a simple majority.
4. The President must sign the bill."
from here,
[link]

I know the Puerto Rican public has approved statehood, but has the territorial government drafted a State constitution, or petitioned congress yet?

"How do you think the US government will handle Puerto Rico once it does become a state?"
Same as any other state. Puerto Rico is already US soil, and Puerto Ricans have been American citizens for a very long time. They have their own National Guard, and most state level functions in a territorial government.

Not much will change, except people in the soon to be 51 states, will actuall hear more about PR, because it will be relevant in national politics.
They HAVE petitioned congress but I haven't heard anything about their constitution.

Also, they ARE US citizens but they don't get exactly the same rights as the rest of us. Weird. :/
they do have a territory constitution. It has the prerequisite requirements of republicanism, democracy, and all the jazz
Don't they live under taxation without fair representation right now?
Nope. They don't pay US taxes.
Huh. I'm not very versed in this, but what does the States have to gain from another State? Aside from an confusing problem with the flag.
Taxation; control of resources and ports, larger influence at the isles. It's like the Alaska boundary dispute but more important.
But then there will be 51 stars on the flag and that will look weird
But think of how much it will stimulate the flag making industry.
True! Those poor bastards are suffering
Foreigners coming in and messing with my flag!
I dunno, I think this one: [link] from the Statehood movement itself: [link] looks kind of awesome.
The non circle one looks better because it uses the rectangular space better, I think
Ironically the top one is really just our current flag's design with one more star, more or less.
Yeah. Don't fix what isn't broken I guess. They're just in really neat rows in the current one though
:iconpsychrophyte: is upset I dismissed his 1950's bullshit and blocked me:rofl: :iconhardgayplz:

Thanks to his Wikipedia dump I found some helpfully debasing arguments.
In regards to Omega's post, I wasn't aware that making no retort whatsoever and simply telling somebody to 'get over it' constitutes as a legitimate dismissal of one's argument. And upset? Contrarily that would be you and him, as evidenced by your desire to make a separate comment chain bawling about my block in a circle-jerk fashion. I blocked him because I do not tolerate responses which do not make some attempt at an in-depth discussion.

Furthermore I cannot help but find Omega's spiteful wailing to be ironic considering his history of blocking people who are actually putting forth legitimate debates, as a cop-out method.

"...Wikipedia dump..."

The only people who condescend the usage of Wikipedia are those who do not know how to use the site and have no idea what a reference is.

"...I found some helpfully debasing arguments."

So instead of actually providing these debasing arguments so that we could have had a legitimate debate of some sort, you babbled on with an irrelevant analogy about Axe body spray.

Okay.
Psychrophyte blocked me too after a valiant attempt at insults. I think that guy may be a bit unhinged. :/
I think he's easily upset this week or something.
I think he went off his meds.

He used to actually be halfway comprehensible, ages ago. Now he's just sort of lost it.
View all replies