Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 67

No wonder: Things to fear in 1940s were Fluoridated water, polio vaccine, and mental health.

:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
The problem with this, is that many of the people that were indoctrinated under such suspicions, are still alive, and in positions of power that they shouldn't be, instead of working the cafeteria at an old folks home.

The discussion I seek is the effects of McCarthyism, and how it has negatively impacted the society of the USA, and what can be done to reverse the effects.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkarinta:
Karinta Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Student General Artist
森の村の丸を見る。
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
don't group "mental health" with florridation of water, and real science like vaccines.

mental health has a long sorid history of abuse, and political influence, and has been used to detain "undesirables" without trial, and ruin lifes, with forced lobotomies and electroshock treatment.

In fact, staying away from medicine if you were poor during the eugenics era in America, was probably a good idea. The doctors, mostly middle-upper class had a good chance of not treating you any better than cattle.
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

Mental Health has a long sorid history of abuse.
[link]

Electroshock and lobotomies have faded from view. So have many of the original crackpot political-base theories of why they tortured people. However, psychologists still have yet to abandon social, political, and economic self intrest in their work, and there has yet to be a clean sweep of the industry.

Communism has slowly faded from view(or not, Hugo Chavez???), but the same ability of the government to push buttons is known. How many of the people who work in propaganda, grew up hearing about McCarthyism, and figured somethings don't change

Some people watch movies and root for the bad guys. Some people ask themselves "what can I do to get and obtain power", and "how do I justify it". This seems to be the norm in the US for anyone who attains any power, or any influence. We've equated bullshit to reality, and we've lost all morals in lying to eachother.

We see a man on a podium, we no longer ask if he's good or evil, just that he has power, and if we are nice to him, mabey we'll get some too, or at least not be rounded up after the next tragedy. Good PR, can make any man on any podium, good. We worship celebrities as they break all the laws we vigorusly enforce on other people, and then get dismayed when justiced gets served.

we apply the same to politicians, under the guise of "political expediency", but expect nothing more from politicians than lip service to feel better about ourselves. Instead of working with eachother to find solutions, we rig eachother up as straw man, to point fingers, and goad most socially oppertunist among us to commit otherwise anti-social acts against them.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
[link]

Odd, that's what McArthyism was based upon.
McCarthyism was based on a lot of things.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
But especially silly fears like those.
did you read any of the links I posted?

Do you know who Alan Turing was?
[link]

His name came up in class today.

The British Government give s a formal apology for his treatment
[link]

"It's too late to save World War II codebreaker and computer inventor Alan Turing, who was chemically castrated for being gay in 1952. But 55 years after Turing's death, the British PM Gordon Brown has apologized."

DO YOU THINK THIS IS FAKE?

DO YOU THINK THAT THIS IS SOME SORT OF PARANOID DELUSION?

THIS IS THE MAN WHO CRACKED ENGIMA. HE IS THE REASON WE ARE NOT SPEAKING GERMAN RIGHT NOW. HE WAS ONE OF THE GREATEST MINDS......EVER.

HE INVENTED THE GENERAL PURPOSE COMPUTER.

HE WAS CASTRATED BY THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT AS PART OF "MENTAL HEALTH". HE TOOK HIS OWN LIFE. IT WAS AARON SWARTZ * 1 MILLION.

MENTAL HEALTH......
:iconleapinglela:
LeapingLela Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The true fear was communism. As senator McCarthy did demonstrate and wrecked several careers in the process. America seems to rally to a rational fear. In the 50's and 60's is was communism. In the 70's it was AIDS and drugs. We will find something else to fear just as we always do.
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013
AIDS wasn't recognized until 1981. No one was afraid of AIDS in the 70's. And fear helped us identify the exact causes and precautions at an elevated pace. Some fear is warranted and helpful when there are real problems.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
No, it was Leninism and Stalinism.
it was the soviet union, and their military and intellegence agencies.
LeapingLela Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Who believed in what doctrine of government?
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
you misspelled "irrational"
LeapingLela Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
A fear within reason.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
In general, Cold War-era politics continue to infuse our...fucking everything. I know even Obama's said stuff about it before.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Can we at least get Proportional Representation installed in the USA?
NO NEVAR
Why not?
Cause this is MURRICA.
Why do we have to be so separate from the world? Especially in the age where it doesn't even take a full day to cross the entire globe.
Something something an attempt to develop cultural identity due to a skewed balance of power something unipolarity. :B
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
But isn't the USA the melting pot of criminals, Mafioso, religious outcasts, rejects, misfits, rebels, inbreds, and so on?
(1 Reply)
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I think that McCarthyism created a vicious circle of fear in the US at the time which actually worked very well for the Soviets, who undoubtedly thought "Hey look, they're afraid of us - good, let's play with that." I see many parallels in things like the so-called war on terror, e.g. deliberately falsifying evidence to build a case for war in Iraq. [link] (The Spanish inquisition is an older example of much the same thing). Modern legal systems try to prevent this sort of mechanism with concepts of due process and avoiding unfounded or unfair allegations through proper regard for, and substantiation of evidence.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I wish we still had the Great Soviet Dragon rather than the coyotes we're chasing because the geese settled down and we want to show our power.
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Not being American and coming from a place where the french are even more full of themselves than usual, I've never heard of McCarthyism and thought this had to do with that bitch Jenny McCarthy and her "vaccines cause autism" claims. :paranoid:
No, but she seems like she might be descended from Joseph McCarthy.
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
That's what I gathered. :lol:
:iconcelestialsheep:
CelestialSheep Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're saying a lot about what people thought was right yesterday, today, and eventually tomorrow.

People will people the 'facts' that they hear and consider it law without having explored it's scientific reasoning. For example, the old saying mothers enjoy telling their children to bundle up in the cold, because you'll catch a cold.

Nice try mothers, you can't catch a cold by being cold. I'm onto you women... All of you...
:iconkeydan:
Keydan Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
I liked the one where they say that adding Cl compounds t drinking water is a conspiracy to make you dumb... when in reality, anyone with base understanding of chemistry/civil engineering will say it's the best option in making tap water drinkable effectiveness/cost wise.
Sure, we can place ozonation plants every half a mile or in every house.... but prepare, your water will be cludy and at the price of mineral water.
:iconcelestialsheep:
CelestialSheep Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's just what Uncle Sam wants you to believe. You're already effected!
I recall that the treatment center back in Texas used to actually use organic means, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant by plants.
:iconkeydan:
Keydan Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
I meant machinery.
I thought so.
:iconthelightswentoutin99:
TheLightsWentOutIn99 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Writer
I wouldn't have trusted the neo-Freudian nonsense that passed for psychology in the 40s. Heck, the field is a mess today.

The vaccine scare is of more recent origin, unless we're talking about the aversion to Polio vaccines in rural India or sub-Saharan Africa.

As for fluoridated water, well--some things never die.
The field is only a mess today because nobody has hired a janitor to clean up and they don't wish to take responsibility.

I think the scare was more about how some children had died, and the 'mental hygiene' was apparently seen as anti-semite, something that really baffles me. Was a clean mind supposed to clean one of religious influence? While I could certainly connect some religious acts to mental unhealth, I certainly wouldn't force them to practice a clean mind.
:iconcrotale:
Crotale Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
McCarthyism took place in the 1950s, not the 1940s.

As much as the Red Scare was trumped up to do about the spreading of communism, today's issues being trumped up by many groups are very similar in scope and scale, to some degree. Take the "war on women" or the "war on religion." Both based on certain facts but neither to the scale being purported by those who would gain power and/or influence from pushing these notions.
:iconpaellamagi:
paellamagi Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
The mental health thing I have first hand experience with unfortunately. I'd kill for flouridated water too, my teeth suck despite good dental hygiene - I just can't afford a dentist, especially now. I'm in Australia so I'm lucky, but I pay $120 dollars for health insurance (because every other hospital cover doesn't do psychiatric care), my medications cost $20 a month because I am supported by student payments, but as soon as I graduate they will cost around $120 a month, and it'll take me god knows how long to find work. Assuming my condition makes it possible to hold down a job.
:iconmousebirds:
Mousebirds Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
No fluoridated water? I can't recall an issue with fluoridated water here in Melbourne. Which is lucky, considering my teeth also suck and I also can't afford a dentist.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Why isn't there any fluoridated water down there?
paellamagi Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
They introduced it here a few years ago apparently. It's because idiot hippies think that you'll die from flouride or something.
Even though other countries have been drinking it for years and there are known people who are immune to snake venom?
paellamagi Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Yep. The Gold Coast city council is voting on whether to remove flouride from the supply. Some woman was on the news report saying "It's a drug, and we shouldn't be forced to take it".
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
Coffee is a drug. Cigarettes are full of drugs. Drugs are full of drugs.

Should we remove those from supply as well?
:iconbetterbean:
betterbean Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional General Artist
are u on tank water?
Ah, interesting, it has been introduced into my region a few years ago, but that doesn't really fix the damage from the majority of my life.
That should be - assuming my condition doesn't make it impossible to hold down a job. :paranoid:
:iconklaxonlithology:
KlaxonLithology Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Political Cleansing. Or we could, you know, wait until the geezers die off.
Sure, but they're still wasting our money in the meantime.
Then round up all the old people and murder them.
How about we gather them over the glass bridge over the Grand Canyon and see how many live?
Sure thing.
Add a Comment: