Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 469

Abortion - should the father have a say?

:iconsunlark:
Sunlark Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
There are a lot of debates about the legalities surrounding abortion, but no one seems to take the father into consideration. If he is married, or even just living together, he will have to pay for the child, so should he be able to force the woman into abortion? What about if he wants the child? Should he be able to stop the mother from having an abortion? And then there is the issue of one night stands, divorces and break ups. Where do we then draw the line?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcodepurpleyedrawings:
CodePurpleyedrawings Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
The man can't tell her what to do with her body. It's her body. You can't really know his or her intentions for the baby, anyway.

Think of it this way. When she's pregnant the developing child is under her care, not the father's. It's her burden to carry. Since when do you decide if some one carries groceries/fetuses or not? Since when do you decide whether someone drops those groceries? You're not the one carrying those groceries. Sure, you helped put those groceries there, but the other half is hers and she's carrying it while you are not.
:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist
IMO, it depends on the relationship of the pregnant woman and the father of the child.

If they are married, the two of them must come to a conclusion together. A married life is all about managing choices to be able to live together after all. So yes, he has a say. :)

I'm not sure how to answer if there are instances where after a one night stand/divorce/break-up that the father of the child would want his child. For those cases, I would leave it to the woman's decision. After all, she and the father of the child probably do not have any deep meaningful relationship wherein the guy would be able to persuade her to keep it or get rid of it. :shrug:
:iconrhichter:
Rhichter Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
Certainly. He doesn't get the last word, however. That's almost entirely up to the mother for the sole fact she is the one investing such a colossal amount of energy into reproduction. Its an important thing to consider.

But its always the woman's choice.
:iconhungryartistsunited:
hungryartistsunited Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Pixel art-vertising: [link]
:iconkhomaa:
Khomaa Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In some states, a rapist can sue the mother for custody.
:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist
:o I'm trying to rack my brain for a reason as to why a rapist would want children.
:iconkhomaa:
Khomaa Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sometimes guys are fucking nuts and want to have kids with some women..their 'dream women' so they capture and rape them..or they have some other kind of fucked up mentality involving having sex and impregnating women against their will
:iconmechmate4066:
MechMate4066 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
This was already brought up a long time ago; women used to have to get consent from the fathers if they planned on having an abortion. However, the fifteenth (if I remember correctly) amendment made it so women did not have to do this, due to the reasoning that the woman has the right to her own body and her child.
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Men do have a say in abortion. If you decide to have sex with some woman without using adequate contraception, in my mind you have tacitly agreed to take responsibility for any ensuing pregnancies. Of course, contraception is not always efficacious, and for safety measures I feel that no man should have sex with a woman who does not support abortion or who is not his wife.

Naturally, no man should have the right to force a woman to have (or not to have) an abortion, even if it would be the best possible course of action (as it usually is, when one or both parents do not want the child). If the man has not taken proper safety precautions (i.e. using a condom, and ensuring the woman would be in favor of abortion), he should accept his foolishness and pay child support. Childbirth is apparently much more emotionally and physically draining on women, and since it them who must suffer it the most, the ultimate decision should fall to them. Compared to having to birth and raise a fatherless child, paying child support is a very gentle fate, indeed.
:iconferaltao:
FeralTao Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
Well in my opinion both parents have a very obvious choice. The mother has the choice to keep the baby or not and the father has the choice to not stick his penis into A. People without making sure himself that he is wearing a condom or B. A partner that isn't quite 100% clear on that she REALLY wants that baby. Partnerships are about honesty, respect and trust after all and if you chose someone who couldn't be upfront that they perhaps didn't really want a baby then you should work out those relationship issues before having a child anyway.
Add a Comment: