Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 157

Generational theft by the baby boomers

:iconbladed-truth:
Bladed-Truth Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I love my parents but goddamn I'm angry at their generation. The boomers were a generation that lived through unprecedented economic growth, a generation that was educated because education was viewed as a public investment, that prospered like no group ever has in the history of the World. But it wasn't enough, when it came time to continue the investment in the next generation not only did they refuse to foot the bill, they actually ran the credit card into the red and now expects to retire and have their children support them.

How so? Almost a third of the American debt (16 trillion) is actually owed to the Social Security Trust Fund and federal pension systems.

Basically, they saved all that money for retirement (like responsible people) then in the last couple of decades before they retired they cut taxes so hard that the country went into the red, ran their own pension fund dry to do it, then right when they're on the cusp of retiring they dump that debt onto their children's generation and expect full pensions and support.

And the generation they're dumping it on is their children's generation which has already had to bury itself in debt just to educate itself because the boomers also cut funding to education. And they lecture us about responsibility? At every turn they have shirked responsibility and kicked the can down the road. You think there's a controversy over global warming because people disagree with the science? Fuck no, it's because if they accepted it as true they'd actually have to take some goddamn responsibility for their actions and fix the mess they've created.

So, Generation Y, you are now going to have to carry your parents' generation's debt, your own debt that you incurred educating yourself, and somewhere you'll also have to find the money to raise your own goddamn children all the while dealing with a runaway greenhouse effect that could have been easily avoided if an entire generation hadn't been so goddamn self-absorbed and irresponsible.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsydnerella:
sydnerella Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013   Writer
Everyone is guilty of poor judgement at some point in their life, and hindsight is 20/20.

An entire generation cannot bear responsibility for all the problems you state. There are too many different people that you are painting with a very broad brush here.
:iconcybereaglewarrior:
CyberEagleWarrior Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Interface Designer
Yes, let's declare war on an entire generation of people. That's going to make everything a lot better. Let's use old people as an excuse for the source of our nation's woes.
:iconsquirrels-are-evil:
squirrels-are-evil Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
"Every rose has it's thorns"
:iconchocomalk:
chocomalk Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
You are using them as a scapegoat. Regardless of who they voted for, the gov has been running its own show for quite a while now. Blaming a singular generation for the crooks on the hill is naive. The entire system is based on debt and borrowing, what good can come from it?
:iconkittyliou:
KittyLiou Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Aaaah generations.
I don't know much about those things, but this made me think of a quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry:

"We do not inherit the world from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."
:iconbladed-truth:
Bladed-Truth Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
That's a good one, my other favourite is "A nation grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they known they shall never sit."
:iconevildoctorhobbit:
EvilDoctorHobbit Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
:iconthisplz:
:iconomicronwanderer:
OmicronWanderer Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Digital Artist
However you neglect to mention that a number of that debt was due to the issue of inflation.

it is because of inflation that the money put into the system over the baby boomer lifetime was unable to pay for their social security later on.

it is because of inflation that the government funnels current social security money paid now into current retiree's pensions.

this has little to do with cutting taxes. it is the improper handling and usage of funds as well as inflation that led to the situation now.

Note: I do disagree with cutting taxes but I do understand that it is a temporary measure of stimulating the economy. I do agree that they should not have cut funding for education and research (most notable in medical and space sectors)
However you neglect to mention that a number of that debt was due to the issue of inflation.

it is because of inflation that the money put into the system over the baby boomer lifetime was unable to pay for their social security later on.

it is because of inflation that the government funnels current social security money paid now into current retiree's pensions.

this has little to do with cutting taxes. it is the improper handling and usage of funds as well as inflation that led to the situation now.

Note: I do disagree with cutting taxes but I do understand that it is a temporary measure of stimulating the economy. I do agree that they should not have cut funding for education and research (most notable in medical and space sectors)

Add a Comment: