January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Al-Jazeera buys Al Gore's Current TV, now rebranded "Al-Jazeera America"

:iconhooded-wanderer:
hooded-wanderer Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
[link]

This would actually be interesting; now don't get me wrong I doubt Al-Jazeera bought Current TV for the fact that they both share similar viewpoints so much so as is it was the only way for Al-Jazeera to actually have a foothold in America.

The network is considered by many to be one of the most respected news organizations in the world as it has won many awards for it's news coverage. Ironically it doesn't even have much of a strong base in America due to the fact that many conservative Americans still hate the network and consider it a terrorist organiation; even though it's owned by the state of Qatar, one of America's closest allies in the Arab World.

Well with that said what are your thoughts?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconladysuzaku:
LadySuzaku Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I'm really happy to see this. Al-Jazeera is quite possibly the only news network I take seriously.

It's almost funny to see some of the comments on this whole matter on other sites. People claiming it's 'supporting terrorism' and is 'anti-American' and all that. i find myself responding to some of these people and asking if they've ever even WATCHED it while providing links to their English site and youtube page so they can actually judge for themselves. You know, a few of those people actually responded by claiming I'm 'moronic' and even calling me 'anti-American'. All because I point out the ignorance of their claims if they can't even be bothered to support them with actual facts and instead, resort to personal attacks! :rofl: One person even claimed to have a degree in political science, worked on political campaigns and did articles on Al-Jazeera that were published in major publications, yet they failed to specify which.

Meanwhile, I was able to list several of the many awards Al-Jazeera's won over the last few years and point out that it is regarded as one of the most reputable news stations in the world for it's hard-hitting investigative journalism and quality content. Their response, if any is forthcoming, should be interesting.

I actually find it pretty sad and pathetic, really. They make all these claims about a station they most likely have never watched, yet fail to even support what they claim with actual evidence, instead labeling people who have actually watched it and say it's nothing like they think as anti-American instead of showing that they actually know what they're talking about.

People would rather be comfortable and 'safe' in their ignorance rather than take the time to learn. :no:
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Fun fact: Al Gore sold Current so cheap because he was trying to offload it before these new taxes kick in.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Fun fact: he missed that deadline:rofl:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
LOL. I'm just wondering how he convinced service providers to pay for a channel nobody watches.
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I think because he was a VP and a P-candidate he has enough clout or mojo to curry favor.
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
What new taxes.
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
The government applied some new tax rates as part of the fiscal cliff deal.
:iconhooded-wanderer:
hooded-wanderer Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
Part of the half-assed fiscal cliff deal was that taxes would go up for those who make more then $400,000 dollars a year, I think Al Gore makes more then that XD
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Higher taxes, but not new taxes.
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
The missed sell date cost Gore like 8 million more in taxes.
Add a Comment: