Study Shows Abortion Not a Matter of Convenience After All?

[link] [link] [link]

A five-year study which followed the fates of 956 women who sought abortions and what happened to the women denied them versus the woman able to get them, recently gave some results so far based on two years of monitoring. Anti-abortion folks often say women who seek abortions are just doing so because they find pregnancy inconvenient and want to dodge responsibility. They also often say abortion is more likely to cause health and mental problems in the woman. What does the study say? Here's the highlights:
----------
"The women in the Turnaway Study were in comparable economic positions at the time they sought abortions. 45% were on public assistance and two-thirds had household incomes below the federal poverty level. One of the main reasons women cite for wanting to abort is money, and based on the outcomes for the turnaways, it seems they are right.

"Most of the women who were denied an abortion, 86%, were living with their babies a year later. Only 11% had put them up for adoption. Also a year later, they were far more likely to be on public assistance — 76% of the turnaways were on the dole, as opposed to 44% of those who got abortions. 67% percent of the turnaways were below the poverty line (vs. 56% of the women who got abortions), and only 48% had a full time job (vs. 58% of the women who got abortions).

"When a woman is denied the abortion she wants, she is statistically more likely to wind up unemployed, on public assistance, and below the poverty line. Another conclusion we could draw is that denying women abortions places more burden on the state because of these new mothers' increased reliance on public assistance programs."

"Unfortunately, when it comes to domestic violence, being denied an abortion makes a really big difference. Turnaways were more likely to stay in a relationship with an abusive partner than women who got abortions. A year after being denied an abortion, 7% reported an incident of domestic violence in the last six months. 3% of women who received abortions reported domestic violence in the same time period. Foster emphasized that this wasn't because the turnaways were more likely to get into abusive relationships. It was simply that getting abortions allowed women to get out of such relationships more easily. So it's likely that these numbers actually reflect a dropoff in domestic violence for women who get abortions, rather than a rise among turnaways."

"In other words, the Turnaway Study found no indication that there were lasting, harmful negative emotions associated with getting an abortion. The only emotional difference between the two groups at one year was that the turnaways were more stressed. They were more likely to say that they felt like they had more to do than they could get done."

"The Turnaway Study found no indication that abortion could be linked with increased mental health disorders. There were no statistical differences between turnaways and women who had abortions when it came to developing clinical depression.

"But turnaways did face a greater health risk from giving birth. Even late stage abortions are safer than giving birth. The researchers said at the APHA meeting:

"We find physical health complications are more common and severe following birth (38% experience limited activity, average 10 days) compared to abortion (24% limited activity, average 2.7 days). There were no severe complications after abortion; after birth complications included seizure, fractured pelvis, infection and hemorrhage. We find no differences in chronic health conditions at 1 week or one year after seeking abortion."
Comments399
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Nice work! A well written topic, unlike the usual shit we get about abortion here. :icontrophyplz:
I love me some facts and scientific studies.
I don't know about that. They examine two non-randomly chosen group of people and make extrapolations from that. (After all, there's going to be a reason the women denied the abortion were in fact denied it.)

The conclusions would be a very useful point if valid, but the shitty methodology means the conclusions can't be trusted.
I'm all for better formatted abortion discussions and this one is in that direction.
Would you be of the same mind if the conclusions disagreed with your political beliefs?
Yes, if those conclusions were not religiously influenced or owned by the Koch Brothers or came from Pelosi's shattered mind and contained real information I'm okay with that.

Part of being in business includes changing the gameplan to survive. That can be applied to personal life too.
This information was created/compiled by people who explicitly support these policies. You've stated you wouldn't accept data which could have been corrupted by motivated reasoning; well, this data exists in exactly the state, in the opposing ideology, as the data you said you wouldn't accept.
Is this information not a rebuttal to the "other side" of the discussion?
View all replies
Once again reality reveals its liberal bias.
If you're not ready to have children, you should not be having sex. It's as easy as that.
That's a stance that is good in theory, but impossible in practice.
Not really, for some people who don't try I guess. But I do know people who aren't going to have sex until they know it's the right guy and they know all about kids. You can never be fully prepared to have kids because it's so crazy, but you should at least realize that fucking=kids. And keep that in mind... just saying
It's a good idea on a personal level, and even though humans are a species that has sex for pleasure it's still an ideal to go for since having kids when you're super young and poor is a bad idea, but... unfortunately it doesn't work out practically on a wide enough scale. :(
And also don't have sex with someone you don't want to father your child.
No, that is a stupid stance for dolts.
It's a logical stance some people take.
If we were robots without biological urges then yes it would be that easy. I don't know about you, but I am human, and as a human I love sex because it's fun. Having children; not as much fun.
And both humans and dolphins are the only two animals on the planet who have sex for both procreation and fun.
But if that's your belief why should the government try and enforce it?
Never said the government should try and enforce anything.
Then it's useless for you to bring up that you don't like it, it's non-constructive to the whole discussion.