Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 133

Let’s Give Up on the Constitution?

:iconroninbearz:
roninbearz Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Photographer
Louis Michael Seidman, a professor of constitutional law at Georgetown University, is the author of the forthcoming book “On Constitutional Disobedience.” He suggests we 'Give up on the Constitution."

Is it the best idea since baseball, apple pie & the pursuit of Life, Liberty, & Freedom... or the most egregiously dumb-ass position for a professor of constitutional law to take? Perhaps he prefers a Monarchy, or even Fascism?

[link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontrorbes:
Trorbes Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
Let's keep in mind, back when the US constitution was written, our current president would not only have been ineligable to run, but would have been considered property by a number of states.

I think it could use an upgrade about now.
:iconmiletich2:
miletich2 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
May I proudly announce that the constitution is officially null and void. :sarcasticclap:
:iconculturalrider:
Culturalrider Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Let's face it. The constitution has been violated to the point where its not really viable anymore.

"Freedom of speech." Yet you are not allowed to use a loudspeaker to blare music or political propaganda into a neighbor's home 24/7.

"Right to keep and bear arms" Yet there are many weapons that we are not allowed to have.

"Protection from unreasonable search and seizure." There is admitted widespread surveillance of most citizens.

"nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation" Confiscation of illegal goods.

"nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" Guantanamo Bay.

These are just a few examples.

I think what matters is that we think about whether we want to live in a world where we follow the constitution exactly. If so, are we willing to live in a world where there is unlimited, unrestricted speech? Should human sacrifice be allowed under freedom of religion?

If we don't, we need to be honest about how we're comfortable with making exceptions to the rules and start a national discussion about what we really want in our society.
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
Absolutely one of the silliest ideas I've heard yet, which is unfortunately being taken seriously. Personally, if he hates what makes America America so much, then he should just leave. He's happy, we're happy. Problem solved.
:iconxtinyheartx:
xtinyheartx Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Many people have been thinking to just ignore the constitution, a important document that basically made america what it is. If America gives up on it I'm not going to be in America anymore.
:iconbroadwayext:
broadwayext Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
The constitution isn't a sacred document. You amend that fucker. It serves the people, not the other way around.

:icontbschemer:
TBSchemer Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
We need a Jeffersonian restart.
:iconavskyggene:
AvSkyggene Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Holy shit, you're back?

I might actually start browsing the forums here again. I need some laughs.
:iconmclandis:
Mclandis Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Head over to Schemer's wingnut-fest.
:iconavskyggene:
AvSkyggene Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
He blocked me.

The pansy.
Add a Comment: