Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 133

Letís Give Up on the Constitution?

:iconroninbearz:
roninbearz Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Photographer
Louis Michael Seidman, a professor of constitutional law at Georgetown University, is the author of the forthcoming book ďOn Constitutional Disobedience.Ē He suggests we 'Give up on the Constitution."

Is it the best idea since baseball, apple pie & the pursuit of Life, Liberty, & Freedom... or the most egregiously dumb-ass position for a professor of constitutional law to take? Perhaps he prefers a Monarchy, or even Fascism?

[link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontrorbes:
Trorbes Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
Let's keep in mind, back when the US constitution was written, our current president would not only have been ineligable to run, but would have been considered property by a number of states.

I think it could use an upgrade about now.
:iconmiletich2:
miletich2 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
May I proudly announce that the constitution is officially null and void. :sarcasticclap:
:iconculturalrider:
Culturalrider Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Let's face it. The constitution has been violated to the point where its not really viable anymore.

"Freedom of speech." Yet you are not allowed to use a loudspeaker to blare music or political propaganda into a neighbor's home 24/7.

"Right to keep and bear arms" Yet there are many weapons that we are not allowed to have.

"Protection from unreasonable search and seizure." There is admitted widespread surveillance of most citizens.

"nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation" Confiscation of illegal goods.

"nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" Guantanamo Bay.

These are just a few examples.

I think what matters is that we think about whether we want to live in a world where we follow the constitution exactly. If so, are we willing to live in a world where there is unlimited, unrestricted speech? Should human sacrifice be allowed under freedom of religion?

If we don't, we need to be honest about how we're comfortable with making exceptions to the rules and start a national discussion about what we really want in our society.
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
Absolutely one of the silliest ideas I've heard yet, which is unfortunately being taken seriously. Personally, if he hates what makes America America so much, then he should just leave. He's happy, we're happy. Problem solved.
:iconxtinyheartx:
xtinyheartx Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Many people have been thinking to just ignore the constitution, a important document that basically made america what it is. If America gives up on it I'm not going to be in America anymore.
:iconbroadwayext:
broadwayext Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
The constitution isn't a sacred document. You amend that fucker. It serves the people, not the other way around.

:icontbschemer:
TBSchemer Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
We need a Jeffersonian restart.
:iconavskyggene:
AvSkyggene Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Holy shit, you're back?

I might actually start browsing the forums here again. I need some laughs.
:iconmclandis:
Mclandis Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Head over to Schemer's wingnut-fest.
:iconavskyggene:
AvSkyggene Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
He blocked me.

The pansy.
:iconmclandis:
Mclandis Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Sounds like he joined the Butthurt Brigade.
:iconwquon:
wquon Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
look up the American dream film, it doesnt explain everything but its a start. plus its funny & only 30 min long
:icondragonquestwes:
DragonQuestWes Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Scrap the constitution altogether and make a new one akin to that of Hugo Chavez's constitution.

It certainly worked in Venezuela.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You are kidding me. Really? Not even in your dreams :rofl:
DragonQuestWes Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Are you still pulling straws out of men?
Yanking, actually.

Anyway, I insist that you move to Venezuela, since you claim to admire it so much.
Okay, you said "move to North Korea" then you said "move to Venezuela."

Make up your fucking mind. Which one is it?
The latter, why not?
Maybe you should tell everybody about how much you hate black people too.
I don't. You are lying, and I really hate liars.
(1 Reply)
:icongloomypandabear:
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
We don't necessarily need to give up on the constitution, but rather tweak it a little. Time goes on and things change and people abuse the rights the Constitution has provided us. Like the right to bare arms was originally for protection and now many have died because of the people who abuse that right. It's like what ~qwertywithak It's like the bible just misrepresented. The Constitution is not something that tells you how to live each day, it's just saying what rights we have.
:iconsanjouin-dacapo:
sanjouin-dacapo Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Digital Artist
How about instead of taking the right to bear arms away from the sane people, why not just make sure that douchebags like the ones that massacred all those people don't get to buy guns? Or maybe stop giving so much attention to those that do these shootings? They're doing it for attention. We should stop referring to the gunmen by name, and stop even mentioning their genders. Just something like "gunman #(insert random number here) has shot(insert number) people and killed (insert number) before attempting suicide by shooting itself in the head." No name, no gender, no photos or anything. We're turning these murderers into celebrities! I mean, you know how many idiots are fans of that sicko that murdered Sharon Tate? It should have been exterminated for what it did.
:icongloomypandabear:
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
True, that is really what they want. And frankly they don't deserve to be publicized for their actions.
:iconomicronwanderer:
OmicronWanderer Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Digital Artist
It depends.

are we throwing it out to rewrite it based on modern day concerns with very specific stipulations or are we delving into the mess that is anarchy.
:iconqwertywithak:
qwertywithak Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
How can you argue with the basic tenants, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? It's a great document, it was founded on by those ideas. However the U.S. government likes to amend things, and pick and choose. The constitution has become like the bible, so misrepresented.
:icontrorbes:
Trorbes Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
The constitution started being amended almost as soon as the ink dried, and more people know what the Bill of Rights amendments say than what the actual constitution contains. The founders were not perfect beings, and we really need to stop taking their ideas as sacrosanct.

P.S. The constitution mentions none of those 'tenants', and their definition of "all men" was appallingly limited.
:iconqwertywithak:
qwertywithak Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
No one's saying the founding fathers were perfect.
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well said.
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Pro-tip: a constitution isn't a sacred document. If it's shit-house, you amend that fucker. It serves the people, not the other way around.
It has been amended several times over the country's history. In my opinion, amending it this year would be a great idea. The real question is: What will be added to it?
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Exactly. The founding fathers explicitly said so too: [link]
:iconamurderofcrowws:
amurderofcrowws Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
I'd suggest writing a new one. Could be the best thing to happen to America, you never know! :D But people are terrified by and abhor change, unfortunately.
:iconshidaku:
Shidaku Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
A Constitution by no means guaratees anything. It is a document, and if the people in power choose to violate it, and their military supports them, everyone else is screwed.

A Constitutional Scholar need not support it any more than an Economist needs to support capitalism. Being well-learned on any subject simply means you are well learned on it, it does not mean your opinion after learning about it, favors it.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I do think the Constitution could use a re-write.
:icondarkzero779:
darkzero779 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
im all dead inside somewhere....And I dont want to give up....But thanks to my generations ignorance ...i cant do a thing....even if i did...if i did any good it would be pointed out as evil...such an appalling thing to uphold in their minds..
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
The Constitution is in need of changing, mostly to remove loopholes that allow opportunistic politicians to sneak things in, but with today's current thinking, any changes will only be for the worse, not the better.
:iconagburanar:
Agburanar Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I don't know that the constitution is as special as we make it seem. But there are some good ideas. Some fine proscriptions against the excesses and abuses that have haunted societies through recorded history.

But constitutional law desperately needs clarification and strengthening, so that it will be forever outside the ability of our bought-and-paid for Supreme Court to pervert it. Moreover, it needs teeth - so that when officials such as those in both the Bush and Obama Administrations flout it, they will face swift removal from office, legal consequences, and public disgrace.
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Required reading: [link]
While I don't agree that the Constitution should be thrown out entirely, I do think that Professor Seidman's points are extremely well made and that this 'antiquated document' as *Abstract-Mindser put it, can and should be (massively) updated.
:icongator1949:
gator1949 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
the constitiution is practicly the soul of america. if we give that up, we give up america.
:iconsexy-cowboy-predator:
Sexy-Cowboy-Predator Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Thisis the most egregiously dumb ass position for anyone to take.
:iconkrylanna:
Krylanna Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Thanks for linking to a members-only article. :grump:

Can't really comment on it, other than that America isn't the only "democracy" in the world, and ditching our Constitution as written doesn't necessarily mean embracing fascism or other undesirable forms of government. Also given that he's a professor at an East Coast university, and given no bias for or against political conservatism by virtue of it being a Jesuit school, chances are excellent he's a liberal. =p
:iconjeysie:
Jeysie Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I think the Constitution is fine, in a general sense. We just need to accept that it was written in a different era, and worry more about translating the spirit of it to the modern world than sticking to the letter that obviously couldn't fortune tell.
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I can't view the link as it's demanding I log in, so my opinion here is limited. It really depends on the context he meant whether this is a great idea or an abhorrent one. Throwing out the constitution would mean throwing out the current government structure, as the 3 branches of American government were created by it. It's not bad in the context of setting up an innovative new government structure that better addresses the sources of modern corruption, economics, and information but utterly idiotic in the context of pursuing anarchy. Either way I feel it's an unrealistic goal in itself though.
:iconstaple-salad:
staple-salad Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I think the constitution is fine. We just need to actually stick to it...
:iconno-doves-fly-here:
no-doves-fly-here Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I would support tossing out the old constitution in favor of a modern one based around human nature and natural law...
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
You could always just change your silly little constitution to make it fit for purpose in this modern age!
You could always stupid acting rude and condescending towards others.
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
lol
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It was a legitimate suggestion, but I guess you're too dumb to take it seriously.
I meant to say "STOP". Typo or slip of the fingers?
Add a Comment: