Details

Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 127

Russians lose their favorite food BEER!

:iconvomitbear:
Is this an example of 'big government' over-regulating the business sector or it an attempt to increase public safety?

"The limits are part of a government effort to reduce alcohol abuse in Russian, where one in five male deaths are linked to booze, according to world health experts," reports NBC News. More specifically, "The average Russian drinks the equivalent of 32 pints of pure alcohol per year and about 500,000 deaths annually are thought to be drink-related.

That includes a large number of about 30,000 annual road accident deaths and of several thousand cases of drowning," reports The Telegraph. According to NBC, beer won't be available at "street kiosks, gas stations and bus depots like it has been" at least not between the hours of 11 p.m. and 8 a.m.

The law also changes beer's classification from a food to an alcoholic beverage, meaning it can't be sold in any store from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m.

If the cigarette sales ban comes into effect on top of the beer sales prohibition, about 175,000 kiosks across the country could be forced to close, at the cost of some 500,000 jobs, the Ministry for Economic Development estimates, according to Interfax.

Who the hell needs beer at a bus station?!

Here we thought the food lobby buying Congressional members and making them support tomato paste as a veggie was outlandish. BEER was a food until last night in Russia!

I'd like their food pyramid!:P

Could you imagine the right wing hysteria if President Obama tried to implement policies that might directly put potentially 500,000 people out of work in the name of public safety?

The Russian measure doesn't even address the problem of alcohol abuse, it just makes booze slightly more difficult to obtain.

Links:
[link]
[link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstormofshadows:
Stormofshadows Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Sounds no different than current alcohol laws where I live(Texas/Arkansas). In fact, ours are even stricter as in Arkansas(some counties at least) you can't buy alcohol on Sundays, not to mention the fact that I live in a dry county(meaning alcohol can only be sold in restaurants with strict regulations). The loss of jobs does sound bad though, is the job market as bad in Russia as in the US?
Probably worse Russian job market than the US.

Yeah I know all about the dry zones, I only hit the beach in NJ in dry areas. Limits the amount of trailer trash on the beach.
:iconsheepy94:
Sheepy94 Jan 16, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
As long as it doesn't affect vodka, I'm sure they won't notice.
Vodka = civil war:P
:iconsheepy94:
Sheepy94 Jan 18, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
They're very serious when it comes to vodka, you know.
I hear that sometimes
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Feckin liberals
:iconpuddelbal:
Protecting the public. What in the world are those pinkos thinking?
I don't think Russia has liberals in Putin's house
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Jan 16, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I'm ok with putin.
Add a Comment: