Evil is Good?

All throughout history, there has been evil and without this evil, today would not have been possible.

A recent incident that has taken place in India is the gangrape of a woman which was over emphasized by the media. This type of incident was nothing particularly new but this specific one triggered a national outburst that led to the laws being passed that protects women

Is it wrong to be thankful for all the evil that has happened to shape the world?
Comments68
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
good and evil play both a part in progress.
No such thing as good and evil, just manmade preconceptions and points of view.
You wouldnt need that movement in the first place if that evil did not exist at all. You are thankful for the reation to it, not the act itself. No im not thankful for any genocide, war crime or tragady. If you are, then you are one fucked up person.
I'm not thankful for evil, but I do think that if there wasn't evil in the world then we wouldn't have any standard to know what "good" is.
They mention that poor woman but no-one knows her real name. But they also won't mention that another Indian lady was gang raped and told by the police that she has to marry one of her rapists. How come that is not in the news?
How did you hear about it? Was it in the news?
Yes, in the news. But there are many cases like this in India. A religious cleric even said that if she had been 'nice' to her attackers she might have lived. Says it all really about societies like that :-(
Wherever evil strikes, good steps in to stop it. And wherever good thrives, evil lurks. They can't mix together but can't exist without each other.
I prefer doing things right the first time, by anticipating and accounting for likely problems.

The problem is that everyone just ignores you and does none of your recommendations until the problem actually happens, by which time it's too late to do anything but say "I told you so" and prevent the next time... which is small consolation to the person whose purpose in life was to serve as an example to others.
That's exactly right.
There are no evil people, only evil acts committed by disturbed people.

What is considered "evil" is not a black-and-white issue either. Actions must always be placed in the cultural context of their time.

Also, just because your intents are good doesn't mean your acts can't still be evil.

That's pretty much all I have to say on the subject.
I think this should be in Philosophy & Religion.
No, this is highly political. I guess it's political philosophy. We're not talking about evil, we're talking about history.
History of what?
of humanity, security and rights
Yep. Your comment was pretty much :iconallthethingplz:

What kind of reply did you expect to receive?
View all replies
No. It shakes people out of apathy, but apathy is also wrong. Two wrongs are therefore making a right, but the one wrong only exists because the other wrong allowed it to.

It's all a big cluster-fuck of wrong that miraculously shits out a right, but that right should have been there from the start.
Well it was illegal then too, it's just now that it happened in plain daylight in a big city it really smacks you in the face. Like if some girl got raped out in the mountains and Kentucky we'd be like "that's tragic." If a girl got raped in New York City on the bus on the way to home during the day you'd say "Where is the world coming to?!"

The truly sad thing is we have to re-enforce these things. Laws are a reaction.
Well, one can't have good without evil, and vice versa.
You had me thinking of Dungeon Keeper :aww:
Best game ever.

Well, no, Dwarf Fortress is better. But Dwarf Fortress wouldn't exist without Dungeon Keeper.