Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 116

Sensible solution to guns and schools

:iconnovuso:
Novuso Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
This is what I have been pushing for the last two weeks and it is finally happening:

Arizona attorney general proposes arming 1 educator per school
[link]

PHOENIX (AP) — Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne proposed a plan Wednesday to allow one educator in each school to carry a gun after receiving free firearms training from law enforcement...

The next best thing, he said, is to arm an educator, comparing that proposal to allowing pilots to carry guns after the 9/11 terror attacks.

This is the sensible solution I have been saying all along. All it would have taken is one person to shoot back at the murderer and a dozen lives could have been saved. It is not hypothetical either. This is exactly what happened on October 1st 1997 in Pearl Mississippi. Nobody remembers the Pearl Mississippi shooting because the killer was stopped by an armed educator no less. [link]

The story of "A Principal and his Gun" is a true American tale of bravery and heroism.

Vice Principal Joel Myrick held his Colt .45 point blank to the high school boy's head. Last week, he told me what it was like. "I said 'why are you shooting my kids?' He said it was because nobody liked him and everything seemed hopeless," Myrick said. "Then I asked him his name. He said 'you know me, Mr. Myrick. Remember? I gave you a discount on your pizza delivery last week."

The shooter was Luke Woodham. On that day in 1997, Woodham slit his mother's throat then grabbed a .30-30 lever action deer rifle. He packed the pockets of his trench coat with ammo and headed off to Pearl High School, in Pearl, Miss.

The moment Myrick heard shots, he ran to his truck. He unlocked the door, removed his gun from its case, removed a round of bullets from another case, loaded the gun and went looking for the killer. "I've always kept a gun in the truck just in case something like this ever happened," said Myrick, who has since become Principal of Corinth High School, Corinth, Miss.

Woodham knew cops would arrive before too long, so he was all business, no play. No talk of Jesus, just shooting and reloading, shooting and reloading. He shot until he heard sirens, and then ran to his car. His plan, authorities subsequently learned, was to drive to nearby Pearl Junior High School and shoot more kids before police could show up.

But Myrick foiled that plan. He saw the killer fleeing the campus and positioned himself to point a gun at the windshield. Woodham, seeing the gun pointed at his head, crashed the car. Myrick approached the killer and confronted him. "Here was this monster killing kids in my school, and the minute I put a gun to his head he was a kid again," Myrick said.

-----

No wonder liberals don't like this story. People are wising up and learning the real truth. If you want to save lives, the answer is simple. Stop keeping guns from the hands of would-be heroes-the only people who obey gun laws. Joel Myrick had a gun, legally in his truck. Myrick and his gun saved lives. This is lesson Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne has certainly listened to.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
American gun culture is fucking ridiculous. I've never SEEN a gun in person.

Friendly fire isn't so friendly.
Novuso Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I shot my 'first' gun when I was 9 years old while in the boy scouts. Gun Culture is in my blood. You sound so intolerant and closed minded. Perhaps you should visit a firing range someday and see what that culture is really about instead of basing your opinions on ignorance.
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I know plenty about guns without having seen them. We own several. We simply don't keep them in the house. Maybe you should just as equally consider looking on the other side, because America is a huge joke with the amount of guns and gun violence running rampant down there.
:iconmunkiic:
MunkiiC Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student Digital Artist
are these teachers going to better trained than the guards at fort hoot and the soldiers who were killed there? they had a guns i think..
:iconmunkiic:
MunkiiC Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student Digital Artist
edit...Fort hood. (need coffee)
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Do you really want to put guns into the hands of teachers who can barely control their students? That's creating a situation where a kid can be shot for no reason.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
I don't really have a problem with weapons. I have a problem with weapons in the hands of people who shouldn't have them, because they (the person) is dangerous. But I'm pretty sure most people feel that way.

The only real issue I have with guns at ALL is 'swift immediate justice' when it isn't needed. That is, shooting someone you THINK is a threat who actually isn't. People don't always act rationally. Yeah, it's one thing to shoot the guy with gun who is killing kids at your school, totally a different story to shoot some kid walking down the street because you 'felt threatened'.

That's the whole reason we have the justice system, to avoid killing or punishing (more) innocent people.

But I'm sure when you look at it as a total, the number of people who are wrongly shot and KILLED is probably pretty low.

Paranoid people don't need guns. They need....I dunno. Phasers that never go above 'stun'. Yeah.

I'm down with having an armed security guard at a school. I mean, hell, there's always an officer hanging out at my daughters elementary school. And most of the high schools around here have either armed security or police that are paid to be there.

I don't think teachers need loaded weapons in their desk, but I'm fine with SOMEONE armed. I'm fine with teachers keeping non-lethal weapons or SOME of them having working firearms.

I don't think all of them should have firearms, but really that's more of a self control and control of the class thing, I know some kids that would make me want to shoot them in the face sometimes.

At my high school, half the kids had hunting rifles in their trucks all the time. I didn't worry about them OR the safety of the school (though of course someone would have had to sneak out into the parking lot to get them if there was an emergency).
Novuso Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
"I don't really have a problem with weapons. I have a problem with weapons in the hands of people who shouldn't have them, because they (the person) is dangerous. But I'm pretty sure most people feel that way."

That is what background checks are for. As long as the handlers are properly vetted through the concealed carry permit process there should not be problems.
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Well there are some problems with that type of solution. These are a few examples of school shootings carried out by people in a position of authority: [link] [link] [link] [link] [link]

More guns = more violence, not less IMHO.
Novuso Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
The point is someone should have the means to defend themselves. No single entity should have a monopoly on the power of safety. If an authority figure starts killing people the answer is to shoot back and defend yourself. The plan of arming teachers is still the most sensible and reasonable solution in every one of those situations you linked.
Add a Comment: