December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 197

The real benefit of guns in America.

:iconmacklinin:
Macklinin Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
First some background.

I'm from Australia, where semi-automatic firearms have been banned for sixteen years, and coincidentally there hasn't been a mass murder for the same period.

Now the substance.

A friend of mine recently told me that the best thing about having so many guns in America is that it reduces the number of Americans by about thirty thousand each year.

Okay, so it wasn't a very politically correct or sensitive thing to say, but perhaps a few rednecks need to learn what the rest of the world is thinking (if they care).

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongator1949:
gator1949 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
just regulate magazine sizes that are open to the public. 10 round mag is big enough, hell, it might be too big. but if your going to buy 30, 50, 100 round mags for your gun, thats just idiotic.if you get those mags, your either gonna kill people, or your a terrible shot when target shooting.
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
You do know that thirty round mags are the standard size of just about every military out there, yes?
:icongator1949:
gator1949 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
yeah, but im saying not allow the public to own 30 round mags.
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Hey guys, what do SF and gun political debates have in common?

They rely on pure speculation.
:iconthegman0:
theGman0 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist
^
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think the USA is too far gone to ever turn back :-(
:icondisappearing-inkwell:
Disappearing-Inkwell Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
the second amendment to the United States Bill of Rights exists (right to bear arms), but if it were entirely up to the government, that would be the first right they would take away, because in their eyes, taking away guns means the crime rate will go down, when in reality, criminals would not follow a law banning guns.. because, their criminals. and if anything,crime rate will skyrocket.

i don't know about Australia's ban on certain guns, or if it has anything to do with the lack of mass murders, but, i can almost guarantee that in general, crime-rates have increased.

logically, if every family in both America and Australia owned at least one gun, both of their crime rates would go down.

obviously, criminals don't follow laws...
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I really can't believe people use the 'criminals don't follow laws' excuse seriously :roll:Guess what? Only criminals murder as well. May as well make that legal!

In 1980's, there was years that we had multiple mass shootings in a single year. fast forward to 2000's, and you have none. nada. zilch. The only thing that had changed was gun laws.

Which would you rather? A few people being robbed, or large groups of people killed? I sure as hell know which situation is more favourable.
:icondregs-of-humanity:
dregs-of-humanity Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Australia has more guns now than at any point in history, certain types of weapons have been made harder to get but guns have never been common in Australia except in rural areas where people have a decent reason to own guns (defense of property by murdering someone is not considered an acceptable reason in most civilised nations).

Crime has risen in Australia but homicide has dropped, most of the crime in Australia is directly related to alcohol and drug addiction, something guns will not solve in anyway. Domestic violence is a big problem in Australia, adding guns to the mix is just going to turn wife-bashers into wife-shooters.

There is absolutely nothing logical about your last statement, criminals in Australia rarely have guns because its incredibly hard to smuggle guns onto the island and before the '96 gun laws were introduced we already had a comprehensive gun registration and licensing system.
Add a Comment: