would a soviet work in any country?

For those who do not know, a soviet is a collection of workers, soldiers and other working class men and women who make political decisions. They are not elected, everybody gets a say and everybody votes on the conclusion. When they first started in russia, they were immensely popular, with soviets being set up for train rides and such.

My question is, would these work for other contries? could we have a soviet for a plane ride just incase anything happens? Could you have a soviet for the workers of each supermarket insted of having a boss?
Comments40
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I`m not sure exactly what you are referring to, communism? You should check in on anarcho-syndicalism, read up on marx, the zapata, the spanish revolution, kropotkin, and emma goldman(etc!). All the authors also have articles they`ve written on how a "soviet" works in real life. In short, yes, its possible, it has happened before.
soviets were set up in russia before lenin took over after the october revolution, so the idea of a soviet is pre-communist. Infact most people in the petrograd soviet, which helped to run russia, were kadets.
ah, i just wanted to clarify what you meant by your question! and you`re right about that.
My initial thoughts regarding workers' cooperatives beyond mere fancy would require ...

1. The overall vision of the society in question is optimistic, open to experiments and questioning the previously respected top-down approach to both public and private issues

2. The previously infallible elites have discredited themselves to such an extent that the commoners no longer need to worry about the potential consequences of offending the elites

3. Minimal top-to-down political-economic 'loading the dice'

4. One's own measure of self-worth and self-esteem and respect-from-others are no longer heavily dependent on one's own financial statements (have we observed the fact that these sort of thingies are prone to dis-information over and over?!?)

5. One's own measure of self-worth and self-esteem and respect-from-others are no longer heavily dependent on past credentials (Alfred Wegener vs. mainstream geologist during the early 20th century over the 'tectonic plates'; Ancel Keys & the mainstream medical authority since the late 1970's vs, Robert Atkins & Mary Enig & others over the dangers of saturated fats)
Yeah sure, why not. If enough people on the deviantart forum says so it must be possible.
Well that is glorious in theory, until someone steps in and take control and rule with an Iron fist like the Mob or a dictator.
North Koreans worked in other countries during the 50s. A soviet/communist would work anywhere if they can send the money home.
you do know that workers in a western contry could just set up a soviet themsevles? I hope were talking about the same thing dude.
In a very SMALL country, it would work.

Just like most systems, they work GREAT if you have a few hundred or maybe even thousand people. Once you start to get big and spread out it falls apart.
You almost described a Union. I don't know if they would work in America though.
We're not big on anything that involves a group.
I think people need to realize that CEOs and mega corporations are not necessary for business to function.
Or politians, religious groups, etc.
Sadly, the name "soviet" would put off an American.
View all replies
No you arnt are you. Thats working out well isnt it?
ANd how do you know?
The news. Its like looking out of the window of my house and seeing a homeless man dancing around a car thats on fire and two men inside arguing about what to do next.
View all replies
Economically, worker cooperatives (which incorporate such worker's councils) and federations of worker-coops can be very effective. Consider Mondragon Corporation. Worker Cooperatives are actually quite common, especially in Europe.
More traditional soviets can be found scattered throughout South America - I recently read about a group of workers who took control of a factory when the owner announced that it was closing, and have been managing it through a soviet over the past year or so.

Political soviets/communes exist, though I don't hear about them quite as often. Historically, they tended to be shut down by outside forces.
Since the concept of soviets was based around small collectives, that's probably the only way it would work. You would need to tack on a selected representative system if you wanted to apply it to larger corporate or nation bodies.
I'm a bit confused. You say soviet train rides and plane rides. Do you mean Airline and railroad companies operating like a soviet?
no the workers on the train would vote on what would happen on that train-ride rather then following a leaders decsion