Closed to new replies
December 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 55

Guns and American culture

:icontoshadaydreamer:
ToshaDaydreamer Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
This is not another thread about whether or not the USA should implement gun control or not - there are already plenty of those.

As an outsider however, I do often wonder how guns became such a big deal to have in the USA. It seems to be so ingrained in the "wants and needs" of the average american (at least, that is how I've come to see it) that some (most?) Americans can't even imagine living without a gun.

It baffles me to be honest. In my own culture, guns are not common. They are not being held in high esteem. There are strict laws about who gets to own a gun and how those guns should be kept. It is not normal to carry a gun everywhere you go.

So to be honest, I simply do not understand the "pro gun" movement in the USA. Their arguments feel contradictory to me. I guess it has more to do with cultural influences and upbringing than pure cold logic, since you could have logical arguments for both sides without ever coming to an agreement. Which brings me to the question: why does it seem that americans have this (to me unhealthy) attachments to their guns? Is it cultural? And if so, why?

And how about people in other countries? What are your cultural views toward gun ownership and control?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconslolv:
Slolv Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As far as I understand: It really depends on which culture you've grown up with. If you've grown up in a culture with weapons, it's common sence to have it in every days household, and visa versa.
if so, would it ever be possible for the pro- and anti gun people in the USA to come to an agreement?
:iconslolv:
Slolv Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
In my opinion, it kind of depends on what the terms are going to be. But in all fairness, I don't think the system are going to change much.
No, I don't think so either. It is so ingrained in american culture, that it will take a long time to break away from.
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
Not one they're both completely happy with.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I think it's just the fact that US culture is shot through with a deeply ingrained outrageous paranoia, expertly demonstrated for us by our own little ~sonrouge
*chuckles* I try to understand it... but I just can't.
Likewise, I find it strange that a country who's population has never suffered any kind of invasion is so paranoid about just that. And they also enjoy one of the fairest and non-abusive/oppressive governments in the world, yet are more paranoid that just about any other population about their government oppressing them. =p
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Up yours.
I'm sorry, I don't swing that way.
Add a Comment: