Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 163

The Death Penalty?

:iconimmer-frei:
Immer-Frei Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Should the death penalty still be enforced?

In my honest opinion, no. $137 million per year is spent on the execution of prisoners. [link]
I think there is a far better solution. Plus, a punishment that is worse than death itself. Solitary confinement for life without parole. No social interaction, regular meals, and simply waiting in a 6 by 6 cell to contemplate. That solidarity alone is enough to truly change someone, and bring them to reflect upon their actions instead of simply facing a expensive and unnecessary execution.

This is only my view... What do you think?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnickkartha:
NickKartha Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Due to reasons of population control, I ,as a person who looks at the world from the perspective of an administrator, sincerely thinks that it's a great idea but $137m/year is too hefty a price. We're an industrialized civilization, if we can teach children in an information factory called school, we sure can put criminals in a slaughterhouse.

Hitler was a dude that had a good idea in the field of genocide. Gas Chambers, ingenious!! To bad he was a biased, racist, irrational moron that had only the ability to be as well breed haters through his speeches.

But as a humanist, I believe that human life can be preserved and that all people, with sufficient intervention, can be made a better person. We're already making motion films that work as propoganda for people to be better and more caring.
:iconastralchrist:
AstralChrist Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The United States has the biggest prison in the world. One third of our population is in fucking prison. And it costs more than a thousand dollars to keep somebody in prison for a year. The people in jail probably want to die anyway, and keeping them locked up isn't supposed to serve as revenge, but for justice. Barely anybody who was innocent has even been on death row. That is why I believe the death penalty should forevermore continue to be enforced.
:icontehbigd:
tehbigd Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
It has a few things against it:
1: It costs more than life imprisonment.
2: It does not actually deter crime.
3: Innocent people have been sentenced and put to death.
4: It is unfairly applied.
:iconsalvadorsam:
salvadorsam Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think nobody no matter what the crime should be put to death, just think about the emotions- knowing that you will be killed and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. But, I do think there are some criminals who would rather be put to death than rot away in a prison. So then if they want to be killed they have the choice.
I think that the argument should be more of the moral side than the economic side.
:iconqueencold:
QueenCold Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You can't have the death penalty with the American legal system as it is. There's too much corruption, and juries, often with no legal education or experience, are asked what to do with other people's lives.
What can be done is keep capital punishment in place, but not execute anyone until the system's been fixed. People who are still found guilty of heinous crimes can always be brought to death after that.
Personally I think nobody has the right to decide whether someone else lives or not, and that's coming from someone who's been molested as a child for years.
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's the repeated appeals that jack up the costs of execution, at least in California, hardly anyone gets executed (yet many are on death row) because they keep appealing their case. I heard in Texas people only get one appeal, and if they are still guilty, they get executed.
:iconrocktzar:
Rocktzar Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
If you ask me, the criminal's punishment should be decided by the victim/victim's relatives.
:iconimmer-frei:
Immer-Frei Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Well, how would that be fair to the family of the accused? Or fair at all, for that matter? It's almost certain they will want the accused to die. Then, appeals would flood in, spending more and more money on court costs.
:iconrocktzar:
Rocktzar Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
A criminal makes his choices. His family and himself should accept responsibility and face the consequences.
I think it should be the victim's/victim's family's right to carry out the punishment (if they want to).

If you have a different view on punishment altogether, I can understand not agreeing.
:iconmadamedevoltaire:
MadameDeVoltaire Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist
You mean something like vendetta?
Add a Comment: