NRA = No Real Answers or Blame Video Games

The National Rifle Association's answer to the recent mass shooting that claimed the lives of children was pretty simple:

Militarize schools with armed guards. (Costing tax payers 5 billion a year)
Create a national data base of mentally ill people.(Not weapons)
Blame video games.(Because the 11,000 gun deaths in 2012 were a direct result of video games, not bullets)

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" - Wayne LaPierre

"How many more copycats are waiting in the wings?"
"How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?"
- Wayne LaPierre

LaPierre announced that former Rep. Asa Hutchison, R-Ark., will lead an NRA program that will develop a model security plan for schools that relies on armed volunteers.

He blamed video games, movies and music videos.

LaPierre went on to say the video games industry is a "shadow industry"
and mentioned games like Mortal Combat, GTA, Bullet Storm, and of all things, Splatterhouse.

That's right, bullets do not kill people, video games do.
The same video games that have time after time been proven to NOT
create psychopaths.

No mention was made of a national data base of registered firearms.
There were no talk about the 'need' for semi-automatic weapons in society.

Links:
[link]
[link]
[link]

Comments587
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I know that the NRA is like some big scary bogeyman to lots of people that is totally evil and devoid of any humanity whatsoever, but if the phrasing you gave their claims is accurate, then I have to agree with 2 of the three claims.

First, armed security guards at school.
I know it makes it look scary and militaristic, but these people are [ideally] trained professionals set in the schools for the sake of "guarding" "security".
I went to Leuzinger high school which was pretty much, for lack of a better word, "totally ghetto" and they had lots of security guards (male and female).
They didn't feel like some dark, evil presence on campus though, and even the kids who got in trouble all the time seemed to get along with them.
Sure, that was high school, but maybe an armed presence at elementary schools would teach kids the right attitude to have toward police: if you're not doin' anything wrong, then they don't have to be scary.
Basically, I'm saying that security guards, even armed ones, can be beneficial to both the safety of the school and to the growing worldview of the students.

Second, guns don't just get up and discharge themselves into crowds.
They have to be picked up, loaded, aimed, and the trigger has to be pulled.
That old cliche about "guns don't kill people, people kill people" ia a true one, so having better background and phychological tests for people trying to get permits to own a gun seems much more effective.

The thing about video games, I don't really agree with.
I know lots of gamers who play violent games (I myself am a huge survival horror fan) that aren't violent people.
I haven't done a lot of study on the issue though...

I don't personally own a gun, but I know people who do that aren't criminals, who don't think that life is expendable, and who aren't the cold-blooded monsters that gun-owners are made out to be lately.

But anyway, here's a PBS article about how most criminals get their guns: [link]
Most of them are bought illegally.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on so long ^^;
We all know how criminals get their guns.

Posting guards at all schools is a multi-billion dollar issue.

The expired assault weapons ban was total bullshit and the upcoming new bans will also be stupid and superficial.

You didn't ramble because you used the space bar:P
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was talking down to you ^^;

But there really are a lot of people who still think that criminals get their guns through legal means.
(Our pres and VP for example...)
I heard NRA just recently gave out their own shooting game for iphones lol
Yes, it was targeting children
Yes, and you know what's their target audience? 4 year olds.
To ratchet up the hypocrisy, the NRA just yesterday released a shooting game.

One can only hope they soon release an AR-15 DLC to the app store.
I want automatic shotguns and flamethrower upgrades:P
Mortal Kombat is too violent because of the Martial Arts and blood

God of War is violent because, ugh. ... SPARTA!

Halo is violent because of illegal Aliens.

But I'm sure the NRA knows how to set the standards in games :roll:
NRA is stupid, I remember a guy from the NRA found a game that involved killed children, but he didn't know it was a joke crude and stupid flash game mocking the NRA...
They don't care about facts. As long as it's something they can puke out in a soundbyte it's good to go. Because they already know the majority of gullible, fat, lazy Americans are not going to do any research.
I have been thinking about this topic for while and I came to a conclusion. The NRA is so rabid in the defence of their right to own a gun is because guns make you feel powerful and power is a very addictive drug. Pick up a hand gun and tell me you do not feel powerful.Just like a junkie tries everything to get more drugs or tries to justify its use of the drugs, the NRA is justifying its right. There is no diplomatic way around this. The fight is going to be a hard one but gun control has to be made stricter.
I have firearms. I don't feel more powerful, I feel more pressured to make sure I am responsible as all hell because all guns must be treated as if they're loaded.

You know what's power?
Buying a case of condoms two days before Spring Break.:P
Why do you own a gun and what type?

Nope, that is not power, that is wishful thinking :D
I own many, mainly for hunting, some for target shooting. I also have swords, knives, and chainsaws. Because chainsaws are not only for clearing dead trees, they're awesome!:headbang:
Because venison is awesome. Deer herds need culling. I like food!
I am not sure if this has been mentioned in this huge thread, but the Obama Administation's gun control committee (re: VP Biden) has urged video game developers to stop putting violence in their games.

Not to mention that Senator Boxer, D-CA, has suggested to Biden that the government should go with arming our public schools. Sorry bro, but it ain't just them rightwing hicks espousing these ideas.
Citation, please.
Call me crazy but last I checked Biden was asking Videogame companies ADVICE.
Really? You can't be bothered to seek this out for yourself?